PDA

View Full Version : Micromotor as pendant drill?

Niamh
06-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Hi everyone,
I really want to start learning to flush set diamonds, but i only have a flex shaft on a dremel 4000 it has varying speeds but i cant control the speed with a foot pedal which i think would be very handy. I cant afford a pendant motor sadly but i saw micromotor marathon drills and thought they looked like they might do the same job? can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thankyou

china
06-08-2018, 02:30 PM
Yes you can use a micromotor to cut seats and many other operations some only have a micromotor, they are not powerful as a pendant, I would be surprised if it would be a lot cheaper.

CJ57
06-08-2018, 02:43 PM
I would think the Marathon micromotors may be cheaper. I have a foredom and it was so much more expensive than the pendant

Niamh
06-08-2018, 03:03 PM
I would think the Marathon micromotors may be cheaper. I have a foredom and it was so much more expensive than the pendant

Thank you both,
I dont know if its a good deal but i managed to buy a second hand SECO pendant motor hardly used with a fingertip controller for £125. Im hoping its worth the extra £70-80

CJ57
06-08-2018, 03:45 PM
The foot control is more sensitive as you can tegulate it as you go without having to take a hand away to change the speed n a dial.if you can work a sewing machine a foot control is no bother

ps_bond
06-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Fine control of the speeds is essential - *any* foot pedal is an improvement. The SECO sounds a good buy.

I use my micromotors for drilling, cutting seats, polishing... TBH, the pendant motor rarely gets used now.

Ankolosova
09-08-2018, 02:23 PM
I want to jump in discussion if I may. I have Dremel 3500 and at some times it does make me feel scared for my life... Although I always try to protect my eyes etc.. it's too powerful at low speeds... I was thinking if I can go for something with better controls over speed? would micro-motor would be better solution? so after studying options I found recently this one
https://www.dentalplaza.co.uk/Marathon-N3-S07-Micro-Motor-16130-dental.html?_ad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk_aS-Y_g3AIVAUPTCh0Iwg57EAQYDSABEgLXK_D_BwE
so you think would be decent replacement? would I be able to use my Dremel burrs? looking at swap from Dremel to micro-moter it for months now... still not sure if ready to buy and spend too much

ps_bond
09-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Apart from a generally lower torque (more expensive models tend to have more) the one issue to watch out for is that micromotors can usually only accept 1 size. Most jewellery-related rotary tools use a 3/32" (2.35mm) shank, so that'll preclude the easy use of 1/8" shanks, standard drill bits and the like. Looking at the spec it seems not bad, but the site itself makes me twitch - the language is off, they've stolen the image from here (https://www.abdn.ac.uk/news/3474/) for "who we are", the company address is shown in London, there's a 2nd London address listed as the office (but they don't take returns) and the real address is in China. None of that would encourage me to buy from them.

Ankolosova
09-08-2018, 03:24 PM
but the site itself makes me twitch - the language is off, they've stolen the image from here (https://www.abdn.ac.uk/news/3474/) for "who we are", the company address is shown in London, there's a 2nd London address listed as the office (but they don't take returns) and the real address is in China. None of that would encourage me to buy from them. oh I would never look at such details... good I have asked ... will definitely stay away now from that option.. although I do believe all tools are done in china now on the same factory...
anyhow....
so still for my future consideration, when I finally decide to switch from Dremel to Micromotor, am I right to understand that Micromotor will give me better control over speed and stop/start rather then Pendant motor or Dremel or similar tools. If I go for any micromotor I have to either sacrifice my different sizes of burrs and find replacements for micromotor diameter or it does depend on models what shank size they use? My only issue is Dremel is too poweful... really want to find something where I can have access to quick control.... if I would be working at lower speeds rather then 3000rpm would I be able to achieve good results ( I maindly sand/polish /remove extra metal and drill)

ps_bond
09-08-2018, 03:44 PM
although I do believe all tools are done in china now on the same factory...

Absolutely not the case. There are plenty of manufacturers who do not use Chinese factories to manufacture, yet still get copied.

so still for my future consideration, when I finally decide to switch from Dremel to Micromotor, am I right to understand that Micromotor will give me better control over speed and stop/start rather then Pendant motor or Dremel or similar tools. If I go for any micromotor I have to either sacrifice my different sizes of burrs and find replacements for micromotor diameter or it does depend on models what shank size they use? My only issue is Dremel is too poweful... really want to find something where I can have access to quick control.... if I would be working at lower speeds rather then 3000rpm would I be able to achieve good results ( I maindly sand/polish /remove extra metal and drill)

I use my micromotors almost exclusively now for setting, grinding, polishing, drilling. The fine control you get you cannot achieve with a hand-held Dremel, the units are easier to handle (smaller & lighter) and you can slow-start with practice. I'd suggest having a look & see which attachments you have that aren't 2.35mm and work out a) if you can do without them, b) if you can find an alternative or c) you can use the Dremel on just those attachments. Drill bits are the biggest issue - you really need to use shanked bits with a micromotor; there are small chucks available, but I don't find them terribly good.

Ankolosova
09-08-2018, 09:47 PM
Absolutely not the case. There are plenty of manufacturers who do not use Chinese factories to manufacture, yet still get copied.

I use my micromotors almost exclusively now for setting, grinding, polishing, drilling. The fine control you get you cannot achieve with a hand-held Dremel, the units are easier to handle (smaller & lighter) and you can slow-start with practice. I'd suggest having a look & see which attachments you have that aren't 2.35mm and work out a) if you can do without them, b) if you can find an alternative or c) you can use the Dremel on just those attachments. Drill bits are the biggest issue - you really need to use shanked bits with a micromotor; there are small chucks available, but I don't find them terribly good.

Thank you Peter, even more convinced more now that I have to find something quieter then Dremel to feel safer and more confident!

Paul Kay
09-08-2018, 10:18 PM
Haha, nice try, but I wouldn't buy from them. If you go to their dentalPlaza/Meet The Team page and click on some of the 'Team' images and ask Google to search for them, you will start to see that some at least are Stock Images. Ms Eroglu in particular is multi-talented and not only has 4 years experience as a Customer Services representative in dentistry, but also works as a Website Developer in Vancouver Canada, and for a Balloon Manufacturer in the USA.

Although it is common practice to use such Stock Images in corporate websites, to humanise them a little, it is somewhat rarer to actually give names to Stock faces.

i would equate 'Fake Staff' = 'Fake Product'

Ah! Mr Millward works variously in Customs Clearance, Taxation, Transportation and Drug Free Workplace Training, around the world, simultaneously. A truly New Renaissance man. That's just the first page, he's a popular young man/image; there are 13 pages of him at least! Best laugh I've had all day, and today I've laughed at lot.

Their PR Director Alexis Rosa also works here as an Optical Dispensing Manager, where they know her as Pam: https://www.easttneyes.com/about/

ps_bond
10-08-2018, 05:53 AM
You spent longer tracking down the images than I did - after the Aberdeen one (not a stock photo) I didn't go any further. Mind you, I'm glad you did - you've given me a laugh too.

Still, there's an important caveat shown - just because an organisation has a .uk address doesn't mean they're in the UK.

Paul Kay
10-08-2018, 08:34 AM
... - after the Aberdeen one (not a stock photo) I didn't go any further.

Yes, the Aberdeen Dental School one was the one that prompted me to check the 'Team' photos. Very true about .uk addresses, but it cuts both ways, when EU regulations forced Italy to open up their .it addresses to the residents of other EU nations, and 'thing'it was still a popular meme for application, company and domain names I registered a number of 'name'.it domain names for company and personal use. Happily a meme that has generally died out, I personally hated it as a lazy option.

ps_bond
10-08-2018, 09:56 AM
Sounds about as bad as the Mesopotamia TLD.
Or is that not what the .me domains are about? :D

Paul Kay
10-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Sounds about as bad as the Mesopotamia TLD.
Or is that not what the .me domains are about? :D

Arggh! caught out for my vanity domain. #-o