Thread: Earring stud posts?

Default Earring stud posts?

Anyone here make their own stud posts rather than buy the premade? If so how do you approach it? - I've only made a couple of sets of stud earrings so far but still it seems like I should also be making the pins as I use SS wire already.

Cheers and as ever, be well all.

Shaun/FloWolF

I make pretty much all my stud earring posts. I tend to prefer 0.8mm wire as that's the size tolerated by pretty much any normal piercing (some ears can be irritated by anything thicker). I twist the wire after soldering and before trimming to ensure it's hard and use a pair of slightly modified round nosed pliers to make the groove for holding the butterfly. I do, however, tend to buy in said butterflies as the time taken to make the fiddly little things is hard to justify for lower cost pieces!

Thanks mizgeorge - thanks for the pliers tip it was making the groove I was most concerned about.

Cheers!

Shaun/FloWolF

I am normally all for making my own, but over the years I have grown fond of the double notch ear posts from Karl Fischer. Try as I might I can't consistently make them this well:

http://www.goldschmiedebedarf.de/sea...fKey=_4lYhDZnm

They are 54s/s at the bottom of the page. I buy the scrolls there as well, because I like the pattern, but they are more expensive than those sourced in UK.

Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fischer Findings.jpg  

I didn't get on with the Fischer ones at all Dennis - much too thick for me and for many of my customers as well, unfortunately. I wish they made a 0.8mm version as I'd happily use them if they did.

I use 0.8mm too George, I carefully score the post with a 3 square needle file, can be a little bit fiddly!!

I know the original post is a few months old, however maybe this will help someone else with a similar question. Its from good ol Ganoksin and it is about making your own earring posts. Lots of good tips.

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/earpost.htm

...and I though it was going to be forever until I was able to post something helpful on here.... :p

I make my own ear wires and always have, normally out of 0.9mm wire. If you blunt an old pair of end cutters you can make a groove in the ends easily without cutting through.

Quote Originally Posted by emsterv View Post
    I know the original post is a few months old, however maybe this will help someone else with a similar question. Its from good ol Ganoksin and it is about making your own earring posts. Lots of good tips.

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/earpost.htm

...and I though it was going to be forever until I was able to post something helpful on here.... :p
    Useful tips indeed - thanks!

I've used that trick with the altered pliers before for making electrical wire insulation strippers, never thought about it for earring post grooves - wonderful ',;~}~

Cheers, and be well,

Shaun.