PDA

View Full Version : Folded studs

Sheen
13-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Made these a couple of days ago. marked my metal with a sharpie then made each fold in the .51mm (24gauge)copper with pliers and flattened fully with a nylon hammer. With the silver ones .55mm the silver was just that bit stiffer and i had trouble with the folds, you can see on the back they are slanting somewhat. Going to have another go; was thinking either to go to the next gauge of silver down (.4mm) or switching to fine silver. All comments welcome.

Dennis
13-11-2018, 02:39 PM
Yes Sheena, thinner sterling will be less demanding and won't look any different from the front.
Fine silver is less easy to handle, because it becomes very flimsy when annealed but hardens quickly when deformed. In that way it behaves rather like copper.
Unfortunately only more experiments will tell you how to get the best result. Dennis.

CJ57
13-11-2018, 05:38 PM
If I’m folding silver now I use fine silver which is much easier. I have found though by the time I get to the last fold I’m still out:/

Sheen
14-11-2018, 07:24 AM
Hi Caroline and Dennis, reading your comments i think i might prefer the fine silver option as i get on reasonably well with copper but i'm going to try both options to see exactly how they handle as it would be a good learning experiance. I've been wearing the first pair i made, they look pretty good. Nice and chunky:dance:

JewelleryByMandy
14-11-2018, 10:07 PM
Made these a couple of days ago. marked my metal with a sharpie then made each fold in the .51mm (24gauge)copper with pliers and flattened fully with a nylon hammer. With the silver ones .55mm the silver was just that bit stiffer and i had trouble with the folds, you can see on the back they are slanting somewhat. Going to have another go; was thinking either to go to the next gauge of silver down (.4mm) or switching to fine silver. All comments welcome.

Quirky design. Like them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheen
15-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Quirky design. Like them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Mandy:dance: good to know, i like them but doesn't always mean anyone else does, ha, ha.

Ankolosova
15-11-2018, 02:25 PM
they are lovely .... makes me feel to try same!!!! nicely done... love that you kept layers almost same!!!!