PDA

View Full Version : Polishing scratched kyanite

elektray
01-09-2018, 01:54 PM
Hi all,

I've scratched my kyanite cabochon stone with the pusher whilst I was setting it. The pusher slipped from the bezel and I ended up with a scratch visible under the light :-( Don't have to deny I feel very upset by my mistake.

After a bit of search online I have found this US made polishing mandrels impregnated with 2000 grit diamond paste which they say remove surface scratches to stones: stuller.com/products/11-6065/?groupId=1915

Is there anything similar available to buy in UK that you would recommend? What process would you recommend I would follow?

Thank you in advance for your help.

enigma
01-09-2018, 04:00 PM
I use diamond compound pastes from Manchester minerals, you need to scroll right down towards the bottom of this page:
https://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/acatalog/Lapidary_accessories.html
I use 60, 30, 16, 6, 3 and 1 generally but different stones do vary.
It lasts for ages so whilst it would be cheaper to just replace your stone its not a bad thing to have around anyway but just one grade would definitely not be sufficient, if its hard enough to remove a scratch it will leave its own scratches hence the need for several grades.

J Allison
01-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Have you got a picture , I could do it for you £7.50 plus postage

TDA20
02-09-2018, 06:57 AM
I use diamond compound pastes from Manchester minerals, you need to scroll right down towards the bottom of this page:
https://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/acatalog/Lapidary_accessories.html
I use 60, 30, 16, 6, 3 and 1 generally but different stones do vary.
It lasts for ages so whilst it would be cheaper to just replace your stone its not a bad thing to have around anyway but just one grade would definitely not be sufficient, if its hard enough to remove a scratch it will leave its own scratches hence the need for several grades.

Out of interest Enigma, how do you apply it? On a felt polishing mop?

Kellz
02-09-2018, 09:08 AM
I’ve recently tried micro-mesh sheets from Moleroda Finishing Products. I use regular for silver but they do sheets called micro-mesh mxd diamond for metal alloys, ceramics and stone. The grading system is different to sandpaper but I use up to 2000 normal then on to the sheets and after the last one its almost a mirror finish. If you phone and tell them what its for they will advise.

enigma
02-09-2018, 05:37 PM
I use these, TDA20
https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Felt-Pendant-Point-No.2-prcode-999-ACY

TDA20
02-09-2018, 07:21 PM
Thanks Sarah, now I know what to do if (more likely when) I scratch a stone I’m trying to set!

Tess

enigma
02-09-2018, 10:55 PM
Ive done it a few times with softer stones, although I will say if John is offering to sort it for that price its well worth it and he will likely do a far better job as different stones do vary in how best to polish.

Dennis
03-09-2018, 08:10 AM
I hate remedial work and try to avoid it, because it wastes time and the results are rarely good as new.
So here are some options for the future.

Use a thinner bezel, or softer material such as fine silver, or both.
Use a softer pusher, made from heavy gauge brass wire. Traditionally the end of a pusher is hit with the side of a file a few times to make it less slippery.
Make better fitting bezels, with the aid of a small light box.
Cut scallops or other designs into the bezel edges, to reduce the amount of metal to be pushed. Dennis.

elektray
10-10-2018, 03:08 PM
Thank you all for your replies. They are very helpful.

elektray
10-10-2018, 03:18 PM
Dennis, That's great advice. One clarification whwn you say to the pusher with the side of a file what do you mean? My pushers are new, so this tip could definitely help. Thanks

elektray
10-10-2018, 04:13 PM
Great tips. When you advice hitting the pusher with the side of a file, what do yiu mean?
Do I file the end of the pusher? Thanks

I hate remedial work and try to avoid it, because it wastes time and the results are rarely good as new.
So here are some options for the future.

Use a thinner bezel, or softer material such as fine silver, or both.
Use a softer pusher, made from heavy gauge brass wire. Traditionally the end of a pusher is hit with the side of a file a few times to make it less slippery.
Make better fitting bezels, with the aid of a small light box.
Cut scallops or other designs into the bezel edges, to reduce the amount of metal to be pushed. Dennis.