PDA

View Full Version : Rock, Gem 'n' Bead Show Kempton Park

TDA20
16-02-2019, 04:45 PM
I'm thinking of going to the Rock, Gem 'n' Bead Show for the first time in March
Until now I've only ever bought stones online. Would you recommend the show? Any tips for a first timer?

Any info much appreciated!

Tess

pearlescence
16-02-2019, 07:15 PM
First thing I would find out how many sellers and who - then you can check their websites.
If there's only one person selling what you are looking for you might be better going to them direct

Dennis
16-02-2019, 10:40 PM
It's a long time since I have been to Kempton Park. It was one of the better shows, but even at the time, the number of gemstone sellers was reducing in favour of rocks, fossils, tumbled stones and made up imported jewellery.
So as Wendy has said, you must browse the exhibitor list and decide whether it is really worth the journey.
Added to that it is out in the sticks and best approached by car. Outside the racing season, there are no trains to the nearest station and you might be in for a wet and lonely walk. Dennis.

TDA20
16-02-2019, 10:52 PM
Pearlescent and Dennis, thank you both for the advice. I will have a look at the exhibitors list and decide whether it's worth going.

pearlescence
17-02-2019, 06:52 AM
Of course, if you want to do some serious buying you need to go to one of the big shows, such as Tucson or Hong Kong.

china
17-02-2019, 10:30 AM
I have been having a look at Tucson on youtube in the last week looks like a very big concern one day maybe I will get there

Dennis
17-02-2019, 10:44 AM
Inhorgenta in Munich is coming up now. There will be hundreds of gemstone sellers and tools as well. You need about three days to take it all in.
https://www.inhorgenta.com/visitors/planning-your-visit/tickets-prices/index.html?etcc_cmp=Inhorgenta_2019_Besucher_Brand _International&etcc_grp=Brand%20-%20International&etcc_med=SEA&etcc_par=Google&etcc_bky=%2Binhorgenta%20%2B2019&etcc_mty=b&etcc_plc=&etcc_ctv=326978625739&etcc_bde=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3-Shu8rC4AIVbrXtCh01GgvOEAAYASAAEgJbf_D_BwE Dennis.

misspond
17-02-2019, 08:34 PM
I usually pop along to this show as it's the one closest to me. It's initially a bit overwhelming when you go in but it helps if you have an idea of what you're after. Then like any other expedition, check everything out and go back to the pieces you like that are at the price you're happy with. It's not so big that after a couple of circuits you'll not be able to remember where you want to go back to. Making a few notes for yourself doesn't hurt either.
I mostly buy cabochons and have a price point I won't go above, and the bonus is after a couple of visits you get to know what's a good price for a particular quality of stone (which in turn helps when buying online so long as you feel the photos accurately show the stone).
Have fun!

TDA20
17-02-2019, 08:34 PM
Tucson does look amazing and Hong Kong would be fun. May plan a trip one day when my making skills are better...
Inhorgenta is a lot closer to home, shame it's next week. There's always 2020 ;)

pearlescence
17-02-2019, 09:32 PM
You might be surprised at how cheap flights to HK are, and you can get very cheap accommodation also. If anyone ever does want a guide, do let me know. I spend all five days in just the pearl hall and there are 15 halls. It is that big

TDA20
17-02-2019, 10:18 PM
You might be surprised at how cheap flights to HK are, and you can get very cheap accommodation also. If anyone ever does want a guide, do let me know. I spend all five days in just the pearl hall and there are 15 halls. It is that big

Ooh that does sound amazing!

pearlescence
18-02-2019, 09:02 AM
It's amazingly amazing...intense and hard work too.
I might even venture into the diamond hall next week..I have a yen for some pink diamonds. Imagine about 150 sellers, every single one with stalls of diamonds...

china
18-02-2019, 11:00 AM
Is that "a yen" or "some yen", Argyle Pink Diamonds are going to be a rather good investment if you you can obtain some ( lots and lots of money ) the mine is closing most likely next year and that will be the
end of Argyle pink Diamonds and they will just increase in value.

pearlescence
18-02-2019, 09:19 PM
I have USD, GBP. HKD,RMD,TBT for them. By the end of the trip I will be fluent in many currencies
I know nothing about diamonds, never mind pink ones. Is there only the one mine then? Where and why closing?

china
19-02-2019, 04:44 AM
Argyle Diamond mine in the Kimberley region of Western Australia is the largest supplier of coloured diamonds in the world, Argyle pink Diamonds are world renowned considered to be the best quality Pink Diamonds you can get, the top quality pieces are sold to dealers by tender only once per year. ( 50 or 60 pieces ) What they refer to as a 1PP grade 1 purplish pink sell around a million dollars a carat, of course there are much lower grades that still look stunning and can be had for much less.
The mine is closing simply because the economic yield rate, is no longer meeting the target, in other worlds they are longer finding enough to make it viable, Rio Tinto have other sites they are exploring but so far nothing has come up the Argyle mine.

pearlescence
19-02-2019, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the info, China. Much appreciated. I'm not in that price/quality set! I'll report back in due course

Ankolosova
19-02-2019, 10:33 AM
I always go tho their shows (when I can ofc) I love it, but tend to spend too much money! although I do enjoy talking to people! very friendly and kids love it too!