PDA

View Full Version : Wire question - enamel/sterling/plated

Petal
23-09-2009, 09:16 AM
I want to make some wire wrapped necklaces/bracelets with sterling and also some coloured wire I bought from the 'W' supplier. I've already got some .4 & .6 sterling and am about to do another order for some .8 and 1mm wire (all half hard). My questions are:-

Do you use coloured wire in your designs, if so which type? I've heard of enamel coated wire? If so, would you then use plated findings? I don't mix my plated designs with sterling findings.
I've got .8mm and 1mm on my list, would you add anything else?
I like the look of copper, if you used copper, would you then have sterling findings, plated or make copper ones yourself (and then treat the copper to stop it tarnishing).
Would you use brass?

Thnks in advance guys. BTW, the only way I can anneal at the moment is by using the chamois leather method, as I don't have a kiln or a torch.

Jules x

agent_44
23-09-2009, 09:25 AM
I think I would be inclined to use sterling findings with brass, copper or the enamel coated wire, as long as it suited or was part of the design. Though I would also use solid copper or brass as well. It might be worth giving the option of changign the earring findings, as a customer may have a problem wearing the other metals.

I couldn't say about the sizes you were planning on buying, it depends what you want to do, but 0.8mm and 1.0mm seem to be more commonly used sizes of wire so probably a good starting point.

I have to say I am definitelynot convinced by this chamois "annealing method". When annealing silver you have to allow the metal to glow cherry red for it to be properly annealed, which certainly won't happen with this method. You may well find with wire work annealing isn;t necessary though, it's how I started out, and I didn't use a torch for a few years untill I started looking at soldering and other silversmithing techniques.

Boo
23-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm with you on the annealing with a cloth - it helps to straighten etc., but you need a lot of heat to actually soften silver - more than you could generate with your fingers. If you're wire wrapping, would 1mm soft perhaps not be better?

I personally don't really like silver findings with copper pieces - unless the piece is mixed metals already. I tend to make my own and try and get them to match the rest of the piece. I like combining silver and copper design-wise, but different coloured findings just looks like not having your handbag matching your shoes to me. Same with brass. But I have a bit of a thing about wanting to make everything on the piece that I can myself and call it 'entirely hand crafted'.

I do offer the option of changing copper earwires - as not everyone could get on with them and I have occasionally changed to silver or gold filled (but not as often as I might have expected to) - but then I tend to oxidise silver rather than have them shiny next to copper - oxidised silver next to antiqued copper doesn't look vastly different - especially if I re-oxidise the copper and taper the colours to match. Most of my copper gets antiqued anyway.

I don't seal copper, I give a care leaflet on how to care for copper - people can either let it naturally darken, or polish it if they prefer the look.

Petal
23-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I think I would be inclined to use sterling findings with brass, copper or the enamel coated wire, as long as it suited or was part of the design. Though I would also use solid copper or brass as well. It might be worth giving the option of changign the earring findings, as a customer may have a problem wearing the other metals.

I couldn't say about the sizes you were planning on buying, it depends what you want to do, but 0.8mm and 1.0mm seem to be more commonly used sizes of wire so probably a good starting point.

I have to say I am definitelynot convinced by this chamois "annealing method". When annealing silver you have to allow the metal to glow cherry red for it to be properly annealed, which certainly won't happen with this method. You may well find with wire work annealing isn;t necessary though, it's how I started out, and I didn't use a torch for a few years untill I started looking at soldering and other silversmithing techniques.

Thanks Lucinda for your feedback. Yes, I think the chamois leather annealing method is really a last resort thing for me, as I don't have the other equipment yet and would want to move onto using them when I've gained a bit more confidence.

I like the colours of the enamelled wire and the look it could produce, but am not sure whether you professional guys would regard using it in a design as an item of quality or is it something that you look at and say [-X not THAT stuff - yuk!?

Honest feedback please!!!

Love
Jules x

Boo
23-09-2009, 10:06 AM
I think you could anneal in the oven or over your gas flame, I'm sure I've seen instructions on that - but I've not needed it myself as I just torch it.

I only really anneal where I'm doing a design that is hammered, then the flat bit needs shaping, so I've hardened it, but then need to re-work it so soften in again. I've never really needed to anneal wire for any wrapping work - for many things, using soft wire to start with is much easier - it just depends on your particular design.

Di Sandland
23-09-2009, 10:08 AM
The problem with enamel wires, Jules, is that they can look very tatty very quickly! The cut ends can flake and the enamelling can crack as you twist and turn it. I have a cupboard full of it because it looks so nice on the reel but whenever I've thought about using it, I've thought 'nah, looks tacky.'

Jules, please remember this is my personal opinion and not based on anything concrete at all.

agent_44
23-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Personally I wouldn't, but I am quite fussy about alternative materials in jewellery. I think if the bulk of a piece was silver, I could cope with some of the enamelled wire, as a coluored accent for example, but please remember that's just my opinion. It would be good to see what others think too!

Petal
23-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Personally I wouldn't, but I am quite fussy about alternative materials in jewellery. I think if the bulk of a piece was silver, I could cope with some of the enamelled wire, as a coluored accent for example, but please remember that's just my opinion. It would be good to see what others think too!

Sorry I haven't been around for a bit, I had to finish a piece of jewellery for someone who'll be here any minute.

Thanks Di, Boo and Lucinda for your very useful replies. Much appreciated. It looks as though enamelled wire looks nice on the reel, but doesn't work that well or look professional in practice. It was an impulse buy (how many of those have we had! I might just use them for practice in diff colours, or maybe make up some chrismassey things (I've got two red wine coloured coils), but as you say ...

It would be good to see what others think of coloured enamelled wire???

Jules x

Solunar Silver Studio
23-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Isn't the enamelled wire copper cored? I think, if it is, that I would be inclined to use it with copper wire and findings so if there was a chipping/flaking issue it would be less noticeable. It would also have a subtler, more mellow look to it...but I'm not so sure how it would look with 'antiqued' copper...I think it would be better with copper coloured copper!!

The only time I remember using enamelled wire in the past was...wait for it....making beaded Christmas decorations with a group from MENCAP!!!! In that context it did go rather well with the gold and silver plated plastic beads we were using!! And everyone was really happy with the glitzy look of what they made...but I'm not so sure I would put it with sterling.

Kalorlo
23-09-2009, 12:24 PM
For copper and brass I would make my own findings. (This is something I'm meaning to practice!). I think you've mostly got the sizes covered - I quite like 1.2mm as well. I would and do use brass - I like it better than gold.

Coloured wire - I've only actually used this for trees, where it's fine if you scratch it a bit because you want a gnarly look. It might be ok if you were very careful and very mindful of the ends - I definitely wouldn't pair it with sterling though.

It'd be good for Christmas decorations.

mizgeorge
23-09-2009, 12:55 PM
I never use coloured wire on its own. I occasionally use anodised wire for jump rings, but only as an accent, and the colours tend to be quite subtle (and to match with silver extremely well). Even then, I tend only to use them for specific commissions. For most things, I stick to metals which are coloured naturally - with the exception of occasionally using gold fill (again, usually for commissions). I love the look of anodised aluminium for large pieces, but I'd want to do it myself, and I haven't the time to learn, or the capital to add more stuff to my equipment wishlist!

As for wire tempers, I would stick to dead soft. It's pretty easy to work harden the gauges you're looking at, but if you haven't got a torch or kiln (or hot oven) then you can't anneal it. In fact, I would say the chamois trick would harden wire rather than softening it. Bear in mind that heat hardening temperatures are far lower than annealing, and as has already been pointed out, you need to keep the metal at a cherry red glow for annealing, which is just not going to happen without a heat source.

For findings, I try to always use findings to match the bulk of the piece itself. I make most of my own, and always make my own for copper or brass (they're almost impossible to buy). I don't generally seal copper unless it's requested, in which case I use Renaissance wax. I prefer the look of naturally oxidised copper, but do explain to customers how to restore the 'bright penny' look if they want it.

btw, if you're buying sterling wire, wires are a lot more expensive than getting it straight from Cookson's ;) - especially with a freepost on!

lesley
23-09-2009, 03:39 PM
I bought some coloured enamel wire on a whim but I've only used it for "messing about".
It's too thin for anything structural so I think I'd only use it if I was asked.
Personally, I need something that marks less easily. :)
It does look so darn pretty though.

Petal
23-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all the very useful comments, guys. =D> I've ordered from Cookies (thanks G!) some more .6, some .8 and some 1mm soft wire. That way I've got everything covered in my junior status as a wrapper, or is that rapper:-D plus I can do headpins and possibly earwires.

:ta:

unfortunately, instead of doing more jewellery stuff which I'd love to do, I've got to do some gardening :(| bloody chores. I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to source the fixings for a curtain rail that had come down and didn't manage that either - it really p's me off when I want to do 'my' stuff and ending up doing other stuff! moan moan - ok whinge over.

back later

Love, Jules x

Jayne
23-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi Jules,

I think that coloured enamel wires could look fab if you embrace the fact that they are modern and design something along comtemporary lines to compliment that.
Have a look at Lisa Van Herik, Woven Wire Studio online (not allowed to send you the url cos I am a newbie lol)

Having said that, a few years ago I was making a necklace out of antique black glass beads in a mad rush for a wedding (v trad looking) and ran out of sterling wire, no time to order online, had to run to a hobby shop to buy some plated but they had run out and I came out with enamel coated wire in olive green and felt pretty desperate about it :(
After messing around with it for an hour or so I came up with something that I was really pleased with. I actually like it better than if I'd made it with sterling as it produced a more subtle effect, and I still wear it now if I'm out somewhere posh :Y:

I'd have a surf around for inspiration & try out something wacky.....u never know what you'll create!

J x
ps. I've annealled wire (carefully) over my gas hob before now when I can't be bothered to get all my stuff out.

Emerald
23-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Hi Jules

Hope you dont mind my two pennys worth, I think as the others have said wire wrapping with enamel wires is a no no cos the pliers wiil mark the enamel but it can look good just use it as an accent instead of a stone or bead maybe, also the more you use silver wire the harder it becomes so even if you buy soft it will start to go hard as you wrap, maybe use the 0.8 to begin with and wrap onto the 0.1 i personally find the 0.4 to thin. :)

Petal
23-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks Jo and Jayne for the further info. Thanks Jayne for the link, which I've posted here for others to view. Fab designs.
!

Lisa Van Herik, Woven Wire Studio (http://www.wovenwirestudio.com/index.html)

So I can anneal stuff in my electric oven then??? How on earth do I do that??

Jules x

Jayne
23-09-2009, 07:17 PM
So I can anneal stuff in my electric oven then??? How on earth do I do that??

Errrrrr.......not sure about a leccy oven......

J x