PDA

View Full Version : Maille bracelet

Kalorlo
22-09-2009, 08:15 PM
After my bits of sample chain, I made this on Sunday as a prototype:

288 289

Helm chain in bright aluminium with seed beads. I rather like it because it let me add some colour without having to use coloured rings.

I made the toggle from a tutorial on mailleartisans.org - I think next time I should make the bar a bit longer. It was originally, but I couldn't get it through to put it on, so shortened it a little... and now it stays on fine in normal wear, but can come undone if the end gets caught in clothing and twists round. #-o

I should have my new camera by this time next week!

Emerald
22-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Oh welldone thats lovely :Y:

bustagasket
22-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Heather that looks wonderful! i want to do some chains at some point, but then i want to do everything lol

kymbi
22-09-2009, 09:02 PM
I like the added beads to your bracelet Heather, I think it gives it a little twist :D

Di Sandland
22-09-2009, 10:18 PM
:Y: Oh, I do like that. Well done you!

MuranoSilver
22-09-2009, 11:40 PM
wonderful combo of maille and beads :D

snow_imp
23-09-2009, 07:14 AM
That piece is beautiful. I haven't mastered that chain design yet, but I'm working on it.

Kalorlo
23-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Thanks to you all :D

I want to make some matching earrings and a necklace that'll consist of round bits of helm joined by sections of plain chain, but I keep getting home and being utterly zonked this week. I blame the dark, it makes me want to hibernate.

agent_44
23-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Helm Chain is lovely, and the beads are a great addition. It looks fab!

Kalorlo
24-09-2009, 11:01 PM
CAMERA ARRIVED! I got a Panasonic Lumix TZ6 and it's lovely.

My SD card's still in the post though, so I can only take 7 high quality piccies at a time on the internal storage.

These are just on automatic macro settings, no flash and bad lighting on my desk. I've only cropped them. When I set up a proper little photography spot they're going to look awesome!

1. Bracelet again.
2. Sample pieces. Byzantine, Rhinos Snorting Drano, something that was going to be a Celtic unit but was too floppy so I undid it again, Stepping Stones (really like this one, but only made a little bit as it goes through the tiny rings like whoa), Camelot (also a bit floppy). Aluminium and brass.
3. What I made tonight - I found that in this size of ring, helm chain connected to itself makes a really nice little flower. It's also great fun to play with because it can flex in on itself into a cup shape. Won't hold it without some reinforcement though. The brown cord is for illustration - I can see having it on its own as a little pendant, or linking them together to make a longer chain.
4. Same thing but with slightly differently sized rings. This one's a lot stiffer and you can push it into a kind of basket-bottom shape. (Yeah, it's a bit covered in scars. George warned me but I just couldn't resist the red and black rings when I was ordering! It's less obvious not looked at through a camera).

303 304 305 306

Kalorlo
26-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Here's what I made last night - Half Persian 3-in-1 bracelet in brass with an S-hook clasp. It's the first time I've made one of those clasps, and as you can see from the second photo, it's a little wibbly in places. (That wire was tough to bend! And tougher to straighten out again...)

It was a real arse to get started - took three tutorials and two false starts and in the end I pinned it to a bit of polystyrene until I got past the first few repetitions so that it'd hold its shape and not disintegrate into a random bundle of rings!

313 314

Di Sandland
26-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Heather they're lovely - worth the fighting to start off with.

bustagasket
26-09-2009, 02:44 PM
looking really good heather!

Emerald
26-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Super Heather well done, i love the stepping stone one, i havent tried it yet though =D>

agent_44
26-09-2009, 03:25 PM
That weave looks great in brass :)

Kalorlo
27-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Today's bracelet - Byzantine joined by large rings. I then added some Czech glass beads and a serpentine bead to the large rings. I'd been planning to add a smaller bead on a dangle to each as well, but didn't think it would work in the end.

Photos with and without beads:

324 325

snow_imp
28-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Wow, I love the second bracelet, partly because I'm playing with the byzantine weave a lot myself, and because it looks so good in the colours you've used.

MuranoSilver
28-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Like it - they look like little satellites...
The Byzantine solar system! :D
nicx

amazingbabe
28-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Wow i love both,, i have never tried that type of jewellery, i love it thought it looks so intricate :)

Kalorlo
28-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Hee, thanks Nic and Anne! It can actually roll over itself up and down your wrist, which was another reason for not adding dangles - I was foreseeing somewhat uncomfortable jams if I did :D

Gayle: thanks! It's easier than it looks - well, at least in the weaves I'm trying so far. They *are* rated at the lowest difficulty on cgmaille.com, mind...

snow_imp
28-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Hi Karlolo

I've just read your blog - really interesting.

I'd really like to try making a wire tree - where did you find the instructions if you don't mind telling.

:~:

Emerald
28-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Today's bracelet - Byzantine joined by large rings. I then added some Czech glass beads and a serpentine bead to the large rings. I'd been planning to add a smaller bead on a dangle to each as well, but didn't think it would work in the end.

Photos with and without beads:

324 325

wow they look really good with the stone in the middle theres no stopping you know lol

Kalorlo
28-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Anne: I've PMed you - there are a number of places with instructions if you google, but the ones I used are in someone's personal journal, so I don't know how much she'd want them linked to from here.

snow_imp
28-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Anne: I've PMed you - there are a number of places with instructions if you google, but the ones I used are in someone's personal journal, so I don't know how much she'd want them linked to from here.

Thanks very much.