PDA

View Full Version : Neckwires.Anyone make their own?

CJ57
24-04-2019, 04:11 PM
Does anyone make their own neckwires? I usually use the Cookson omega but as they don’t stock the longer lengths I have to buy them from Curteis, I hate their website and I think they’ve got expensive.
Looking for other chain stockist too, I usually use belcher but thought a change would be good but it’s so difficult to choose online and time is limited

china
24-04-2019, 04:45 PM
I make my own they are just like really big jump rings, I can't get Argentium over 1.6 in Australia so I have to get the thicker stuff if I want it From Cookson

CJ57
24-04-2019, 04:57 PM
I think we’re maybe talking at cross purposes Bob. I was thinking more like these https://www.cooksongold.com/Finished-Chain/Sterling-Silver-1.0mm-Omega-Necklet-1845cm-Unhallmarked-prcode-VVI-OFR. I think I’ll have to stick with Curteis

china
24-04-2019, 05:27 PM
Ah yes my mistake, not concentrating getting my gear together, for the ANZAC dawn service then the march representing my father, Kilt seems to be shrinking ( or maybe I am expanding )

mizgeorge
24-04-2019, 05:35 PM
Have you tried W J Sutton? https://www.925jewellery.co.uk/ - good prices and a pretty wide range - not always using the same chain names though, so it takes a bit of ploughing through to find what you're looking for.

CJ57
24-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Thanks George. I hadn’t thought of them, will have a look.

Kilts tend to shrink over time Bob:) put an extra hole or 2 in the buckle and move the buttons

china
25-04-2019, 02:11 PM
Yeh may have to do that, have a new one being made over your side of the world as we speak, ( Strathmore woolen Company) I got a very strong hint that I should get a new one in the right Tartan, my partner is guest of honer at
her upcoming college reunion in August, I had to order it now, apparently the mills shut down for the year in Scotland at the end of August, and the local maker has stopped taking orders until after Christmas.

CJ57
25-04-2019, 06:10 PM
There is a good kiltmaker quite near to me, I’ve never heard of anything like that happening

china
26-04-2019, 07:01 AM
So this thread is not too of topic I have put my reply in the Lounge https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

theresa
29-04-2019, 04:46 PM
I also use the Omega - do you find it's too easy to kink, Caroline? Been a bit disappointed with them recently. I would like to find a multi cable one but no success yet.

CJ57
29-04-2019, 06:48 PM
I use the 1.5 Theresa. I measured my other ones from Cookson and the 1mm was anything between .8 and .9 and the 1.2 were about 1.12, that’s useless really. They used to do a 3 strand which was quite nice but I see they’re selling .8 and 1mm to make your own so I suppose you could strand them up.
Curteis 18 in 1.5 arrived and they are good but their website is so difficult to understand. that I bought a foot of snake when I understood their wording that they were selling in 3 ft lengths:/ I have a useless ft of 3 mm snake now. I ordered more chain on the phone and I have no idea how much I spent , I wasn’t impressed really