PDA

View Full Version : Creating spring ends - help please

Petal
25-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Have I got this right guys??

I'd like to have a go at making my own spring ends with sterling wire.

I am hoping that as I coil the (1mm?) wire round, it will work harden? Then when I put in my thong and press the end of the coil, that it will keep it in place? Would you suggest a dab of glue as well, or should just squishing the end of the coil with my pliers be enough?

Is 1mm wire ok to use for this (I'd like to put 2-3 widths of thong in, so want to create something that looks really stylish), but works.

:help:

All tips and hints gratefully received.

Thanks

Boo
25-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Do you mean like on the ends of this necklace of mine:

necklace6053f on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/boojewels/3836633759/)

On those I used 0.8mm copper and don't glue, just squeeze the last coil into the thong to grip it - I both bend the cut end in so that it snags in, but also contract the whole last loop so that it's tight on the outside too, before it sinks into the thong.

I don't glue (I rarely glue anything) because if I want to shorten it for a customer, I can cut the last half loop off, shorten the PVC and re-attach it. I've done it enough times at craft fairs to not be inclined to glue.

Petal
25-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Do you mean like on the ends of this necklace of mine:

necklace6053f on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/boojewels/3836633759/)

On those I used 0.8mm copper and don't glue, just squeeze the last coil into the thong to grip it - I both bend the cut end in so that it snags in, but also contract the whole last loop so that it's tight on the outside too, before it sinks into the thong.

I don't glue (I rarely glue anything) because if I want to shorten it for a customer, I can cut the last half loop off, shorten the PVC and re-attach it. I've done it enough times at craft fairs to not be inclined to glue.

Yes, Boo that's exactly what I want to do. Thanks for the piccie of your thong - its a 1,000 times nicer than the illustration in my book.

You mention bending the cut end in - which end?
You mention contracting the whole last loop - thats the loop before the one that gets squished, isn't it?

Thanks for the tip about making a longer length, because that way, you can shorten the length, if needed.

Cheeky question - how do you get the two lovely rings on top of the coils, that the hook clasp is attached to? That's so professional and I'd love to make my findings look that good. Its a lot to ask, but is there a vid./drawing where I can work out how to do something similar to yours??

Thanks again. []

p.s. I've had another look at your piccie and think I've worked it out. Thanks so much for your help !! :X I'll post a piccie later - for some constructive honest feedback. thanks.

Boo
25-09-2009, 10:28 AM
I do have some photos of one at stages being made, as I was going to do a tutorial on them, as every time I make a batch I have to remember which way to turn things. So if you get stuck I can maybe put something quickly together.

By the last coil, I mean the one down the thong, not the one near the clasp - I gradually tighten the last coil around the thong by working round the circumference tightening a little at a time, so it has a slightly narrower diameter than those above it and then squeeze the cut end into the thong itself to finally grip in.

I make them off-thong the right diameter and slip them over the end, you can't wrap them round that consistently circular.

Di Sandland
25-09-2009, 11:18 AM
I make them off-thong the right diameter and slip them over the end, you can't wrap them round that consistently circular.

So that's you do it. I am constantly amazed by the eveness of your wrapping.

Petal
25-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Oh one thing I forgot to ask, how much length of wire do you use? or is that a 'how long is a piece of string' kind of question.

Yes, I think like you I'll take piccies of processes, as I do have a habit of forgetting how to do things. Ah thanks for offering to put something together for me - that's really kind. But only if you've got time, 'cos I know how busy we all are.

Sorry about taking so long to reply - I got 'hijacked' into helping out muminlaw with some sewing help.

Cheers v much

Boo
25-09-2009, 12:14 PM
I think these thong ends are the only thing I coil first, most wire wrapping is done on the piece. I always wrap with pliers, I don't think you have the strength and control in your fingers to hand hold it - and whenever someone is having problems with wrapping, it transpires they've been trying to do it with their fingers.

I make them straight off the length of wire, I don't cut it first, so I'm not sure how much it uses - although crunching some numbers, I'd guess around 5" each for the ones in the photo. I start from the end away from the clasp, coil until I have the length I want, about 8 rounds, then cut it the right length to make the double loop on top and finish from there.

I'll look at the photos later for you, we only finally decided yesterday to go on holiday after all, so I'm trying to get through various work that needs finishing and a monster pile of laundry and ironing. The photos are in an unfinished state and, I hope, saved on an external drive. So I'll have to come back to it, I'm not at my desk at the moment.

But I'll do something for you.

Petal
25-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Dont worry about it Boo. You've given me loads of info to work with and I now understand how I'm going to tackle it. Go on holiday and have a good rest. I've got enough stock for my up-coming stall, so no need for me to panic. I always have a 'I haven't got enough stock' panic before a show and then its usually fine.

Have a lovely time.

Petal
25-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Yipee, I've done it. Thanks SO MUCH Boo for all your help - its made a huge difference.

The first one I made is on the left - awful.

The second attempt is on the right, much better. The other 'thing' is my first S connector. Pretty awful, but not made for a first attempt.

Cheers guys. =D>

Di Sandland
25-09-2009, 04:08 PM
ooh, nice. That Boo's a goodun!

Boo
25-09-2009, 04:25 PM
This is a quick post and dash - I won't get chance to write it up properly, I started a page on my tutorial site, but it was going to take more time fiddling than I have just now. I've prepared the photos ready though, so I'll post them - it should be fairly self-explanatory. I can only post 4 images, so I'll have to do it in 2 parts.

Make your initial coil and cut off the wire with a good inch or so remaining - enough to make two full turns of the wire. Start coiling it back towards the main coil - keeping the coils the same side of the wire as the original coil - that's the bit I always struggle to remember and when you do it the wrong way, it doesn't sit as well:

http://www.boo.myzen.co.uk/cordend5689.jpg

http://www.boo.myzen.co.uk/cordend5690.jpg

When you have your 2 full turns you should be back against the original coil. Start twisting it round - rotating it in the same direction as you did the turns in the wire, but now bringing those two loops on top of the original coil.

http://www.boo.myzen.co.uk/cordend5681.jpg

Carry on rotating and twisting it so that it tightens up and sits perpendicular to the original coil - sitting nicely on top of it in the centre:

http://www.boo.myzen.co.uk/cordend5685.jpg

Give it a little final twist to tighten all the gaps - you can see a little daylight under the pliers where there's still some slack, another part turn will close that up tight.

Boo
25-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Part 2:

If your length of wire was right when you cut it, the cut end should just nestle in the hollow top of the original coil, out of the way - this one is a few mm short ideally. I'd normally trim it flush at both ends to finish.

http://www.boo.myzen.co.uk/cordend5686.jpg

This is why you need to coil it the right side of the wire, to get a nice neat twist like this, done the other way, doesn't sit neatly:

http://www.boo.myzen.co.uk/cordend5687.jpg

Di Sandland
25-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Boo, you are a bloody marvel. Now go on holiday!

bustagasket
25-09-2009, 04:31 PM
bloody hell, how do you people all get so knowledgeable :'(

Boo
25-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention. I couldn't find a tutorial to make them, so I had to figure it out myself. It took a pile of failed ones before I got the right action. It's very easy and certainly when you see if illustrated like that. But I probably made 20 before I was happy with the exact technique and could replicate it reliably. Hence I took photos last time I made a batch so I could do a tutorial.

Petal
25-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Unxxxbelievable! Absolutely marvelicious Boo ! You're an absolute gem []

That's why it wouldn't sit right! *-:) uuuuum, I'll have to use my round nose pliers until I get the ones in the piccie - they are perfect for the job! Now get packing and have a lovely holiday and tell us all about it when you get back.

:ta::ta:

Lots of Love

Solunar Silver Studio
25-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Those pliers are a neat bit of kit...where do they come from...? I've had a quick look on 'the site' but can't find them...:(

Di Sandland
25-09-2009, 05:10 PM
I think the P word do them

Solunar Silver Studio
25-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Think I'll have to go for a 'P' then!!:D

Boo
25-09-2009, 05:13 PM
I had to go back into my previous orders to find them as I couldn't remember their name:

Multi-sized Looping Pliers - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/product_detail.jsp?prod_search=999+CB12&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=submit)

The sections aren't as reliably and consistently round as I'd like, they're a bit roughly shaped, but I still use them a great deal.

Petal
25-09-2009, 05:18 PM
uuum, I was hoping that S did them, but they are not in my catalogue! Oh bugger. What are they called?

Petal
25-09-2009, 05:21 PM
ooooh, that was quick. What a shame, I could have ordered them with my wire that I've just received from Cookies. #-o

Di Sandland
25-09-2009, 05:22 PM
I had to go back into my previous orders to find them as I couldn't remember their name:

Multi-sized Looping Pliers - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/product_detail.jsp?prod_search=999+CB12&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=submit)

The sections aren't as reliably and consistently round as I'd like, they're a bit roughly shaped, but I still use them a great deal.

Oh wow, I stand corrected and they're in my basket :Y:

Petal
25-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Yes, they are in mine too!

Green Beetle
26-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the coiling demo, Boo. Off now to try it for myself. I won't be posting the results!

Emerald
26-09-2009, 11:49 AM
although i do like those pliers be careful they do mark the metal could do with the same thing but one flat nose please lol

Kalorlo
26-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I've seen ones on eBay called 3 step pliers that have three sizes of round on one jaw and are flat on the other. Cookson don't seem to do them, though.

Solunar Silver Studio
26-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Thing is with the Cookson ones - you get 6 different sizes...which I think is really useful!! I plan to dip t'other side to what I am using in 'Tool Magic' which peels off easily when you want to swap sides!!