PDA

View Full Version : I need an Agent!!

geti-titanium
23-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Calm down Agent 44 and let me explain.

I went on an appointment today to show off new stock to a shop in Nottingham. I don't tend to go on appointments very often - which I should do really. The problem isn't fear of walking into the shop any more, it's the travelling bit.

Nottingham is only an hour and a bit from the Jewellery Quarter, not too bad you would think. Unfortunately I have this nasty affliction that sends me to sleep when I am driving for longer than half an hour.

No matter what I do - bags of sweets, windows open, loud music or, and this is my personal favourite :-" , an ice lolly between the legs - nothing seems to prevent it.

So, hopefully to prevent my early demise, I would like to get an agent. Has anybody used a jewellery agent before?, how do they operate?, any recommendations - all advice thankfully received.

bustagasket
23-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Calm down Agent 44 and let me explain.

I went on an appointment today to show off new stock to a shop in Nottingham. I don't tend to go on appointments very often - which I should do really. The problem isn't fear of walking into the shop any more, it's the travelling bit.

Nottingham is only an hour and a bit from the Jewellery Quarter, not too bad you would think. Unfortunately I have this nasty affliction that sends me to sleep when I am driving for longer than half an hour.

No matter what I do - bags of sweets, windows open, loud music or, and this is my personal favourite :-" , an ice lolly between the legs - nothing seems to prevent it.

So, hopefully to prevent my early demise, I would like to get an agent. Has anybody used a jewellery agent before?, how do they operate?, any recommendations - all advice thankfully received.

lmao I cant help you with the agent bit Alan as, well you know my nooblike state, but i now have this fantastic image of you driving to an important appointment and getting out of the car with an icelolly stuck to your leg - nice first impression :P

I will never be able to look at one in the same way again lmao [[]]

geti-titanium
23-09-2009, 08:14 PM
but i now have this fantastic image of you driving to an important appointment and getting out of the car with an icelolly stuck to your leg

Never fails :Y: I'm just waiting for Jasons response to that now as I think I may have dug a hole for myself :)

bustagasket
23-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Never fails :Y: I'm just waiting for Jasons response to that now as I think I may have dug a hole for myself :)

oh you better believe it hun, he will be going all unnecessary lmao, god i wish i was a fly on the wall to see his reaction when he reads your post lmae:dance::dance:

pauljoels
23-09-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm not sure how agents work in the jewellery business as such, but in my last company we used agents, and in my current company I look for foreign distributors/agents.

All I can say is be careful to ensure you have the right person/company that is not just interested in the money. You need to have people represent you who truely believe in your product, otherwise their lack of enthusiasm may come through, potentially damaging your business.

You also need to be able to let go - I obviously do not know your position, but if this is your baby, then you need to be able to trust that person will do a good job.

Be careful when reading their CV of achievements - don't get swayed by a list of names - and DO get references where possible!

A final tip when looking for these things is to ensure that you are important enough to them so that they take you seriously. e.g. in the world of pharma, my company is small, so we tend to look for smaller distributors, who we are important to, as if our distributor were for instance to deal with someone like Johnson and Johnson we would be worth nothing to them, so the amount of time and effort they would devote to us would be minimal and useless to us.

I hope that makes sense and is slightly useful, even though it is not jewellery specific.

geti-titanium
23-09-2009, 08:22 PM
god i wish i was a fly on the wall to see his reaction

good job you typed 'reaction' there other wise there would be no end to it :dance:

bustagasket
23-09-2009, 08:23 PM
good job you typed 'reaction' there other wise there would be no end to it :dance:

lmao you said it not me lol i am innocent:-" (except for the bit where i have sent him a text to tell him to check out the thread heehee:">)

geti-titanium
23-09-2009, 08:24 PM
I hope that makes sense and is slightly useful, even though it is not jewellery specific.

Hi Paul thanks for that - it all helps.

agent_44
23-09-2009, 08:43 PM
LOL :D I got all exicted then!

Other than my user name I have no knowledge of any kind of agent unfortunately, but I do remember someone's grandad at a wedding once had this thing he clipped on his ear that emitted an alarm if his head tipped forward or in other words if he was nodding off!

Now I don't know if that would just scare you and cause you to drive off the road, or it would actually help train you to stay awake, anyway, I thought I would mention it :)

geti-titanium
23-09-2009, 08:48 PM
but I do remember someone's grandad at a wedding once had this thing he clipped on his ear

Good thinking - take somebodies Grandad with me to clip me round the ear when I nod off - it could work:Y:

pauljoels
23-09-2009, 08:49 PM
How practical is it for you to take trains instead of driving? I know they can be more expensive, and take more time etc, but it depends on your values.

bustagasket
23-09-2009, 08:55 PM
How practical is it for you to take trains instead of driving? I know they can be more expensive, and take more time etc, but it depends on your values.

noooooo dont take away our fun, we like to think of alan trying to keep awake with various gizmos strapped to his erm..........bits! :-"

The Dragon
23-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Not to be a spoil sport - I too have visions - ooh err missus- but do you mind if I ask who you were visiting in Nottingham? - I didn't realise that we had anybody who would apreciate your kind of classy jewellery in the city. :dance:

Emerald
23-09-2009, 09:11 PM
oooh can i go undercover!

pauljoels
23-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Annie, I wondered if it might be Excel opposite St Peters Church in the centre? Something tells me there might be a fit there?

bustagasket
23-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Not to be a spoil sport - I too have visions - ooh err missus-

Hey dont keep those visions to yourself!!! SHARE!!!!:dance::-"

Emerald
23-09-2009, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=pauljoels;13633]

I obviously do not know your position,

QUOTE]

sat up in the car!

geti-titanium
23-09-2009, 09:34 PM
but do you mind if I ask who you were visiting in Nottingham?

Solitaire Goldsmiths and Stuart Thexton - both very nice people.

pauljoels
23-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Can I be cheeky and ask if they were good meetings and whether or not we can expect to see Geti in Notts anytime soon?

bustagasket
23-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Solitaire Goldsmiths and Stuart Thexton - both very nice people.

How did they like your ice lolly? did they get a choice of flavours?:o

geti-titanium
23-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Yes they were both good - Solitaire has been a customer for a good 7 years or so and Stuart loved the range but couldn't decide which ones to go for so is going to study the products on the website a little more. Sounds promising though.

bustagasket
23-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Yes they were both good - Solitaire has been a customer for a good 7 years or so and Stuart loved the range but couldn't decide which ones to go for so is going to study the products on the website a little more. Sounds promising though.

ooo fingers crossed Alan!!!

pauljoels
23-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I've never been into Solitaire although I've walked passed it before. I've popped into Thexton's a couple of times. I love some of their displays, and the colour of some of their items, but not all of it - some is to garish! Good luck!