PDA

View Full Version : Brown diamonds...clarity?

Simmo
01-06-2019, 05:41 PM
Hi I’m making a set of diamond earrings for my partner, they are 3.8mm stones and were sold as si1/si2.
I’ve never brought diamonds before, one of them seems to be right for si (from my research online) but the other has a blemish in it and I’m not so sure about it.
Can anyone give they’re opinion on it please?
I’ve added photos...
Thanks

ps_bond
01-06-2019, 08:42 PM
I can't really offer much of an opinion from the photo - and I'd emphasise that I'm not a qualified diamond grader - but SI1/SI2 diamonds may well have inclusions that are visible to the naked eye, not just under a loupe.

While under GIA specs SI means "visible under a loupe", there's nothing in the definitions that says "not visible without a loupe". Arguably, I or Pique might be better clarity definitions if they are though.

Best bet? Talk to the person you bought them from and raise your concerns with them directly.

Simmo
01-06-2019, 08:56 PM
I’m in talks with the seller regards the condition. Like I mentioned...I’ve never brought diamonds before so a little unsure, but I do think from clarity examples online that one of the diamonds is not an si, looks more to be i2/i3.

Dennis
01-06-2019, 09:11 PM
If in doubt send them back for credit and buy frm a well known and trusted trader, such as AE Ward in Hatton Garden. You will get exactly what you asked for and they will be a matching pair.

Best of all, visit their showroom and choose for yourself. You will find them patient and helpful. Dennis.

china
02-06-2019, 06:05 AM
Are A E ward still in business ?

pearlescence
02-06-2019, 07:00 AM
If in doubt send them back for credit and buy frm a well known and trusted trader, such as AE Ward in Hatton Garden. You will get exactly what you asked for and they will be a matching pair.

Best of all, visit their showroom and choose for yourself. You will find them patient and helpful. Dennis.

If they were bought over the net you can require a refund,that's European law. You don't even have to give a reason. But to me, unskilled in diamond stuff but skilled in matching (pearls) they are certainly not a matched pair.

Dennis
02-06-2019, 11:33 AM
Yes AE Ward are still there, and your glasses would mist over if you visited on a busy day. Dennis.

CJ57
02-06-2019, 11:38 AM
It must depend on all sorts of factors, who you bought them from, whether you asked for a matching pair, etc As a non expert on diamonds I’d be going to a reputable business in the hope the advice and service they gave me was honourable because I’m not sure I’d be able to argue about quality if I didn’t know anything about them and I’m speaking from a personal viewpoint

china
02-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Interesting, I sent five email's in the last week attempting to purchase I received no reply I assumed they had closed, well their loss I had to go elsewhere

pearlescence
02-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Refunds are legally required for all returned online purchases. That's the law. Doesn't matter why you are returning them.

Simmo
02-06-2019, 05:31 PM
I kind of don’t want to go elsewhere as they’re a good deal. I’ve spoken to them and they’re arranging to exchange the rubbish one so should be all good hopefully