PDA

View Full Version : which white gouache?

NickD
08-02-2019, 09:11 AM
Just wondering if others use this for transferring designs and if so, which brand?
I've been using Windsor and Newton but it ain't cheap.
Do alternatives work as well which I suspect they might?
Mornin',
Nick

ps_bond
08-02-2019, 09:50 AM
Depends on the complexity of the design - sometimes I'll use permanent marker I scribe through, but for more detailed stuff (e.g. engraving) then I tend to use gouache. I've just checked mine - it's Winsor & Newton Designer's Gouache. You only use a tiny amount, smeared on with a finger, so a small tube goes a very long way. I've also used a 1/2 pan of student-grade Chinese White watercolour, applied with a damp finger, but I prefer the gouache.
Might be worth trying the cheap poster paints as a possible alternative?

In a pinch I've used car primer on steel, but never mind!

NickD
08-02-2019, 11:29 AM
Depends on the complexity of the design - sometimes I'll use permanent marker I scribe through, but for more detailed stuff (e.g. engraving) then I tend to use gouache. I've just checked mine - it's Winsor & Newton Designer's Gouache. You only use a tiny amount, smeared on with a finger, so a small tube goes a very long way. I've also used a 1/2 pan of student-grade Chinese White watercolour, applied with a damp finger, but I prefer the gouache.
Might be worth trying the cheap poster paints as a possible alternative?

In a pinch I've used car primer on steel, but never mind!

Yes, thanks Peter. What I do lately is draw sth in a sketch book, trace it, whiten the metal and then use carbon paper. Why oh why do I choose large designs.You're right, i'll buy sth cheaper and give it a go.
i have used metal primer before myself.
Cheers,
nick

CJ57
08-02-2019, 01:45 PM
I think I’ve used cheap poster paint in the past but it’s such a long time since I used the process I’d forgotten all about it