PDA

View Full Version : Personalised Engraving

AD4M
07-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Hi,

I'd like to ask on everyone's opinion of personalised engraving on pre owned jewellery.

I've found some lovely items of pre owned jewellery however they are personalised.

Would be great to give older/unused items new life but the personalisation has no meaning to me and feels bit odd wearing jewellery with other people's names engraved on it.

On the other side, removing the engraving also doesn't seem right.

Is it a case of steering clear of these items? Leave the engraving and enjoy the piece or be it with someone else's name? Or am I being over sensitive and just have the engraving removed?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

josef1
07-10-2018, 04:31 PM
I suppose its just like having a tattoo covered up if you do a good job of it it will enhance the piece ?

handmadeblanks
07-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Change your name so that it matches the jewellery?

AD4M
07-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Thanks for your non helpful response

AD4M
07-10-2018, 05:08 PM
I suppose its just like having a tattoo covered up if you do a good job of it it will enhance the piece ?

Good shout ��

CJ57
07-10-2018, 05:19 PM
Only you can probably answer your question.
If you are buying because you liked it and intend to wear it then I’m not sure there’s a problem.
If you are buying to sell on then that is a problem as silver with monograms is difficult to sell on unless you do have the same initials and it’ll be up to the individual whether they mind wearing something with someone else’s hidden inscription
It’s not really the area of expertise for the designer makers here who are making from scratch and not trading on others work

enigma
07-10-2018, 10:50 PM
Change your name so that it matches the jewellery?

Made me laugh anyway! :rofl:

josef1
08-10-2018, 09:56 AM
You seem very negative AD4M or am I missing something ? The forum is a community just be nice.

china
08-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Don't think you will get too many positive responses with with that attitude AD4M

AD4M
08-10-2018, 10:16 AM
You seem very negative AD4M or am I missing something ? The forum is a community just be nice.

I was looking for help and advice not sarcastic responses. Helpfulness creates contacts and generates business. How is that negative?

CJ57
08-10-2018, 10:21 AM
You asked for thoughts and suggestions and you don’t seem to like anything people have taken the time to say. I was not in any way sarcastic. We are all makers not traders of second hand jewellery and there is no need to be rude

AD4M
08-10-2018, 10:31 AM
You asked for thoughts and suggestions and you don’t seem to like anything people have taken the time to say. I was not in any way sarcastic. We are all makers not traders of second hand jewellery and there is no need to be rude

I seriously think you need to read the thread again! I was not said that your response was sarcastic. Yours has been the most helpful. Saying to change my name is not helpful nor funny. I was referring to this post and the subsequent laughing at it, not helpful in any way.

AD4M
08-10-2018, 10:56 AM
I seriously think you need to read the thread again! I was not said that your response was sarcastic. Yours has been the most helpful. Saying to change my name is not helpful nor funny. I was referring to this post and the subsequent laughing at it, not helpful in any way.

As a side note, I'm not a jewellery trader. I was looking for advice on the reuse/upcycle side of secondhand personalised jewellery. Apologises if I've used the incorrect chat section.

CJ57
08-10-2018, 10:57 AM

I have read the thread and if my response was the most helpful then you chose not to say thanks for that Caroline but to make personal comments about others business techniques. I’m sure Sarah can fight her own battles but this has become a lot of nonsense about something that is only a matter of opinions and not expertise on our part.

josef1
08-10-2018, 11:37 AM
The answer I would give to your question is its worth scrap value unless you can prove providence to something special or get someone to buy it which experience says they are not going to as jewellery tends to be a personal thing. Unless you can engrave the economical thing to do is throw it in the melting pot and make something new. Hope this helps and please lighten up a bit, your not doing yourself any favours.

ps_bond
08-10-2018, 02:55 PM
I was looking for help and advice not sarcastic responses. Helpfulness creates contacts and generates business. How is that negative?

One person's sarcasm is another's banter. The facetious comment made did not warrant your response.

Can I remind people of the "report post" button again, please?

AD4M
08-10-2018, 02:56 PM
The answer I would give to your question is its worth scrap value unless you can prove providence to something special or get someone to buy it which experience says they are not going to as jewellery tends to be a personal thing. Unless you can engrave the economical thing to do is throw it in the melting pot and make something new. Hope this helps and please lighten up a bit, your not doing yourself any favours.

That's fair, it's probably an avoid. My initial feeling was similar, be easier to melt and start again rather than working with the existing piece.

1963barnes
27-10-2018, 12:13 AM
I buy and sell jewellery,sometimes I fill and remove engraving and sometimes I leave it,one example was a black enamelled gold cross with "Rosa 1867" it had a compartment for hair in the back ,in that case I preferred to leave it as it had historical value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NickD
27-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Thanks for your non helpful response

Wassup with that?
Reminds me of me (only boy) and my 3, yes 3 sisters
This isn't abnormal is it?