PDA

View Full Version : Marquise stone settings

Lea K
06-11-2018, 11:01 PM
Hi everyone

I have recently bought a mixed lot of tanzanites which included several marquise cut stones in different sizes. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any settings for them anywhere. I have searched several jewellery material suppliers and so far no luck. I'm not confident in making a perfect setting from scratch myself. Can anyone direct me to a company that sells marquise settings? Any advice would be much appreciated

Lea

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Wallace
07-11-2018, 01:55 AM
There are a couple of companies, but you will have to register of course.

Marquise-EM (https://www.eurofindings.com/category/collets/stone-shape/marquise-cut/)

Marquise-K (https://www.kernowcraft.com/products/jewellery-settings/loose-settings-mounts/item/snaptite-settings-for-faceted-stones-sterling-silver-s86). Snaptite

You can take your chance on Etsy, it kicked up a few.

Lea K
07-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Thank you Wallace, I didn't think of Etsy! And I will check those pages out! Much appreciated
Lea

Dennis
07-11-2018, 10:21 PM
Lea, you might also consider making your own rub over settings for marquise. They are not difficult, particularly if you use 0.4mm fine silver.

Make a piece of curved strip, marked out with dividers, using a radius of about 9cm and the second radius less, to match the depth of the stone. Use a piece just over double the length of the marquise. Score the centre and bend it around the stone while it is upside down.

Adjust the ends and solder to make a boat shape. A few experiments with copper will soon show you how. The stone will sit in this boat shape, ready to set. Dennis.

Lea K
07-11-2018, 10:31 PM
Lea, you might also consider making your own rub over settings for marquise. They are not difficult, particularly if you use 0.4mm fine silver.

Make a piece of curved strip, marked out with dividers, using a radius of about 9cm and the second radius less, to match the depth of the stone. Use a piece just over double the length of the marquise. Score the centre and bend it around the stone while it is upside down.

Adjust the ends and solder to make a boat shape. A few experiments with copper will soon show you how. The stone will sit in this boat shape, ready to set. Dennis.Thank you for your help and for going into detail about the process! I will have a practice soon and hopefully it will work out!
Lea