PDA

View Full Version : help me find the light!

joella
07-11-2018, 12:18 PM
I feel like I'm living in the dark ages and need help to find enlightenment. I want to do some etching on silver (ferric nitrate, and pnp as resist). I want to use my own designs, so if I draw something freehand, can I scan that into the computer and then play around with it on the computer to tweak it, repeat it, mirror image it, sharpen it up etc? also can I scan or import an image such as a photo or bit of pattern from somewhere and do the same with that? Would I need an app for that? (whatever that is)! I have an all in one computer and also an ipad, but I've no idea what I'm looking for, I don't even know what to call what I'm looking for. Also, how easy or difficult would it be to learn how to use such a thing? would I need a course, or would it be intuitive, and what sort of cost could I expect to have to pay for such a thing. Well, I think that's about it now, so I'll put away my quill and ink, and go and find my ear trumpet so I can hear any replies. (No, i'm not 95, but just somehow got left behind in about 1986).

china
07-11-2018, 01:03 PM
The answer is yes you can you need a graphics program I use Corel draw although it is fairly expensive I'm sure other members will know of some more budget friendly alternatives.

Dennis
07-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Hi Sue,
You can use any image providing it is black and white (no grey tones)
The printing must be done with a laser printer (one that uses toner NOT inkjet) If you don't have one, your local print shop can do it for you, using your art work and PnP supplied by you.

Below are some scans of the instructions. Hopefully you can read them if printed on A4. Dennis.

handmadeblanks
07-11-2018, 01:33 PM
I feel like I'm living in the dark ages and need help to find enlightenment. I want to do some etching on silver (ferric nitrate, and pnp as resist). I want to use my own designs, so if I draw something freehand, can I scan that into the computer and then play around with it on the computer to tweak it, repeat it, mirror image it, sharpen it up etc? also can I scan or import an image such as a photo or bit of pattern from somewhere and do the same with that? Would I need an app for that? (whatever that is)! I have an all in one computer and also an ipad, but I've no idea what I'm looking for, I don't even know what to call what I'm looking for. Also, how easy or difficult would it be to learn how to use such a thing? would I need a course, or would it be intuitive, and what sort of cost could I expect to have to pay for such a thing. Well, I think that's about it now, so I'll put away my quill and ink, and go and find my ear trumpet so I can hear any replies. (No, i'm not 95, but just somehow got left behind in about 1986).

If your computer is running Windows, there is a FREE graphic program called 'Paint'. You will find it in the Accessories folder. There are tools in there such as a pencil, crayons, brushes that allow you to draw freehand designs.

Here is a simple tutorial: https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Microsoft-Paint-in-Windows

Dennis
07-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Re my jpeg thumbnails. It looks as if I haven't found a satisfactory way of posting these as even reduced in size they are being rejected.
If they aren't clear enough, I can send them by email if you wish, just PM me. Dennis.

misspond
07-11-2018, 06:35 PM
You can also use a web based program like Pixlr.com to play around with images - change their size, flip them, change them to black and white etc. Like anything it's a learning curve but I find Pixlr really easy to use, and there's lots of YouTube tutorials which are invaluable to show you which steps to take.

joella
08-11-2018, 09:19 PM
Thank you all so much for your advice. I certainly feel you have pointed me in the right direction and shed some light on the subject. Thanks Dennis for going to the trouble to post those instructions, despite the difficulties. I’m going to show off now.....I’ve just got new specs, and I can read them - bliss (hadn’t realised how much I wasn’t seeing till I got new ones - haha). I’m going to take a look at the things suggested and see what I think will suit me best. Thanks again all, for putting me on the right track.