PDA

View Full Version : New member

rightside
04-06-2018, 08:29 AM
Hi
I have just joined. Advice needed about using a scroll saw to cut 3mm brass. I currently use a piercing saw but was wondering if a scroll saw with the right blade could be used. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks

ps_bond
04-06-2018, 08:33 AM
A scroll saw can do it, ideally one with variable speed; jewellers saw blades work fine with mine. The issues to watch out for are a) don't try and feed the metal in too fast, as it'll cause the blade tracking to go awry and b) unlike a jewellers saw, you only use a small section of the blade so it'll blunt faster (variable stroke depth would be nice, but not even Hegner do that). I remain uncertain if the scroll saw is actually any faster on metal than using a sawframe...

Dennis
04-06-2018, 10:54 AM
No as Peter has indicated, a scroll saw can be a thorough nuisance for cutting metal. I bought a Proxxon many years ago and soon abandoned it.

What with keeping it on track, blunting, or breaking, changing to a new blade by manipulating a key in a dark lower recess, it just was not worth it.

You are much better off with a jewellers saw and a heavy blade, say 1/0 for thick metal and waxing every five or six strokes. Dennis.

rightside
04-06-2018, 04:47 PM
No as Peter has indicated, a scroll saw can be a thorough nuisance for cutting metal. I bought a Proxxon many years ago and soon abandoned it.

What with keeping it on track, blunting, or breaking, changing to a new blade by manipulating a key in a dark lower recess, it just was not worth it.

You are much better off with a jewellers saw and a heavy blade, say 1/0 for thick metal and waxing every five or six strokes. Dennis.

Thanks for the advice. On reflection it seems that I will stick with the saw.