PDA

View Full Version : Silver and Titanium Ratio

bradaz2722
09-06-2018, 06:19 AM
Hello I'm making my wedding rings and I've got more then enough heirloom silver to make my 6mm Q and a 4mm O 1/2 for my wife-to-be. But I would like to add some titanium for its strength and resistance to the elements. What ratio would be advised for an Ag:Ti alloy?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

china
09-06-2018, 07:09 AM
Ti + 4.5% Ag you wont melt it with propane /LPG

Dennis
09-06-2018, 08:39 AM
Sentimental value or not, you ill be creating an alloy that can't be hallmarked so rendering it a 'white metal' of unpredictable hue.

Why not sell it and buy 9 ct oval white wire instead, which will give you beautiful hard wearing white rings with a slight yellow cast. Dennis.

ps_bond
09-06-2018, 11:59 AM
Inert atmosphere, TIG torch & graphite crucible. Pretty much the only small-scale way to alloy that mix.

http://www.santafesymposium.org/2013-santa-fe-symposium-papers/2013-exploring-silver-titanium-alloys

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/018321.pdf also has some detail on an Ti/Ag binary alloy; there are papers out there on Ag/Ti/Cu & Ti/Ag/Pd ternary alloys. At the very least you'd need to locate appropriate phase diagrams - and there seems to be an issue with intermetallics between Ti & Ag.

bradaz2722
09-06-2018, 09:05 PM
Sentimental value or not, you ill be creating an alloy that can't be hallmarked so rendering it a 'white metal' of unpredictable hue.

Why not sell it and buy 9 ct oval white wire instead, which will give you beautiful hard wearing white rings with a slight yellow cast. Dennis.Appearances in hue and cash value are insignificant, it's more the fact I'm creating them from her recently passed father's rings. I've bought way to much equipment such as crucibles and torches and had spent plenty of time researching how to sand cast, I got my heart on making them this way. Unfortunately my science isn't great and in particular elements and alloy stability.
I thought mixing silver and titanium would give them better strength and from what I've found out less likely to tarnish. I was going to just cast the silver and have them rhodium plated but soon drifted away from that idea as they will need replating as time goes on. I was hoping for a 50/50 mix of the two but I've got a year to get to the bottom of this.
If you are interested in the outcome I will return here with the finished rings.
Thank you for your reply

Dennis
09-06-2018, 09:21 PM
Yes, we will certainly look forward to seeing the result. Dennis.

bradaz2722
10-06-2018, 07:40 AM
Ti + 4.5% Ag you wont melt it with propane /LPGThank you China, I've got a mapp gas blowtorch that would be able to melt both metals but I have now learned that the correct atmosphere must be in place to achieve this alloy. I don't think I'm going to persue any further but maybe look for a different metal to mix with.

Dennis
10-06-2018, 08:48 AM
Suggest you create a near 9ct white gold then. It will be very durable and attractive in colour and will not have any problems with melting. Dennis.

bradaz2722
11-06-2018, 07:27 PM
Suggest you create a near 9ct white gold then. It will be very durable and attractive in colour and will not have any problems with melting. Dennis.You know what that sounds a lot simpler. I'll hit the books as soon as I can. Thank you Dennis