PDA

View Full Version : Gold leaf for Keum Boo

theresa
09-01-2019, 03:54 PM
Is it possible to roll down gold sheet and flatten sufficiently to use for Keum Boo? Trying to find the cheapest way to get the effect.

ps_bond
09-01-2019, 04:05 PM
Yes; at the thinner levels you'll probably need to roll it between 2 sheets of paper to get the thickness needed.

One para here about it - https://www.ganoksin.com/article/keum-boo-technique/
Be aware that if you roll it with metal then if it's clean you may end up with some bonding going on.

CJ57
09-01-2019, 06:21 PM
Is it possible to roll down gold sheet and flatten sufficiently to use for Keum Boo? Trying to find the cheapest way to get the effect.

I was going to say why go to the bother and then checked today’s price. It’s probably gone up by about £25 since I last ordered.£90 before my guild discount. I had a brilliant old video of a master craftsman whose job it was to make gold leaf by hand just by hammering. It was an amazing thing

ps_bond
09-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Was that one of the Pathé ones, Caroline? That was impressive.

CJ57
09-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Was that one of the Pathé ones, Caroline? That was impressive.
I think so Peter. I thought I’d saved it on fb as I’m sure I shared it to my page. It was a real art but then I’m always impressed by these craftsmen

mizgeorge
09-01-2019, 11:56 PM
This one perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c3GQTSkXNI

This is one of my favourite things from my stash - not least for the old phone number (sorry, I can't seem to rotate to the right orientation)

CJ57
10-01-2019, 12:02 AM
That’s the one George, who could forget the commentator

china
10-01-2019, 07:16 AM
Little bit of topic, may have mentioned this before, my girlfriend visited Korea a couple of years ago, the "non tourist" type visit and her friend took her to a Keum Boo "Master" out of the city he was in his nineties his heating element was a flat well used stone that he placed in the fire until ready, then placed on his stone bench and proceeded to work on it as we would with a electric hot plate

CJ57
10-01-2019, 10:56 AM
Little bit of topic, may have mentioned this before, my girlfriend visited Korea a couple of years ago, the "non tourist" type visit and her friend took her to a Keum Boo "Master" out of the city he was in his nineties his heating element was a flat well used stone that he placed in the fire until ready, then placed on his stone bench and proceeded to work on it as we would with a electric hot plate

That would be amazing to see having looked at some outstanding work. I’m ashamed to say I do keum boo when it’s so random. My customers like it but it’s only because I started out trying to be very precise and a bit would blow away in the breeze or something would come off and I just had to go with the flow. A hot brick might help!

Ankolosova
10-01-2019, 12:50 PM
, then placed on his stone bench and proceeded to work on it as we would with a electric hot plate

that's what I was always thinking that not necessary you would need hot plate but well heated stone or smth.... I guess has to keep temperature well .... anyhow amazing that even they managed to do those sheets by hammering them.....

theresa
10-01-2019, 02:44 PM
I last bought a sheet in Jan 2014 and the price to me now is the same as then. Strangely, the label is marked 1.00g but the one on offer now states weight of .4g.....
Might just melt down some blobs and try it out first.
Thanks guys:~:

CJ57
10-01-2019, 02:48 PM
If you have 24ct then it’s worth a try I suppose. I bought my last more recently and I seem to remember it was under £60