PDA

View Full Version : Casting

Kellz
15-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Hi everyone.
I’ve just started casting silver and have had all the problems that other members have mentioned. Not enough heat and getting the silver melted only for it to solidify as I started the pour. Flame too close or too far away apparently. Finally found that sweet spot and managed the pour only to find there wasn’t enough silver. Melted it down and added more silver and had my first success.😀 I used a button for the impression into delft clay and soldered a loop onto the back and have it as a key ring. I have noticed some tiny pits in the back but not sure what caused this.

Dennis
15-06-2018, 04:51 PM
You did very well and as far as i can see by screwing up my eyes It's a piece to be proud of.

In delft clay casting, the metal is only introduce by gravity, so you can expect the odd air or gas bubble. If you want it more perfect you need a centrifugal machine and a vacuum pump.

A close up picture would be a bonus. Dennis.

josef1
15-06-2018, 04:53 PM
Pits can be porosity caused by overheating the metal.

Kellz
15-06-2018, 09:21 PM
Sorry Dennis. Is this better?

Dennis
15-06-2018, 10:31 PM
Much. I can see he's a friendly sort of chap. I wouldn't mind him on my key ring. Dennis.

Kellz
17-06-2018, 05:51 AM
Glad you like him. I can’t justify the expense of the machinery you mention as I am really only using my scrap silver. I am retired and do the silver work for fun not professionally. Thanks for the encouragement it is much appreciated.

TDA20
17-06-2018, 09:02 AM
Kells, I think your owl is fab and has come out really well.

Invasion
15-07-2018, 03:47 PM
I really like that...it has come out very well :)
I have just been watching one of Andrew Berry's videos on cuttlefish casting he explains about making sure the silver has reached correct temperature as it is easy to miss judge....really worth a look.

Kellz
16-07-2018, 07:29 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback folk. I’ve watched Andrew Berry (he’s very good) but its still a bit trial and error when you first start. I’ve only cast silver in delft clay but I have cast pewter using cuttlefish. The pewter, having a lower melting point doesn’t make the cuttlefish smell so bad.

Invasion
16-07-2018, 07:34 AM
I'm still to try casting myself really looking forward to trying it...I take it you prefer the clay What are the pros and cons of each ?

Kellz
16-07-2018, 06:07 PM
I do like the clay because its easier to place the former and the mold keeps everything in place and properly aligned.
The detail is also very good. Having said that you can carve into cuttlefish and you have a readymade pattern. I have posted a few photos of cast pewter if you can find them.