PDA

View Full Version : sterling silver cufflinks

fiona davies
23-09-2009, 10:49 AM
hi,
does anyone know of a product that you apply to a sterling silver cufflink to remove 'burns' after the soldering process? I use a natural pickle mix but just wondered if there was anything else?

thanks

Fiona

Fi Wilson
23-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi,

I've started using something called 'flux argotect' which actually protects the sterling silver against fire stain. You have to mix the powder with meths (keep the mixture in a non-porous jar with a snug fitting lid) to create a creamy like consistency. The meths and the powder will separate so don't worry about it. Just give your piece a good swirl in the mixture while you hold it with your tweezers. Take it out of the mixture and still holding your piece in the tweezers briefly set fire to it!!! Yes, it sounds odd but there's some sort of chemical reaction that takes place (you'll see a green flame). You'll then see a pale white coating on your piece. Solder in the same way. I still have to pickle but I have significantly less elbow work to do afterwards.

I first saw it on a YouTube video by an American woman who was soldering some earposts. I'm sure you'll be able to find it if you put in a search like 'solder earring posts'.

Hope this helps.

Fi

mizgeorge
23-09-2009, 08:06 PM
For straightforward pieces (and if I'm using pallions) I use firescoff, which means the piece doesn't need pickling at all after soldering, just a wash off with warm water. You have to warm the pieces before applying, but it's pretty foolproof. You do this before soldering and use no other flux. If using paste solder, you apply the paste before the firescoff, which I find can be a bit fiddly as all surfaces need to be coated and I usually end up separating everything trying to do so!

Ominicci
25-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Looks like a tiny bottle for all that money George (from W's?). Does it last a long time or is it just GOOD lol?