PDA

View Full Version : Can you glue diamonds in pearls?

MilkyDiamond
22-03-2019, 02:02 PM
I often see contemporary designers setting diamonds on other gems like pearls, opals, agates etc... some of the diamonds are bezel set before setting in the other gems. But some are just “sitting” there. Like the picture below. Are they glued on? I can’t think of any other options to create this “flush” effect.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190322/c34962bc160e74232060f26675967137.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ankolosova
22-03-2019, 02:45 PM
I would suggest glued in.... if you do not see metal in... or I can imagine another way out if you take drillled thru bead and you use 1 diam drill on one side (smaller ones) and bigger diameter on the other side half way enough to pull gem thru... then stick pin from earring and glue it in..... well that's me imagining _)))

Dennis
22-03-2019, 03:05 PM
Seems a bit of a waste to glue in a diamond, as it would loose lot of its sparkle. After all that's what you are paying for.
If I were doing it, I would use foil backed chatons, which are unaffected by glue. Dennis.

MilkyDiamond
22-03-2019, 03:09 PM
Seems a bit of a waste to glue in a diamond, as it would loose lot of its sparkle. After all that's what you are paying for.
If I were doing it, I would use foil backed chatons, which are unaffected by glue. Dennis.

Yea if they’re 2mm melees I see the point of gluing

CJ57
22-03-2019, 06:19 PM
She might have tube set them and drilled the pearl right through. The only way to know for sure would be to ask the designer how she made these commission pieces

pearlescence
23-03-2019, 08:23 AM
The pearls are really low grade, so I am at a loss to understand why someone would set pearls worth ...well, probably 10p each... in white gold with diamonds. The pearls are full drilled and the stones have been glued in to hide that fact

MilkyDiamond
23-03-2019, 08:32 AM
She might have tube set them and drilled the pearl right through. The only way to know for sure would be to ask the designer how she made these commission pieces

I did ask her. She wouldn’t reply

MilkyDiamond
23-03-2019, 08:33 AM
The pearls are really low grade, so I am at a loss to understand why someone would set pearls worth ...well, probably 10p each... in white gold with diamonds. The pearls are full drilled and the stones have been glued in to hide that fact

I think this is so far the most accurate answer

CJ57
23-03-2019, 12:17 PM
I did ask her. She wouldn’t reply

I’m not sure I would have either if someone asked for the detail of how I made something

MilkyDiamond
23-03-2019, 01:13 PM
I’m not sure I would have either if someone asked for the detail of how I made something

Lol I don’t see the harm in sharing

Dennis
23-03-2019, 01:49 PM
Lol I don’t see the harm in sharing

If people spend time and money developing a product and then it sells well, they are unlikely to share their secrets with the competition.
No offence intended, but you must surely see that the point of a business is to sell things, not to give them away. Dennis.

ps_bond
23-03-2019, 02:15 PM
If they're prepared to share their techniques in teaching then that's one way.
Alternatively, you can buy their product and see how it was made.

Unlike the forum, where knowledge sharing is de rigeur, there's no obligation for them to share techniques.

Personally, I'd tube set and glue the tube in place if I was going to do that - but I can think of a few more complex ways of doing it that don't involve glue too...

pearlescence
23-03-2019, 03:45 PM
Milky, when your ability to eat depends on making stuff, you keep how you make stuff to yourself
People ask me how I buy pearls. I tell them I go to Hong Kong and look at thousands and thousands
They ask me who I buy from. I've spent nearly 20 years building a list of reliable and straight suppliers. That, in some ways is my business. If you want to buy my business I'll tell, But otherwise, no

MilkyDiamond
23-03-2019, 04:41 PM
I’m not saying jewellers are obligated to answer questions about how they make their jewellery. At first I just wanted to know if it’s glued bc it seems like there’s no other way. All of those are out of curiosity. Also thought gluing was a simple yes or no question. Not about preying trade secrets

ps_bond
23-03-2019, 06:03 PM
There are also times where I can tell someone how I make something, but I know that it'll take them quite a while (and a certain amount of trial & error) before they can get close. By that time, I should have been able to up my game too.

pearlescence
23-03-2019, 09:53 PM
There's a huge difference between sharing tips between friends and colleagues and knowing that they will reciprocate, and responding to a request to disclose something which might be commercially valuable to a complete stranger.

theresa
27-03-2019, 05:43 PM
I saw something similar being made (a stone in a Turquoise cab), a tube was glued in, burred to fit the stone and then the stone was flush set in the usual way.