PDA

View Full Version : Newbie on jewellery making

Blyte
17-11-2018, 11:19 PM
Hello
I'm Filipe I'm from Portugal and living in Northern Ireland for the last 20+ years.
I'm new to jewellery making even though I have been interested in precious metals since I can remember .
My journey started last year, when I developed a back injury which forced me to change my job and made me consider my choices, I do enjoy working with metals, so, I got myself a few tools, cut my first piece of copper and voila i'm hooked.

Have been reading books, watch YouTube's and converted part of a spare room into a jewellery making corner.
I don't consider myself as a creative person and don't pretend to be. My qualifications lies in engineering (fitter/welder fabricator).

I do enjoy the challenges and found the most difficult thing to do is to slow down and create new habits, at the present I'm using mainly copper so developing the techniques won't be to costly.
I do have however to sell my first item, here are some pieces i've made they are far from perfect, but nonetheless.
Thank you!

J Allison
18-11-2018, 09:38 AM
Welcome to the Forum , some lovely pieces there

china
18-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Welcome Blyte don't sell yourself short from the pics you clearly are a creative person

CJ57
18-11-2018, 02:24 PM
Hi Filipe welcome to the forum
You have obviously mastered piercing in your first piece and as Bob says you are selling yourself short. They look almost medieval and I look forward to seeing more. Where are you hoping to sell?
The one thing I’d be wary of is copper wires especially oxidised, not skin friendly. I really like the wire wrapping of the middle earrings

Blyte
18-11-2018, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys!
The pieces are just ideas from this book (jewellery making and design by Augustus F Rose ) found it very good, and some hints from the wife.

Cj, so far has just being gifts to family and friends but hope to start selling online and do some craft markets, the wires was a quick way to get started, i will change them to silver from known on

Thanks

JewelleryByMandy
23-11-2018, 11:20 PM
Hello
I'm Filipe I'm from Portugal and living in Northern Ireland for the last 20+ years.
I'm new to jewellery making even though I have been interested in precious metals since I can remember .
My journey started last year, when I developed a back injury which forced me to change my job and made me consider my choices, I do enjoy working with metals, so, I got myself a few tools, cut my first piece of copper and voila i'm hooked.

Have been reading books, watch YouTube's and converted part of a spare room into a jewellery making corner.
I don't consider myself as a creative person and don't pretend to be. My qualifications lies in engineering (fitter/welder fabricator).

I do enjoy the challenges and found the most difficult thing to do is to slow down and create new habits, at the present I'm using mainly copper so developing the techniques won't be to costly.
I do have however to sell my first item, here are some pieces i've made they are far from perfect, but nonetheless.
Thank you!

Oooo love the brooch pin especially. Think you might be putting yourself down. They’re lovely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk