PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for a jeweller to sort out my engagement ring?

poppymoon
26-04-2019, 11:04 AM
Finally got around to booking our wedding yesterday. It's in 5 weeks time. Before this, I'd like my engagement ring replated (white gold) but there's a problem......

Since the ring has been on my finger I've gained a lot of weight and it's stuck. Nothing will remove it apart from cutting it off, meaning that it would need a new shank in a bigger size. I'm not sure if this is possible with the way the stones are set though so would anyone mind giving me some advice as to whether it's possible if I post some photos or if I should try to get it remodelled somehow?

ps_bond
26-04-2019, 11:13 AM
Pictures would be useful. Depends entirely on the settings as to how readily the shank can be enlarged.

poppymoon
26-04-2019, 11:21 AM
Pic:11979
(not sure if this will work so bear with me)

ps_bond
26-04-2019, 11:24 AM
Looks doable. The trick is not moving the setting while reshaping the shank. I'd laser it, personally.

poppymoon
26-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Feeling a bit relieved that it's doable. Problem is finding somewhere to get it done.

Any ideas? Midlands based.

ps_bond
26-04-2019, 11:41 AM
I can do it if you're happy posting it (I'd advocate RMSD).

Dennis
26-04-2019, 11:45 AM
In the mean time try this when you finger is at its thinnest: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=how+to+remove+a+tight+finger+ring Dennis.

poppymoon
26-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Already tried that Dennis. Only gained a very throbby finger. I have gained a lot of weight due to my love of food but also have to take medication to deal with a stupid brain tumour thing that seems to cause a lot of bloating.

poppymoon
26-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Thank you Peter. Could you message me an approx cost and timescale for it please? If it's really high I'd rather have another one and maybe have these little stones made into something else in the future.

As an aside, is it true that I really shouldn't wear platinum or palladium next to 18ct as it will wear it away?