PDA

View Full Version : Making multiple blanks

Petal
14-03-2019, 06:51 PM
Hiya all,

I'd like to make small batches 3cm by 3cm square (say 5-10) of earrings & pendants so that they are the same size and a consistent shape. I've tried using pliers, hammering with various hammers, sawing a line across the sheet and then folding it, but all the results so far have been inconsistent.

What would be the best way to do this:-

1. A pierced brass template which I can put through the rolling mill, sandwiched between two sheets of silver, to give it some shape?, or
2. By making a wooden template that I can hammer the silver into ?
3. Shape some polymorph and then hammer my piece into it?

Any recommendations or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jules xx

joella
14-03-2019, 07:15 PM
Good question, I’d be interested in the answer too. I think it may be pancake dies and a vice, I haven’t used pancake dies yet, but it would seem reasonable, I think. Or maybe silhouette dies if you don’t want it flat, but I think you might need a hydraulic press for that, unless you can use a vice for that too?
Sue

Petal
14-03-2019, 09:16 PM
Hi Sue,

It looks like silhouette dies then, as I don't want them flat, but rounded and sort of art deco'ish. I'll have a go with the vice tomorrow, when I get into the workshop.

Dennis
14-03-2019, 10:41 PM
Hi Jules,
As already said by Sue, you need to cut your shapes out in perspex, or perspex reinforced with brass (for longer runs), leaving a generous border and a thickness for the metal to bottom out, or not as the case might be.

The metal is forced in with rubber in a press. As urethane tends to squash sideways and is best used in a container, I prefer neoprene pieces of various thicknesses.

Unfortunately you need a generous border for your metal too, so creating waste and the metal needs to be annealed frequently or it will burst. For small items 0.5-0.6mm sheet is about right

My pictures show what can be done, but I am not sure a vice will be strong enough. I think you will want a hydraulic press minimum 10tons. Dennis

Dennis
14-03-2019, 10:49 PM
I meant to add this further picture, showing the effect of bottoming out.