PDA

View Full Version : B__x_t Question....Really Sorry

art925
06-02-2019, 08:33 PM
So today I received a letter from our Customs and Border Control, outlining the steps I should take if I do business with the UK, in the event of a no deal "B". For others here based within the EU and if you currently trade to the UK, how is your country helping you prepare for a no deal "B"?

Thanks, Les.

pearlescence
07-02-2019, 06:38 AM
I'm in the UK and the stupid govt isn't helping us at all. From your viewpoint the tanking of the GBP means that any imports you make from the UK to the rest of the world are really cheap now, while for us of course, imports are around 20% dearer
If brexit happens then expect delays and massive confusion at the border so goods passing either way will be held up, no-one knows as yet whether we will be applying huge duty or none, or what sort of VAT or how much. The Customs people I cleared some goods through (hand carried) rolled their eyes and just sighed like really unhappy plumbers when I asked.
The UK government has yet to decide what it wants. The majority now want to remain and stop the whole thing. Expect chaos - and if it does happen next month, avoid the UK if you can.

enigma
07-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Absolutely nothing and our customs are so utterly inefficient I really don't know what Im going to do if all my UK orders have to come through customs here.
I shall probably have to have them sent to an EU country with better customs first then on to me here ( and yes they really are that bad- 3 months wait for anything and one time they even returned horsehair to a US customer after 3 months because it had 0 value declared).
On the plus side if I can get past that issue they will all be zero rated for VAT in the event of a no deal Brexit ( our VAT threshold is 10k here not 75 like the UK , everything over that and we pay 23%).

pearlescence
07-02-2019, 12:40 PM
You will have also to be careful about quality standards - it won't be just food (chlorine chicken folks) but metals - Americans still put nickel in their gold, silver and platings.
We could also see a deterioration in consumer protection laws - stuff like the UK Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations could go - good for sellers but a disaster if you buy online remotely

art925
07-02-2019, 01:48 PM
I'm in the UK and the stupid govt isn't helping us at all. From your viewpoint the tanking of the GBP means that any imports you make from the UK to the rest of the world are really cheap now, while for us of course, imports are around 20% dearer
If brexit happens then expect delays and massive confusion at the border so goods passing either way will be held up, no-one knows as yet whether we will be applying huge duty or none, or what sort of VAT or how much. The Customs people I cleared some goods through (hand carried) rolled their eyes and just sighed like really unhappy plumbers when I asked.
The UK government has yet to decide what it wants. The majority now want to remain and stop the whole thing. Expect chaos - and if it does happen next month, avoid the UK if you can.

To be honest I tend not to purchase supplies from the UK anymore and maybe I will stop selling to the UK depending on how the paperwork goes. Due to the fact that I have been actively working with British Nats across the EU for the past 18 months or so it is interesting to see how the different countries are readying for the event. I don't know if you personally sell to the EU but have you been made aware of steps to take?

art925
07-02-2019, 02:23 PM
Absolutely nothing and our customs are so utterly inefficient I really don't know what Im going to do if all my UK orders have to come through customs here.
I shall probably have to have them sent to an EU country with better customs first then on to me here ( and yes they really are that bad- 3 months wait for anything and one time they even returned horsehair to a US customer after 3 months because it had 0 value declared).
On the plus side if I can get past that issue they will all be zero rated for VAT in the event of a no deal Brexit ( our VAT threshold is 10k here not 75 like the UK , everything over that and we pay 23%).

You are in Portugal right Sarah? If I am correct, I think you mostly sell outside of the UK or EU, so the process will be mostly unchanged maybe you will have to account for more time at border control, I really don't know. Our guys are really ready and prepared. Happy I now have Dual Nat, so I have been focusing more on cross border sales to potentially replace my trading to the UK. The paperwork is a simpler affair for my small business. I personally don't tend to purchase any supplies from the UK anymore, but if you need help with making purchases from any of my suppliers I am happy to help.

We have been abandoned by our Embassy, but have you had any contact with your Embassy?

CJ57
07-02-2019, 04:14 PM
To be honest I tend not to purchase supplies from the UK anymore and maybe I will stop selling to the UK depending on how the paperwork goes. Due to the fact that I have been actively working with British Nats across the EU for the past 18 months or so it is interesting to see how the different countries are readying for the event. I don't know if you personally sell to the EU but have you been made aware of steps to take?

That may be an interesting issue too Les with British nats. They are starting to get quite jumpy with no deals in place for them so they seem to be depending on each country’s policy towards them and not many have been forthcoming. All a bit worrying for everyone

art925
07-02-2019, 07:23 PM
People are jumpy with good reason Caroline, our Embassies are less than useless so we have to rely on our respective countries. I live in hope that many countries gearing up for a No Deal are taking a pragmatic approach rather a pessimistic one. Hence my reason for the question.

CJ57
07-02-2019, 10:00 PM
I’m like Wendy hoping it’ll never happen but feeling quite despondent now especially as Scotland didn’t want to leave.

pearlescence
07-02-2019, 10:31 PM
From my perspective I already import stuff from the world (far east mostly) avoid America because of their nickel, and export to the world. It will mean more paperwork because the EU won't be so simple
however the UK market has died this week. People have, I think, finally realised that it is all real and not project fear scaremongering

art925
08-02-2019, 08:51 AM
I’m like Wendy hoping it’ll never happen but feeling quite despondent now especially as Scotland didn’t want to leave.

We came over to Scotland last summer, wild camping with a roof tent ontop of our Land Rover. I had forgotten how fantastic Scotland is, amazing new roads, wonderful new forests. If I ever come back to UK it will be to Scotland.

enigma
08-02-2019, 11:23 AM
You are in Portugal right Sarah? If I am correct, I think you mostly sell outside of the UK or EU, so the process will be mostly unchanged maybe you will have to account for more time at border control, I really don't know. Our guys are really ready and prepared. Happy I now have Dual Nat, so I have been focusing more on cross border sales to potentially replace my trading to the UK. The paperwork is a simpler affair for my small business. I personally don't tend to purchase any supplies from the UK anymore, but if you need help with making purchases from any of my suppliers I am happy to help.

We have been abandoned by our Embassy, but have you had any contact with your Embassy?

Hi Les

Yes Im in Portugal, where are you? Yes please to suppliers outside the UK, that would be much appreciated.
I buy everything from the UK currently as Portugal is awful for trying to find anything especially online.
My sales are around 50/50 UK/US with a very small number outside of those.
I have a meeting with my accountant scheduled for March to try and figure out what needs to be done re VAT etc but really my biggest issue will be my US and UK customers getting their horse hair to me without going through Portuguese customs as that would literally ruin my business.

enigma
08-02-2019, 11:27 AM
The president here is being very good, the UK and Portugal have a treaty long preceding the EU so I think things will be ok for UK nationals.
However that will obviously depend how the UK treats the Portuguese living there.
I think the main issue if there is one will be healthcare but I pay social charges here so should be ok I think.
Ive read a suggestion that healthcare for pensioners may not be covered and they may have to return to the UK for treatment which would be ridiculous given that it is cheaper for the UK to pay Spain etc for it anyway.
The whole thing is a **** show.

CJ57
08-02-2019, 11:30 AM
We came over to Scotland last summer, wild camping with a roof tent ontop of our Land Rover. I had forgotten how fantastic Scotland is, amazing new roads, wonderful new forests. If I ever come back to UK it will be to Scotland.
How do you put up new forests Les? :)

art925
12-02-2019, 08:22 AM
Will PM you Sarah

pearlescence
12-02-2019, 09:06 AM
Google 'the heart of england forest' Caroline

art925
12-02-2019, 11:14 AM
How do you put up new forests Les? :)

Missed your question, sorry...Haa I saw at least 2 newly planted forested areas, camped on the edge of one, pledged to return in 20 yrs to see how it has developed.

CJ57
12-02-2019, 11:21 AM
Google 'the heart of england forest' Caroline

Yes I know about tree planting I worked on conservation for 10 years but new forests take decades to grow. I know up the road that even the trees for harvesting take 20 to 30 years and we planted oaks and other hardwoods that I’m never going to see matured.Scotland has a lot of trees, Perthshire is my favourite

enigma
12-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Will PM you Sarah

Thanks Les :)

CJ57
12-02-2019, 06:13 PM
Missed your question, sorry...Haa I saw at least 2 newly planted forested areas, camped on the edge of one, pledged to return in 20 yrs to see how it has developed.
Och no Les they are just conifers, you want to get up to the ancient forest left up north. The forestry commission decimate the landscape once they’ve cut them down. I take issue with the mess they leave after the machines move out and it’s just areas of branches and litter everywhere. The borders have a huge industry going on down there. Might not be the same after the B word as I’m sure it goes to Europe