PDA

View Full Version : Wax carving Vs. CAD modeling

marcos9999
13-04-2019, 04:08 AM
Hi all,

Just want to hear people's experiences with wax carving and also with CAD modeling. Your views and comments? Weaknesses and strengths of these different methods.

Thanks

josef1
13-04-2019, 11:13 AM
I mill wax to make my models I also hand carve a bit I find they complement each other. Hand carving is difficult and time consuming milling takes time but once the machine is running you can be doing other things.

this was cad and milled but its quicker to manually fit the bail on after

Vawny
12-07-2019, 12:45 AM
Wow that's beautiful Josef.

Myself, I have only hand carved so far, but may have to do a little of both in future due to a worsening wrist/ hand condition; I appreciate the artistry of both. I like the detail and accuracy that can be obtained by CAD, but also like that someone has sat down and hand carved something... not perfect maybe, but more personal I think.

I'd be interested in more people's opinions too xx

enigma
12-07-2019, 08:45 AM
I hand carve and have no idea how to use CAD so can't really compare but I have sent a couple of things that I wouldn't want to do by hand to Jo to CAD and been very happy with the results, this was one:
I felt it would be too small and tricky to hand carve and I find symmetry tough too.
This is the kind of thing I make from peoples photos:
https://sarahfoxfineart.co.uk/a1-gallery3.asp?roomID=7605&pictureID=96051

Goldsmith
12-07-2019, 10:09 AM
I have only hand modelled my waxes for casting, I rarely use castings but some items must be cast, like this silver stag I made for an antique restoration job i the past.

James