PDA

View Full Version : How to make this necklace? Double sided ball pins?

bru89
25-01-2019, 10:56 PM
Hello! I would like to make some jewellery with these type of dangles but I have no idea how they make them. They look like double sided ball pins? :confused:

Can anyone help?

Thank you so much!

misspond
26-01-2019, 08:45 AM
Hi, I've never tried this but have seen it discussed a lot. Instructions I've seen say make the first ball, thread through the bead and I would assume in this instance through the chain and using tweezers/third hand hold the bottom ball and bead underwater to keep them cool. Use a small and hot flame to make the second ball.

Hopefully someone who has actually done this can help out more.

Deb

pearlescence
26-01-2019, 09:07 AM
It would be much easier simply to cut the pins very short and glue one pin into each end of the drill hole. Very short pins are available or you could easily make out of scraps

misspond
26-01-2019, 09:29 AM
It would be much easier simply to cut the pins very short and glue one pin into each end of the drill hole. Very short pins are available or you could easily make out of scraps

*Facepalm* now that makes a huge amount of sense! I was thinking "good grief, I'd never want to put myself through the stress of that!" when I was describing the process.

Dennis
26-01-2019, 11:53 AM
I would use metal beads and wire.
Use a one hole bead for one end and solder in the wire. Push through the large ball and the chain. Put on a two hole bead and solder where the wire comes out. Cut off surplus.
The second soldering operation will be quite far enough from the chain not to melt anything if you use easy solder. Dennis

CJ57
26-01-2019, 01:10 PM
Are the parts in between the balls metal or small pearls, it’s difficult to tell although they look very uniform?

Dennis
26-01-2019, 02:44 PM
It's just a wire with 3 balls Caroline, the middle one loose. Dennis.

CJ57
26-01-2019, 04:01 PM
Thanks Dennis, they look like tiny pearls on the iPad

pearlescence
26-01-2019, 08:47 PM
If they are pearls you cannot get any heat anywhere near them.

CJ57
26-01-2019, 09:34 PM
If they are pearls you cannot get any heat anywhere near them.

That’s why I was questioning what they are Wendy

bru89
27-01-2019, 12:47 PM
Thank you so much for your replies! I found another picture where you can see it better:

They're just beads that are attached to a chain with some sort of double sided ball pins. Instead of a normal bead dangle with a ball in one end and the wrapped up wire in the other, it looks like it's a pin with a ball in each side. But how is this possible? :D

misspond
27-01-2019, 01:21 PM
In both pictures the examples look machine made rather than hand made, which is a special kind of magic all it's own. If you were going to do this by hand you'd have to use one of the techniques that have been described I think.

CJ57
27-01-2019, 01:26 PM
So it is a bead and not metal so surely glue is involved? This is also someone else’s design so I’m hoping this is just a project for yourself and not to sell on

Dennis
27-01-2019, 02:35 PM
I'm viewing this on my computer screen and the pictures look as if they're of different necklaces.
Certainly in this case the beads are not metal, but possibly some kind of synthetic.
That means the ball at one end of each pin might be soldered, but the other must be glued on. Dennis.

mizgeorge
27-01-2019, 06:38 PM
I know how this is done (there are actually a couple of ways) and there is no glue involved at any stage.

However, at least one of these images has been copied directly from a popular handmade goods site, and I find it rather poor form to join a forum and blatantly ask members here how to duplicate another maker's design.

If you've been inspired by a design, by all means make your own version - but put your own spin on it, or use it as a starting point to make something completely new - which you'll ultimately find far more satisfying.

CJ57
27-01-2019, 07:39 PM
I know how this is done (there are actually a couple of ways) and there is no glue involved at any stage.

However, at least one of these images has been copied directly from a popular handmade goods site, and I find it rather poor form to join a forum and blatantly ask members here how to duplicate another maker's design.

If you've been inspired by a design, by all means make your own version - but put your own spin on it, or use it as a starting point to make something completely new - which you'll ultimately find far more satisfying.

This issue came up on a fb jewellery group recently which was why I mentioned it. It’s somethin* we have to be careful not to encourage
From the first photo it looked as if it was a piece owned by you. The second is obviously from a selling page and I would say they aren’t the same

bru89
27-01-2019, 09:11 PM
Yes, the second piece is a picture I found on the internet. But I've been seeing these kind of dangles everywhere lately and I want to add them to my own designs because they look much better than the ones where you have to wrap the other end of the ball pin. I won't be copying other people's designs, no worries!!

Thank you again for your help!