PDA

View Full Version : Setting gems into wood.....

Pickle
25-05-2018, 08:40 PM
Hello,

My dad is making my mam a ukulele for their 40th wedding anniversary.....instead of the pearl inlays on the frets he wants to use sapphires! I can set stones into silver but does anyone have any idea how to go about setting them into wood? It seems a shame just to glue them in (as dad wants to do lol)

Many thanks in advance.

ps_bond
25-05-2018, 08:48 PM
Tube set them in silver, then glue the tubes into the wood.

Pickle
25-05-2018, 09:11 PM
very sensible.....thank you Peter :)

Dennis
25-05-2018, 09:39 PM
I know, I know, sapphire wedding anniversary and all that, but if you use real sapphires, size limited by price, you will be distinctly under whelmed by the result.

Foil backed chatons of sapphire colour can be glued directly into wood without detriment, will be a tad brighter and will allow you to choose a size, not limited by price.

https://www.google.com/search?q=foil+backed+chatons%2C+sapphire&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

In fact there will be a surplus in your budget, to make a piece of real sapphire jewellery. Dennis.

CJ57
26-05-2018, 12:01 AM
I have thousands of high quality vintage paste sapphires and every other 'gemstone' of all shapes and sizes imaginable and a lovely colour. I'd be happy to send you some if you want. I can look them out and show you the colour if you're interested

Pickle
26-05-2018, 05:29 AM
I know, I know, sapphire wedding anniversary and all that, but if you use real sapphires, size limited by price, you will be distinctly under whelmed by the result.

Foil backed chatons of sapphire colour can be glued directly into wood without detriment, will be a tad brighter and will allow you to choose a size, not limited by price.

https://www.google.com/search?q=foil+backed+chatons%2C+sapphire&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

In fact there will be a surplus in your budget, to make a piece of real sapphire jewellery. Dennis.

Dennis - I know too - try explaining that to my Dad!......maybe I will show him your message :) I agree a piece of nice jewellery and just bling up the uke with crystals

Pickle
26-05-2018, 05:35 AM
I have thousands of high quality vintage paste sapphires and every other 'gemstone' of all shapes and sizes imaginable and a lovely colour. I'd be happy to send you some if you want. I can look them out and show you the colour if you're interested

Ah thank you Caroline....that sounds very interesting....yes please. I am at work from 7.30am til 8.30pm but will look out for you later on or over the next few days. No rush. Thanks again, Nicola x

Snorkmaiden
26-05-2018, 01:10 PM
Could you use a cloudy sapphire - or ruby - they aren't as expensive and you could get a flat one to inlay like MOP. (Isn't Sapphire for 45th wedding anniversary? - I think paste would be fine too).

Glad my next one is Silver - OH talking about getting me an ingot!!!

CJ57
27-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Ah thank you Caroline....that sounds very interesting....yes please. I am at work from 7.30am til 8.30pm but will look out for you later on or over the next few days. No rush. Thanks again, Nicola x

This is just a few of them Nicola. I have unopened packets of 5 or 10gross
As you can hopefully see the colours vary quite a lot. The largest and tiniest are the deepest colours with some pretty blues in between. There are other sizes and shapes but thought baguettes and pears would be too difficult. I’m quite happy to send a selection of all depending on how much bling your dad wants.

Pickle
29-05-2018, 06:34 AM
Hi Caroline, thanks so much for that, you are a star. I am seeing my dad today so will show him and speak to him. Can you give me a rough idea of cost please? Nic x

Pickle
29-05-2018, 06:37 AM
Hello :) you are totally right and I was wrong....it is indeed their 45th....I should have known as I am 41 and I was deffo born AFTER they married hehehe! Do you know where to source flat cloudy sapphires from? I've had a quick search to no avail.....thank you, Nicola x ps. fingers crossed for that ingot ;)

CJ57
29-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Hi Caroline, thanks so much for that, you are a star. I am seeing my dad today so will show him and speak to him. Can you give me a rough idea of cost please? Nic x

No cost at all, I bought them at an auction 20years ago and have thousands in every ‘gemstone’ and shape. They will be imperial rather than metric sizes for drilling holes but my OH says that’s not a problem.

Snorkmaiden
29-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Hello :) you are totally right and I was wrong....it is indeed their 45th....I should have known as I am 41 and I was deffo born AFTER they married hehehe! Do you know where to source flat cloudy sapphires from? I've had a quick search to no avail.....thank you, Nicola x ps. fingers crossed for that ingot ;)

Hi Pickle, It is the sort of thing you see at the gem shows but nothing now till September. If you are being offered free sapphires - I'd take them. Alternatively try searching sapphire slice, or ask Curious Gem who have some round cabs - not sure how flat they are on the back. Ux

CJ57
29-05-2018, 05:05 PM
Hi Pickle, It is the sort of thing you see at the gem shows but nothing now till September. If you are being offered free sapphires - I'd take them. Alternatively try searching sapphire slice, or ask Curious Gem who have some round cabs - not sure how flat they are on the back. Ux

Free blingy antique paste, not quite rich enough to offer free sapphires !

Pickle
29-05-2018, 06:08 PM

Hehehe! Thank you Caroline....Dad's going to measure up etc...will let you know asap x

CJ57
29-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Hehehe! Thank you Caroline....Dad's going to measure up etc...will let you know asap x

Ok, will go through the packets, those were only in the tubs. The rubies emeralds and aquamarine are particularly nice and much more standard in colour. I would imagine they date from around the 1950s and some seem to be French & Czech
Now you just need to find a nice real sapphire to set in something

Snorkmaiden
30-05-2018, 08:37 AM

Haha! Read it more carefully. They would do the job though. Mind you, I was given a free bag of alluvial sapphire gravel by a geologist in Oz many years ago. Don't know what to do with them though.

Pickle
30-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Ok, will go through the packets, those were only in the tubs. The rubies emeralds and aquamarine are particularly nice and much more standard in colour. I would imagine they date from around the 1950s and some seem to be French & Czech
Now you just need to find a nice real sapphire to set in something

We have seen this ukulele ring (you need to scroll down) - thought maybe I could set a sapphire in the hole? Unless anyone has any other ideas of ukulele themed jewellery ? :D http://www.guitarringsbyisis.com/Collection.htm

ShinyLauren
30-05-2018, 05:23 PM
This sounds like an amazing project - please show us a picture when it's done!

That ukulele ring is cute as well.

Pickle
30-05-2018, 06:27 PM
This sounds like an amazing project - please show us a picture when it's done!

That ukulele ring is cute as well.

I will do.....anniversary is not until September but we are allowing ourselves plenty of time :D x

handmadeblanks
30-05-2018, 08:34 PM

I've learnt something - sapphire is for 45th wedding anniversary and ukulele is for 40th.

CJ57
30-05-2018, 08:48 PM
I've learnt something - sapphire is for 45th wedding anniversary and ukulele is for 40th.
I think the uke is personal to them as a 40th would be ruby. I could have done rubies as well!

Pickle
31-05-2018, 05:38 AM

Hahahahaha!!

Pickle
31-05-2018, 05:43 AM
I think the uke is personal to them as a 40th would be ruby. I could have done rubies as well!

Yep, they started learning together via Youtube about 5 years ago then they set up a little, local group and hired a tutor and the group learned together. The group is now about 25 strong and they travel all over Northumberland playing for local charities, they have raised thousands over the years. Holidays for my parents now are weekends away in their converted campervan visiting ukulele festivals.......old hippies that they are ;)

CJ57
31-05-2018, 09:21 AM
Yep, they started learning together via Youtube about 5 years ago then they set up a little, local group and hired a tutor and the group learned together. The group is now about 25 strong and they travel all over Northumberland playing for local charities, they have raised thousands over the years. Holidays for my parents now are weekends away in their converted campervan visiting ukulele festivals.......old hippies that they are ;)

I have a friend who has expanded his range of products to make ukeleles. I must admit he’s making some lovely pieces and I think has found his forte. http://jimstottportfolio.co.uk/ukuleles

Pickle
01-06-2018, 05:35 AM
I have a friend who has expanded his range of products to make ukeleles. I must admit he’s making some lovely pieces and I think has found his forte. http://jimstottportfolio.co.uk/ukuleles

Wow, they ARE lovely Caroline....I shall have to send that link to my dad. He has started making them too, but just for fun. He has measured up and, for the frets, he reckons he will need 6 x 3mm (or imperial equivalent) and 6 x 2mm (or imperial equivalent) and maybe a bigger blingy one as a feature. The crown height of the 3mm gems would have to be quite shallow (1 or 2mm) so they don't interfere with the strings. Phew....who knew ukuleles could be so complicated???!@

Nicola x

CJ57
01-06-2018, 11:03 AM
Wow, they ARE lovely Caroline....I shall have to send that link to my dad. He has started making them too, but just for fun. He has measured up and, for the frets, he reckons he will need 6 x 3mm (or imperial equivalent) and 6 x 2mm (or imperial equivalent) and maybe a bigger blingy one as a feature. The crown height of the 3mm gems would have to be quite shallow (1 or 2mm) so they don't interfere with the strings. Phew....who knew ukuleles could be so complicated???!@

Nicola x

I think I’ll just send you a load to play around with. They are machine cut so nothing a can do with the depth or height, the larger the stone the deeper they are. If I do that then he can have a play with a scrap bit of wood to best effect. If you pm me your address I’ll get them sent off on Mon if not before. Caroline x

Pickle
01-06-2018, 02:06 PM
I think I’ll just send you a load to play around with. They are machine cut so nothing a can do with the depth or height, the larger the stone the deeper they are. If I do that then he can have a play with a scrap bit of wood to best effect. If you pm me your address I’ll get them sent off on Mon if not before. Caroline x

you are a star, thank you :D Will PM you now. x

Pickle
06-06-2018, 06:34 AM
Hi Caroline, just to say that the sapphires arrived on Monday....they are gorgeously sparkly and blingy...lush colour...my dad loves them, thank you so much....let the experimenting begin :) xxx

Pickle
06-06-2018, 06:35 AM
and thank you to everyone else for your help, advice and input x

CJ57
06-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Hi Caroline, just to say that the sapphires arrived on Monday....they are gorgeously sparkly and blingy...lush colour...my dad loves them, thank you so much....let the experimenting begin :) xxx

That’s good, hope it works. We look forward to seeing the finished result

TDA20
06-06-2018, 08:58 PM
Can't wait to see the pics :)

Pickle
24-09-2018, 03:23 PM
That’s good, hope it works. We look forward to seeing the finished result

Hi Caroline....at long last....here are some photos of the finished ukulele...it is so blingy but my photographing skills don't do it justice. In the light, the sapphires look like little blue electric bulbs! Dad didn't have time by the time of the anniversary but he is also hoping to mount some of the remaining stones in a circle of rosewood to be stuck around the sound hole.....even more bling ;) Many thanks again to you and everyone else for their help and advice. Hey, maybe it's something your uke maker friend can try xxx Nicola.116001160111602

CJ57
24-09-2018, 04:02 PM
It looks as if he’s made a great job of the ukulele Nicola. Not seeing the stones but glad they were of use. The colours were definitely blingy

Pickle
24-09-2018, 05:09 PM
Ah, sorry about that....the stones are set in the fret where MOP would usually be xxx I can see them but I know what I'm looking at! x

CJ57
24-09-2018, 06:02 PM
Don’t worry. Does your Mum like it more importantly?

Pickle
24-09-2018, 06:11 PM
yes, she LOVES it and can't wait to get on stage under the spotlights to sparkle xxx Couldn't have done it without you or the other Cookies xxx

Dennis
24-09-2018, 07:58 PM
Good result. Glad it all worked out. Caroline came up trumps too. How about another jewellery related project now? Dennis.

Pickle
25-09-2018, 11:05 PM
Good result. Glad it all worked out. Caroline came up trumps too. How about another jewellery related project now? Dennis.

Thanks Dennis. Caroline has been a star. We took your advice about a special piece of jewellery with a real Sapphire. So, it will be ready soon.....ukulele related and as soon as we receive it I will post some pics. I didn't have the time, equipment, experience or inclination (due to breaking my tibia and fibula) to attempt to make anything myself so we outsourced it to someone else. Fingers crossed :) Nicola

Pickle
28-09-2018, 03:44 PM
We had to get these made in the US as no-one in the UK does anything similar. There is a huge uke following in the UK now - loads of festivals and groups. Could be a business idea for someone? x

Dennis
28-09-2018, 08:16 PM
Freight, tax and handling fees. Poor you, but I'm glad you accomplished your mission. Dennis.