Thread: Simple twisted copper bangle

Default Simple twisted copper bangle

Whilst waiting for a delivery of silver wire , well, to cut a long story short the wait got a bit drawn-out (pun intended).

So to fill the unwelcome inactivity I went into the loft and hoping it was nothing too vital, stripped out a bit of copper wire - on a health and safety front it is probably advisable to check that the wire's not carrying current before cutting into anything (I'll try to take my own advice next time ). I pared off the coatings, drew it through nylon pliers a few times and then embarked on a trial into twisting wire. The first example was quickly claimed by my daughter. This is the second.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bangle_CopperTwist-01.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	5641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bangle_CopperTwist-01b.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	5642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bangle_CopperTwist-01c.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	5643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bangle_CopperTwist-01d.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	5644

Very neat. A bunch of those would look good too. Does the metal give you grubby arms though?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Very neat. A bunch of those would look good too. Does the metal give you grubby arms though?
    It would but the plan is to get some everbrite (/similar) to coat the copper. Apparently it does wear off but can be re-treated.

I always said I would never work in copper, but I have a couple of things in progress at the moment - and I have to say I'm rather enjoying it. It's easy to work with (and is a beautiful metal) and absolutely no fear of trashing it (save the pain of stripping some more) giving good freedom to experiment.

Yes, I agree. I was going to mention that if you want a pain free way of buying copper wire you might consider earthing cable. A metre contains quite a number of useful strands, about 1.6mm in diameter and only one cover to slit and peel back. They can be drawn down, or straightened by annealing and stretching. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seven Strands Of Copper Wire.jpg  

Thanks we'll see how we go .. I have around a dust-bin-ful so it could take a while. Since it is old wiring it has a single thicker earth which I used to make a pendant-chain and three thinner wires (I've not gauged them) which I stripped for this bangle.

I've just twisted up the three thinner wires then twisted them together. Now I just need and end purpose