PDA

View Full Version : how do you design?

eekoh
16-06-2018, 04:08 PM
More for my curiosity than practical advice as I know everyone has different levels of practical skills and training that will aid them in this, but im interested in how folks here go about it?

We all take inspiration from different things but do you draw or sketch your ideas? Make little prototype models out of other materials like paper or plasticine? Grab your tools and get stuck straight in?
I seem to do a combination of all these things but I definitely find physical 3d things better than drawings to help me visualise whether a piece will work and to get the right size and proportions.

The other thing I wondered is has your approach changed as you've learned your craft and become more familiar with the materials you work with, or from some other influence or training?

china
16-06-2018, 04:33 PM
I usually do rough sketches for new ideas / designs, that way I can can erase them a 100 times before I am happy, then hopefully I can create it once off

CJ57
16-06-2018, 05:40 PM
Mine evolve at the bench. Sometimes I’ll get a shape in my head and put it on paper but it’s very rough and rarely ends up like that. It’s mostly in my head. If something doesn’t sell after a while I’ll go back and refine or change things I don’t like, sometimes it’s just changing the finish. I find it’s usally something I’ve rushed through and haven’t been completely happy when I’ve finished it but I’ve had a deadline.

We were made to draw detailed designs from every elevation at College for 4 years and sometimes I have to remind myself that I could once draw as I don’t seem to be able to get my head round it now. I’m happier physically building on a design until I feel I’ve got to a place Where I think it’s good

Dennis
16-06-2018, 09:39 PM
Wake up one morning with a new idea.
Make a large sketch and refine it by tracing on a light box.
Reduce to size with my copier. Some details will become too small to be relevant.
Try to make it in copper first, to iron out snags. Dennis.

enigma
16-06-2018, 10:06 PM
Depends what it is to an extent but pretty much always have a sketch first.
If its something involving stones I will often set them out too on the bench to decide on colours and sizes.

Goldsmith
17-06-2018, 09:47 AM
I draw sketches, refine them and paint them with watercolours before showing them to my customers. If commissioned I then make copper patterns before committing the design to precious metals.
If you don't know already most of my past work has not been jewellery, mostly ornamental pieces of gold and enamels.

James

eekoh
17-06-2018, 04:00 PM
Makes sense that drawing would be pretty important for commissions - when you need to visualise someone elses ideas or get customer approval or input to a design you have to be able to produce something they can see and understand.

I sketch some things but I'm usually unsatisfied with the results as they often don't convey the dimensions of what I'm picturing clearly enough. I can actually draw quite well but my natural style is much more rough impression sketches than technical design so its probably something I should practice more!

Goldsmith
17-06-2018, 04:25 PM
Makes sense that drawing would be pretty important for commissions - when you need to visualise someone elses ideas or get customer approval or input to a design you have to be able to produce something they can see and understand.

I sketch some things but I'm usually unsatisfied with the results as they often don't convey the dimensions of what I'm picturing clearly enough. I can actually draw quite well but my natural style is much more rough impression sketches than technical design so its probably something I should practice more!

Here are a few of my designs alongside the finished pieces Hazel, life size 18ct. flowers in vases.

11356 11357 11358

James

enigma
17-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Its not just commissions, it doesn't matter so much with silver but if you work in gold you need to have an accurate sketch to be able to order the exact amount of gold.

eekoh
19-06-2018, 01:01 PM
Another very good point Sarah, getting metal quantities wrong could be expensive and time-consuming mistakes.

I'm always impressed by your flowers James and doubly so by the accuracy of your design drawings - you obviously do have a very clear idea of what you intend to make each time. As you're making life-like recreations of natural objects did you start with photos / book illustrations or an actual cutting of the plants? Also, do you ever do 'fantasy' plants that you've completely made up yourself?

Goldsmith
19-06-2018, 01:52 PM
Another very good point Sarah, getting metal quantities wrong could be expensive and time-consuming mistakes.

I'm always impressed by your flowers James and doubly so by the accuracy of your design drawings - you obviously do have a very clear idea of what you intend to make each time. As you're making life-like recreations of natural objects did you start with photos / book illustrations or an actual cutting of the plants? Also, do you ever do 'fantasy' plants that you've completely made up yourself?

Hazel, when I started making these flowers I got inspiration on how to shape petals from a book showing how to make fabric and silk flowers, I am also a keen photographer so I do have a lot of flower bloom photos. In the past I have made a few flowers that are made up shapes, one customer had a some rock crystal scent bottles which I used as vases for these three made up flower sprays.

James

china
19-06-2018, 02:01 PM
That's really good stuff James, if I become half that good I will be happy, your drawings are art in their own right

marcos9999
09-04-2019, 05:08 AM
For many years during the 80's I used to carve wax models of rings or pendants. At the same time I dabbled with 3D modeling using computer programs. I was never satisfied with the way these models looked. Lifeless and hard edged. However technology have change all of that. I now use ZBrush and Rhino to sculpt some of my pieces and it is as organic as any other living thing. However I'm making a come back to wax carving. Nothing beats the feeling and look of a naturally sculpted thing done by hand. Also, wax carving is more fun than sitting for hours on end in front of a computer.