PDA

View Full Version : Finishing

Lisa Quinn
23-09-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't know what is wrong with me at the moment, I'm finding it impossible to achieve a mirror like finish on any of my pieces, I'll polish or tumble and there always seems to be scratches that I just can't seem to get rid of. One particular pendant that I have been wet'n'drying and polishing for weeks, I've used rubber burrs, radial disks and I think I've got blummin' tennis elbow from all the rubbing and stuff, it is getting so blummin' thin that it won't be worth finishing soon. It nearly went out of the window today, I am soooo fed up with the flipping thing.

bustagasket
23-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Deep breath Lisa, i have felt like that about a couple of pieces already and i have a mark on my fretwork pendent which is bugging me but i dont know how to get rid of it. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you, dont give up on it, i am sure its worth the perseverenace [[]]

MuranoSilver
23-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi Lisa
Tumbling wont really get rid of scratches (it removes less material than burrs and sanding pads) but the shine it imparts will leave them more visible (annoying!)

Can I ask you what metal are you polishing?
nic

Lisa Quinn
23-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Hi Nic,

It's sterling silver, I usually don't have any problems at all going through the grades 400 to 1200, then final finishing using burrs on the pendant drill.
I've recently bought a pendant drill and am using the same burrs that I had on my dremel, maybe that has something to do with it?

Lisa

mizgeorge
23-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I barely use wet and dry now, and am a total convert to micromesh. I run through from 1500 to 12000 by hand, and then just tumble, and I'm really happy with the results. But I have to admit to really liking hand polishing (possibly a form of masochism?).

What burrs are you using out of interest?

Lisa Quinn
23-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi George,

I'm using the brown and green burrs that come in the Cooksons multi packs.

Can I ask what micromesh is? Sounds interesting

Lisa

MuranoSilver
23-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Have you used the burrs for anything else (perhaps they picked up some contamination?)
nic

Lisa Quinn
23-09-2009, 10:31 PM
I have been using them for a while, so it is possible that they have been contaminated, it is perfectly possible that I have got impatient and gone back to the burrs after polishing with rouge without washing the item. I guess that I had better make use of the freepost offer and replace them asap.

Thanks

agent_44
23-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Yes George, can you tell us abou this micromesh stuff, sounds interesting!

mizgeorge
23-09-2009, 11:09 PM
I LOVE micromesh. It's basically wet and dry paper, but on a fabric backing. Comes in lots of grades, and as both cloths and pads. Rinses out under the tap and lasts for blummin ages!

I get mine from a woodworkers supply place on 't bay, but I suspect a certain lovely moderator may have a good source?

It's the same stuff that's used for the really good nail buffing pads as well ;)

Di Sandland
24-09-2009, 01:14 AM
Well, I don't know about the lovely moderator, I suspect she's giving it some zzzz's, but I used to get my micromesh from Axminster (http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Micro-Mesh-Abrasives-804806.htm). I suspect you can get it cheaper on ebay tho.

Solunar Silver Studio
24-09-2009, 06:28 AM
Well, I don't know about the lovely moderator, I suspect she's giving it some zzzz's,

As you should have been too, Di!! (tut, tut [-X...consider yourself told off!!)

Do I take it this micromesh stuff can come as sort of sponge pads and cloths? ...different sites seem to have different formats of it.

And if you use it on pmc...is that before or after firing...or both??!!

MuranoSilver
24-09-2009, 07:36 AM
I LOVE micromesh. It's basically wet and dry paper, but on a fabric backing. Comes in lots of grades, and as both cloths and pads. Rinses out under the tap and lasts for blummin ages!

I get mine from a woodworkers supply place on 't bay, but I suspect a certain lovely moderator may have a good source?

It's the same stuff that's used for the really good nail buffing pads as well ;)

Lol this lovely moderator was catching some zzzz's but she gets hers in lovely huge sheets from silverclay.co.uk :)
You can use it before and after on PMC but keep seperate sheets for pre and post fired clay (cant be bothered to wash them out it's just easier to cut them into smaller sheets)
Nic x

Solunar Silver Studio
24-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Lol this lovely moderator was catching some zzzz's but she gets hers in lovely huge sheets from silverclay.co.uk :)
You can use it before and after on PMC but keep seperate sheets for pre and post fired clay (cant be bothered to wash them out it's just easier to cut them into smaller sheets)
Nic x

Good Lord, Nic!! You SLEEP in MICROMESH!!! Now that's what I call devotion above and beyond the cause!!!
Or is it some beauty regime?? Exfoliation to the extreme!!!

....so - are these sheets thin like fabric - or are they sponge backed...?

(...and do they come in double or king sized!!!:rofl:)

MuranoSilver
24-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Why thank you for noticing - yes my skin is everso soft but it's down to Oil of Ulay (Pah! on their Olay nonsense!) not micromesh :-D
The micromesh is in thin sheets like fabric the ones with the sponge on the back are sponge back sanding pads (also very good)
nicx

Solunar Silver Studio
24-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Brilliant stuff Oil of Ulay...My Mum has used it forever...she is now nearly 90 ( in November) and has a complexion most 60 year olds would die for. I hope a lot of it is genetic though (as I can't bear the smell of perfumed makeup since I was pregnant with my first baby!!) ...I may have to resort to the micromesh treatment yet!!:-D

agent_44
24-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Brilliant stuff Oil of Ulay...My Mum has used it forever...she is now nearly 90 ( in November) and has a complexion most 60 year olds would die for. I hope a lot of it is genetic though (as I can't bear the smell of perfumed makeup since I was pregnant with my first baby!!) ...I may have to resort to the micromesh treatment yet!!:-D

I'm a bit embarrassed to tell you this, but hey, I was a kid! When I was a greasey spotty teenager I had terrible flaky skin on my nose and it used to really upset me. One day I had the bright idea of er, sanding my nose, using a nail file! It worked a treat, except it came back worse afetr a day or two so I think I must have spent the best part of a couple of years sanding my bloody nose every morning!

Oh and Nic, back on subject, is this micromesh also known as polishing paper? I got a sample pack of this from Kernowcraft a while back and it sounds similar.

mizgeorge
24-09-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure Nic's micromesh is the same as mine.

I can get it in both cloth and pads, and it's made by a co called micro finishing products:

here are some pads: WOODTURNING- MICRO MESH 9 PAD VARIETY PACK (LARGE) on eBay (end time 16-Oct-09 21:31:46 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WOODTURNING-MICRO-MESH-9-PAD-VARIETY-PACK-LARGE_W0QQitemZ350253626691QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C rafts_Other_Crafts_EH?hash=item518cbe3543&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1010wt_1165)

and here are some sheets: MICROMESH / MICRO MESH POLISHING CLOTHS 6" x 4" on eBay (end time 25-Sep-09 17:13:06 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MICROMESH-MICRO-MESH-POLISHING-CLOTHS-6-x-4_W0QQitemZ130332306954QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau ltDomain_3?hash=item1e58692e0a&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14#ht_544wt_1165)

The first seller also has the buffing sticks, which are dead handy ;)

Solunar Silver Studio
24-09-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm a bit embarrassed to tell you this, but hey, I was a kid! When I was a greasey spotty teenager I had terrible flaky skin on my nose and it used to really upset me. One day I had the bright idea of er, sanding my nose, using a nail file! It worked a treat, except it came back worse afetr a day or two so I think I must have spent the best part of a couple of years sanding my bloody nose every morning!

Oh and Nic, back on subject, is this micromesh also known as polishing paper? I got a sample pack of this from Kernowcraft a while back and it sounds similar.

Don't be embarassed...you should have gone into cosmetic surgery!!! Perhaps not with the nail file though!!;) Microdermabrasion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microdermabrasion)

Thanks for the extra info George!

lorraineflee
24-09-2009, 06:01 PM
But I have to admit to really liking hand polishing (possibly a form of masochism?).

I thought I might be the only person who liked polishing by hand - I find it really satisfying seeing the shine getting better and better - am I sad??!!
Lorraine

MuranoSilver
24-09-2009, 06:02 PM

Yep mine are polishing papers They're near the end of this page here (http://silverclay.co.uk/shto.htm#oxid) :)
Nicx

Di Sandland
24-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I thought I might be the only person who liked polishing by hand - I find it really satisfying seeing the shine getting better and better - am I sad??!!
Lorraine

No - I love polishing too. Its quite therapeutic I think.

Emerald
24-09-2009, 08:17 PM
No - I love polishing too. Its quite therapeutic I think.

Give us your Address Di or Lorraine not fussy, stuff on its way to polish - i hate polishing its like ironing you think you have finished and then you find somethink else#-o

Di Sandland
24-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Don't do ironing; positively detest ironing! Luckily, the OH enjoys it :Y:

Boo
24-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I'd much rather polish than iron. Unfortunately, it's the latter I have to do tonight. I do love getting my fingers dirty and bringing up a shine.

bustagasket
24-09-2009, 09:26 PM
dont iron unless i really have too cos it kills my back, nd i have a tabletop press now to make it a little kinder.

havent hand polishe much really so i cant really comment on it

pauljoels
24-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Hate ironing (I think it's the biggest waste of time), but find polishing and finishing great fun though - but then I spent 3 weeks sanding an entire racecar bodywork ready for production...after that anything jewellery wise seems to pail into insignificance.

I'm not sure if these (http://www.hswalsh.com/items.aspx?t=152) (sorry cookson's!) are similar, but an old colleague of mine used them to polish watch and clock components to an absolute mirror finish. I remember being stunned when I saw the finish - perfect and all by hand.

I think they can be bought cheaper elsewhere though, just not sure where exactly.

Lisa Quinn
25-09-2009, 08:57 PM
I luuuurve micromesh, it's better than mint chocolate aero.

Following some fab advice I placed an order for the truly spiritual micromesh and my problem pendant is no longer a problem !!!!

Thanks for the brilliant advice, I was getting really vexed ( vexed is actually the polite version) and my sanity has now been restored........allegedly !

Thanks

Lisa xx:dance:

lesley
01-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Ooooo, tried micromesh for the first time and am definitely a convert!
I made some simple earrings out of square wire the other day and parts of it were quite scuffed. Micromesh brought it up a treat.
My earrings are now smooth as silk and shiny as..........a shiny thing. :)

mizgeorge
01-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Good innit!

Glad to have been some help :)

Emerald
01-10-2009, 06:51 PM
innit!

George......

lesley
01-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Good innit!

Glad to have been some help :)

Yeah, wickid sista. Fanks. :)

Emerald
01-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Yeah, wickid sista. Fanks. :)
pmsl..........if i had been drinkng it would have come up me nose x

lilacmonkey
06-11-2009, 07:24 PM
i used to use micromesh for removing srcatches on aircraft windows,when i worked for bae at filton.wonderful stuff comes with a small bottle of cleaning fluid tohelp stop the mesh from clogging.must dig out the stuff i left with i think.

now where did i put it..............