PDA

View Full Version : 375(9ct) Gold: Varying tones?

handmadeblanks
16-10-2018, 12:17 PM
I am planning on working with 375(9ct) gold very soon. There are varying tones from red gold up to yellow gold depending on the ratio of silver to copper. I plan to use what appears to be an industry standard yellow (37.5% gold, 42.5% silver, 20.0% copper). My concern is that anyone purchasing a pendant I made might have a 375 yellow gold chain with a different ratio of silver & copper.

Is the difference between the varying yellow gold tones obvious?
Has anyone here selling jewellery ever worked with 375 yellow gold and had a customer complain about the tone?

Thanks in advance.

Dennis
16-10-2018, 04:27 PM
The difference will be subtle, but not unpleasant.
I would suggest that if you care enough, you start with some favourite chain and then compare small samples of thin sheet, for reference, from different suppliers. Dennis

CJ57
16-10-2018, 08:12 PM
There will always be one customer but luckily they’re the exception. A woman wouldn’t buy a pair of oxidised silver pod earrings because one or 2 of the 12 sides weren’t a uniform shade. She liked that they were from nature but wouldn’t accept any variation

handmadeblanks
06-11-2018, 10:35 PM
I've read in more than one place that jewellery manufacturers keep their alloy mix "a closely guarded secret". Who are they kidding? The LAO has a laboratory service which offers "complete compositional analysis of metal alloys: for gold, silver, platinum, palladium and other elements, using X-ray fluorescence spectrometry (XRF)."