PDA

View Full Version : Importing jewellery - advice?

pauljoels
21-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm interested in importing jewellery (I'm guessing from India and China) and was wondering if anyone else has done this and has any advice on it.

I also have a couple of concerns regarding quality of items, and authenticity, I mean, just how do you know if you buy from the other side of the world that what you are getting is sterling silver and not plated/not even silver at all?

I have a colleague who has bought a job lot of jewellery from China, and she intends to sell it on ebay, but I have had a look at it and am not certain that it is sterling - even though it has a 925 mark on it (it doesn't look convincing to me!). How do you know what to trust?

Also, has anyone any idea of what is realistic pricing for silver jewellery from the far east - some of what I have seen seems to be quite cheap, but I cannot work out whether it is because of economies of scale, or it not being sterling silver?

Finally if anyone has any contacts I would be most interested!

Apologies for all the questions - I have been googling and cannot come up with these answers - I just seem to keep turning up the odd useful page amongst all the wholesalers of rubbish jewellery, or tiffany/LoL copies!

Lisa Quinn
21-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm sorry I can't help you, I'm afraid that I am a great admirer of artisans and artists and am of the opinion that the mass produced, exploitative, uninspired bilge that is imported into this country and is sold so cheaply means that real artisans are unable to flourish and prosper I believe that this is a terrible shame and I wouldn't wish to encourage it.

Boo
21-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Nicely put Lisa. I typed an answer in myself earlier and decided that I couldn't really post it.

It's cheap imports of indeterminate quality that cause punters to look down their noses at the good stuff people like us make and they're unable to distinguish the difference in quality - and price. Ultimately, you'd be taking work and credibility away from us.

This perhaps isn't a good place to ask questions like this - especially with the new moon giving us all a hard time this week. :(|

Kalorlo
21-09-2009, 03:47 PM
just how do you know if you buy from the other side of the world that what you are getting is sterling silver and not plated/not even silver at all?

Short version: you don't.
Particularly if you're buying in bulk from eBay or the like, where there's no personal contact with the seller.

ps_bond
21-09-2009, 03:52 PM
I know of a retailer of "cheap" silver who has been selling everything stamped "925" only. They've just had a visit from trading standards over that... And the fact that they don't display the Hallmarking Council card.

(yes, many of the items were >7.78g mass)

Petal
21-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Nicely put Lisa. I typed an answer in myself earlier and decided that I couldn't really post it.

It's cheap imports of indeterminate quality that cause punters to look down their noses at the good stuff people like us make and they're unable to distinguish the difference in quality - and price. Ultimately, you'd be taking work and credibility away from us.

This perhaps isn't a good place to ask questions like this - especially with the new moon giving us all a hard time this week. :(|

I agree with all of the above.!

nuff said
J x

pauljoels
21-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm not actually sure all your comments are fair. I believe there is a place for both the common "bilge" and for the hand crafted. I would just like to know about some info - especially as someone has already commented on importing in another thread - See Ben B's comments here: (http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/how-market-my-jewellery/246-now-ive-gone-done-2.html). I'm not advocating what was said there - I'm trying to find out how you can guarantee the quality of the metal.

Also, I don't actually think it undermines what you guys do (and what I do as a hobby), because the types of people that buy that stuff will probably never buy your jewellery - either because they don't understand it, cannot afford it or other reasons. As sad as it is there will always be these divisions, and I think it a sad fact that people blame cheap mass produced jewellery for others lack of success (or the thought process of their potential customers) - you should really look at segmentation - it really isn't detracting from your customer base, since that part never really existed.

In simpler terms, it's like buying a Vettriano print and a Monet. There are always going to be people who buy the Vettriano prints, but there will always be fewer who would consider buying a real piece of art - and the people selling these things know this, and would not consider trying to sell to them - and more to the point they may not like the other stuff, or appreciate it, but in most cases they can appreciate that there is a place for it in society.

It's easy to do that of course, but I don't think I should be told to go elsewhere to ask the question - if I knew of elsewhere I would ask there (as well)...

I'll ignore the comment about Exploitation since most of the materials people on here that people are using involve exploitation at some point in their lifecycle. Mining for the metals hardly involves fairly paid staff - there was a series of articles on it in National Geographic a while back - fascinating encounters of where the none exploitative jewellery comes from...

If you do not want to answer my initial question that's fine, I don't mind - but I know people on here have all kinds of knowledge.

My main questions, were revolving around trying to ensure that one is sourcing decent, high quality pieces, not from fleabay, but from reputable sources, be they cheap, or fairer prices. I was not asking for advice on buying silver from ebay (or selling it for that matter) - I realise this is will probably end in disaster as you cannot tell anything.

mizgeorge
21-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Paul, whilst I also prefer original pieces, I think there is a place for mass produced. I'd just rather buy (for example) an Italian chain, than a Chinese knock-off. In fact, I do so regularly, as I have neither the skill nor inclination (let alone the equipment) to make my own. I make it very clear that these have been bought in, though almost always from very reputable sources in the UK.

I think you need to be very careful about importing from the Far East. There are reputable manufacturers, but there's also a lot of crud being sold as sterling. Bearing in mind that pretty much all mass produced silver is plated to speed up the production process, you need to make sure that you have a good testing kit, and know how to use it. I can't help with how to find reliable sellers, as it's not something I've ever been interested in. I can tell you that I've helped a number of people get some fairly hefty refunds after buying what they thought were silver chains, especially bracelets, from various Hong Kong based sellers on ebay.

If I were thinking of doing anything like this, I think I might look at importing from Mexico (as Cookson's do) rather than the Far East. I know that's worked brilliantly for companies like HiHo, and at least the designs are likely to be original, and often made by skilled metalsmiths.

caroleallen
21-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Yes, I was going to suggest Mexico, though I do agree with the other comments about cheap imports.

It's a bit of a bone of contention at the local fairs I do. I've been doing them for years and they've always been really successful, until, that is, a young chap turned up a couple of years ago with a massive stand full of imported jewellery. The quality of what he sells is good and of course he can undercut people like me who slog away in their workshops to make the stuff. It's now reached the point where I and other jewellers are seriously thinking about packing it in as our sales have plummeted.

If you do decide to go down this route, you won't find many friends in the jewellery world.

Emerald
21-09-2009, 07:03 PM
but we all use a lot of there components ie chain ,earwires, stringing etc etc

Emerald
21-09-2009, 07:19 PM
around xmas here a lot of the local schools have a Ladies Night ( o no no no nothing rude just Ladies shopping) and there is one stall holder that i came up against last year called city jewels time and time again cheap cheap cheap

pauljoels
21-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Thank you Mizgeorge, Carole, Jason and Jo - some good food for thought. I wouldn't have thought about Mexico or other places as my knowledge of the industry doen't stretch as far as that.

I come from a world of pharma commerce - and deal with import/export, but it is regulated very well (annoyingly well in certain cases - strangely Russia is one of those places). In many countries, we have to submit evidence that the product works - clinically and in many instances it is up to the authorities to issue a type of registration - we can fail if we do not meet their standards, or can be classified in a lower category meaning we cannot make medical claims. I just find it difficult to believe that it is so easy to bring jewellery into this country - I realise those selling it on in this country probably do so knowing that their products are perhaps not what they purport to be, and there are those just exploiting cheaper prices.

To be honest - I personally plan to do neither importing, selling or buying, but (a) am a curious sort, and having being making silver/gold/platinum jewellery for nearly two years want to know more, and (b) to give my colleague advise since she does not know where to go to ask at all, and also does not want to advertise her products unfairly/illegally.

To me importing jewellery is part of a marketing/sales tactic, that if I was selling I would consider also doing (not claiming it to be mine though) and whilst I do not want to provoke a tidal wave of reaction against me due to my next comment, I also find it fascinating that so many of the creatives (I include jewellers in this) I have met find it so difficult to market themselves properly. Whilst not a business guru this does astonish me. I have met some of the most successful public artists and designers in this country due to my previous job, and at the same time I also met those in the middle, and those at the other end of the scale, trying simply to survive.

My boss and I (and his experience stretched to being European Marketing Director of a major Blue Chip Company), came to the conclusion there were those creatives who were commercially savvy - and did something special - they found a way of doing what they enjoyed and loved, and made it work commercially. They found their audience, they knew the price point they could get away with (too little, and you do yourself an injustice, and also rule out certain classes in this country - too much is only difficult if you cannot get the coverage you should in the right circles). They did however have to compromise their ideas. I know there are jewellery makers/artisans who are very successful and make a good living from this, but most that I have met do not, and they do not know how to. In that sense I kind of applaud anyone who can import their jewellery and turn it into a successful business.

Or more to the point, I would applaud anyone like Jason who in a previous thread thinks about having some of his own jewellery cast so he can make money to invest so that he can progress to his 18ct holy grail. If you know people will buy your stuff, why does it have to be one off? In my mind there is not a massive difference between Jason's idea of casting multiples of his own pieces to Tiffany, and to the Chinese manufacturer. Someone has designed each piece somewhere along the line.

I'll stop now, I have just realised how much I have waffled, and strayed from the original topic. Unfortunately it's a tendency of mine!

Emerald
21-09-2009, 08:37 PM
I find it extemely difficult to approach someone about my work as you have found and also that goes for a lot of people on this forum but on a one to one basis if i have a stall and i am meeting the cusomer face to face i can bore them to death beacause of my passion for my craft

pauljoels
21-09-2009, 08:52 PM
And I think that is a shame - the not being able to approach people about your work I mean, because that is how these things work. In my last job I was passionate about what my company did, and we could wax lyrical about key projects - but the job was not to go on so much they got bored, more to make them fall in love with the ideas of what we did that they had to consider what we did more seriously. They felt inspired to work with our craftsmen.

Emerald
21-09-2009, 09:00 PM
exactly, i use to wrok for Jaeger a long time ago part time and i could sell i £550.00 suit in the wink of an eye (oh and a short skirt, mens suits you see) but when it comes to my own stuff especially having to sell it over the telephone no no no no +o(

caroleallen
21-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I don't have any problems selling my own work on a level playing field but when I pay a lot of money to be at a craft fair that's advertised as "high end", I cannot compete with someone buying cheap stuff in from third world countries. I should add that my jewellery sells very well and I make my living from it.

I think you're bound to get a negative reaction to a question about buying in jewellery from a forum comprising of people who are passionate about making their own.

Di Sandland
21-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Carole, you're right but I have had this conversation so often with my OH, who doesn't have a creative bone in his body.

If you remember back along, somebody posted that in order to get stock ready in time for my craft fairs I should buy cheap stuff in and mark it as my own. I was horrified. My OH wasn't to keen on the fraudulent practice of marking it as my own but thought that importing the cheap stuff would make good business sense. Because he quite correctly surmised that I would make more money from reselling than from making and selling.

I suppose it all depends on your mindset and, as you say, to pose this question to a forum of creatives isn't likely to get a good response. Post it to a forum of people like my OH and they'd be swapping addresses of suppliers.

caroleallen
21-09-2009, 09:32 PM
I suppose it boils down to why we do this Di. Do we do it for the money or for the satisfaction of knowing that people value and appreciate our work. It gives me such a glow when people recognise my work and say they love it. I'd get no pleasure from selling other people's work.

Di Sandland
21-09-2009, 09:35 PM
QUOTE=caroleallen;13187]I suppose it boils down to why we do this Di. Do we do it for the money or for the satisfaction of knowing that people value and appreciate our work. It gives me such a glow when people recognise my work and say they love it. I'd get no pleasure from selling other people's work.[/QUOTE]

:yeah: xx

pauljoels
21-09-2009, 09:36 PM
You are right Di - my previous Boss and my current one have both been intrigued into the world of jewellery when I have introduced them to the mark-ups available, but that's thinking about it in a different way to most individual makers.

Carole, I wasn't having a go at you or anyone in particular, maybe my comments were too generalised about commercial savvyness, but I do think there is a problem. I did a design degree, but somehow through doing a placement year was exposed to everything my degree didn't expose me to - the real world of business, shafting and making money!

Re the importing, whilst I agree I can expect some negative reaction, I don't see why it should be a taboo, or hidden away and not spoken about. That just means people are blinkered to it.

Also, on the flip side to importing I think there are many people on here who should be exporting their jewellery - something I posted about a long time ago, when the forum was younger. And there are many avenues for support in this area. All the galleries we have over here are mirrored everywhere else in the world. One of the benefits of my job is that I try to make time to see jewellery in all the countries I visit with work. People seem to rely too much on the internet to do this job.

pauljoels
21-09-2009, 09:42 PM
I suppose it boils down to why we do this Di. Do we do it for the money or for the satisfaction of knowing that people value and appreciate our work. It gives me such a glow when people recognise my work and say they love it. I'd get no pleasure from selling other people's work.

I cannot agree with that more. The latter though is just business!

geti-titanium
21-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Personally, in my market, I like imports - I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole myself but I have customers who sell our products side by side with imported rings and the imports help ours to sell.

The majority of Titanium rings you find in the high street McJewellers are all the same - shop to shop, no variation. Luckily, I think people who buy our rings appreciate the quality, variety and uniqueness, to a degree, of our rings and are prepared to pay extra for something different that every other Tom, Dick or Harriet hasn't got.

We can't compete on price with imports, the majority of Far East manufacturers can't compete with us on quality and design variation.

On the other subject in this thread - selling.

I'm not a natural salesman by any means - approaching a shop over the phone still fills me with dread even after 10 years but I still keep trying. Most of the time talking to the right person is difficult and even when you do, they are usually too busy to talk to you and just want to get off the phone but, every now and then you hit the jackpot and end up having an interesting conversation and it gives you the chance to be noticed a little bit.

I think the best way of selling is not to try and sell - that way - no disappointment!

The internet has reinvented the way people sell now and a website is your greatest sales tool.

Emerald
21-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I do buy and sell imported findings i string the the beads and the charms myself and alot of time and effort goes into finding the right design but they are cheap and the bracelets and necklaces sell very well they dont even need me to sell them as such a lot of it is word of mouth and most of the money goes into buying sterling silver and uk lampwork and this is really where i want to be.

pauljoels
21-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm not a natural salesman by any means - approaching a shop over the phone still fills me with dread even after 10 years but I still keep trying. Most of the time talking to the right person is difficult and even when you do, they are usually too busy to talk to you and just want to get off the phone but, every now and then you hit the jackpot and end up having an interesting conversation and it gives you the chance to be noticed a little bit.

I think you are better at selling than you let on - Maybe it's just cos I been doing some catching up on this forum and come across many threads with your posts, but there are enough that advertise your products well enough - intentionally or not. I think it's a great thing - like you say - best at selling when you aren't trying to...

geti-titanium
21-09-2009, 09:55 PM
I think you are better at selling than you let on

Crikey! I've been rumbled - I'll get me coat! :)

Emerald
21-09-2009, 10:03 PM
big coat is it with inside pockets?

agent_44
22-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Coming in late to this thread, and I can understand both sides of the argument. I completely agree that there is a place for cheaper mass-produced stuff, and that the market for this would be seperate to the for hand made high quality items. I think the problem lies where the cheap stuff is being sold as something it's not and blurs the line (from the customer's viewpoint) between the two. Situations like Carole described where you are selling at a fair up against this kind of stuff is where it can seriously and unfairly, I think affect designer makers. To be fair, I think that organisers of events should be more strict in who/what they accept into their fairs but it happens all over the place. I am a Web Developer by day, and the company I work for amongst other things is an alternative clothing retailer. They work with some good designers who produce fabulous clothes, at the trade shows you always find a plethora of cheap clothes from Indian/Pakistani based companies who have ripped off the designs they found from the good designers at the trade show before.

As for creative types being unable to market, from my perspective (me included) people start doing something creative and realise their work is possibly worth selling. Then try and sell it, not necessarily with any thought given to or knowledge of marketing. The difference I suppose is those who put in the effort to fill that gap and of course those with a natural talent. I am in the trying to fill the gap category, slowly working out what the heck I am trying to do and how I am going to do it!

caroleallen
22-09-2009, 12:21 PM
It's true what you say Lucinda. A big chunk of my time is taken up with the marketing side. For instance, this morning, I spent ages making out an application to do a trade fair next year.

I've very little patience with people who turn up at a show with their stuff just laid out on a cloth and wonder why they can't sell. I change my stand design every year in the hopes of achieving the perfect stand - ie one that's easy to carry/erect and is also effective and eye-catching. I'm working on a new one at the moment - maybe this is it!!

bustagasket
22-09-2009, 12:27 PM
I made a point of looking at all the jewellery stands that seem to be appearing at the bike rally we went to last weekend, and there was just one that stood out with a beautifull carefully planned display and i was instantly drawn to it as were others. Then there were what i call the "tooty" stands (no disrespect to their owners) but i noticed that they didnt gain the attention that Liz's stand created, there were a couple that used black manequins on black cloth - completely losing them in the process, and another with no manequins and all jjust laid out on a purple crushed velvet throw that had seen better days.

I definately think the display is a vital selling point, and its draws people in if laid out attractively

agent_44
22-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I have to say I am of the opinion if you want to market your work as high end on the cheap, it's not going to happen. I'm fully of the opinion that it takes time AND money to create the right image.

I can identify with you about your display. Everytime I think I have got my photos/display/etc right, 5 minutes later I see a million flaws and want to change it all!

pauljoels
23-09-2009, 03:04 PM
When you guys apply for a fair or exhibition, do you ask them questions? Like who else is going to be selling?

I'd have thought it was your right to know who you are going to be selling with so you can judge the level of the event etc? I neve book an exhibition for my company without knowing things like that.

Incidentally has anyone ever attended or visited Lustre in Nottingham (6-8th November this year)? I went a couple of years ago because their Director was trying to get my then company to sponsor them - it certainly looked like a guaranteed higher end fair - I seem to remember being told they either let you apply or you are selected - or a mix of both - I cannot remember now.

Yeah, I have to say I am of the opinion if you want to market your work as high end on the cheap, it's not going to happen. I'm fully of the opinion that it takes time AND money to create the right image.

I can identify with you about your display. Everytime I think I have got my photos/display/etc right, 5 minutes later I see a million flaws and want to change it all!

I think you are all right re this - I have posted it elsewhere when the forum was smaller, but I think it's in the detail of the smallest things, right down to business cards - If you can afford to have them made on decent paper do! There's nothing worse than being handed/pickingup a cheap paper business card.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a good display for jewellery yet. Just an idea, but has anyone ever thought of using the Photobooks services like Yophoto to create a few small books of their best pieces from their range? It's what all the high end designer names do for their best bits - it lets people read and understand the designer and their designs. I think in Denmark they call them a Blue Book - A book of ideas, concepts, histories, real products all rolled together - you can perhaps sell them, or just utilise them as a sales tool at fairs? They could even be made in the fashion of Milomade's recycled books to be cheaper!

I know my OH's opinion when she sees a stall that clearly has handmade stuff on it is that it will be expensive, so ten feet before getting close she makes her mind up as to whether or not she will go and waste your (sellers) time by even looking - she feels guilty - and you've already lost the sale. I would have thought part of the challenge of designing the stall is to make it tactile, making people curious enough that it creates a desire in them to walk over to you. The rest is then up to you, your work and your pricing!

Kalorlo
23-09-2009, 03:29 PM
From the point of view of a buyer at a fair, I don't find little booklets or pamphlets of designs useful (unless they're from a specific designer that I already know about and know I'm interested in their work... in which case their website is more useful). I collected some at IJL, but I don't have time to look at them while I'm there and they end up in a heap when I get home. I'd much rather be able to look at the jewellery in person - it can be hard to judge scale from close-up photos, too! And those kinds of glossy booklets rarely seem to list prices...

Heh - I can't say I'm scared to approach a stall I don't intend to buy from. I'm there to look as much as anything else :)

pauljoels
23-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough - the Blue Book idea is as well as having jewellery on your stall - it certainly doesn't replace it all! That would be daft. They are not to be taken away from the stall since that would cost the seller a small fortune - but it's another way to show your professionalism, and more about you that you may not be able to/forget to express about yourself - and you also have to remember that not all customers want to talk either - some of them find as hard to approach you as you do to sell to them. It's also certainly not about showing prices - this kind of thing is about inspiring your customers - it's used widely in many other creative areas of business...

My OH though, is one of your potential cusomters who has the money, has the taste for hand-made, and high quality items, but many stalls/their owners put her off because of the look and feel of them (and equally important is the look/feel/attitude of the seller). Twas just a point to be considered for those who are designing their stalls, since the conversation has turned that way.

Kalorlo
23-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Ah, when you said "you can perhaps sell them, or just utilise them as a sales tool at fairs?" it sounded like utilising was letting people take them away.

For me, I'd still be unlikely to look at them if there's jewellery there in person to see. Obviously other people may differ :)

pauljoels
23-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Perfectly good interpretation of what my original posting said - stupid me rushing whilst typing this whilst researching India for work.

Only you guysknow the types of people that will visit your stalls - you must be able to segregate them somewhat and know the types of shops they will go in - find out these things, visit the shops and not just the stalls - you can copy (and make better), versions of these.

Di Sandland
23-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Paul, I quite like the blue book idea. Most of my stuff is based on local features - the sunset at Saunton Sands, for instance, which is just stunning. The piece below is my representation of sunset at Westward Ho! - which, apart being the only place to have an exclamation mark in its name, is also renowned for its rocks (they have a potwalloping once a year to put all the rocks back where they should be!).

On a website it is easier to get that across than at a fair - for me, designing a piece (one of the higher end ones) is about communicating how I see the world and I've been puzzling how to get those ideas across to the buyer.

Boo
23-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I have a portfolio of photographs of finished pieces for people to peruse and to show specific features if someone is interested in a commission etc.

I'm not grasping why you wife makes a decision 10 feet from a stall whether to look or not - what exactly would make her decide to walk by? If the stall was too classy and made her think she couldn't afford pieces - or if it looked too hand made it would be beneath her?

I would like to give the air of classy pieces and want people to be pleasantly surprised by the prices once they get closer. I doubt very much that I've nailed it yet.

caroleallen
23-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Having such a book is something I've been intending to do for a while. The main reason is that I have such a huge range of stuff that I can't put it all out. I thought it would be a good idea if someone asked for something that I don't have with me.

I think I'll start a new thread about stand design as it's something I'm very interested in.

Di Sandland
23-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Having such a book is something I've been intending to do for a while. The main reason is that I have such a huge range of stuff that I can't put it all out. I thought it would be a good idea if someone asked for something that I don't have with me.

I think I'll start a new thread about stand design as it's something I'm very interested in.

I for one would love to see that thread Carole ;)

Jayne
23-09-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure I've ever seen a good display for jewellery yet. Just an idea, but has anyone ever thought of using the Photobooks services like Yophoto to create a few small books of their best pieces from their range?
They could even be made in the fashion of Milomade's recycled books to be cheaper![QUOTE]

I think it's a really interesting idea - I'm in the process of looking at marketing materials and packaging right now - I'd really like to do something a bit different. It reminds me of a book that an artist friend of mine made out of a sheet of A4 a few years ago. It turned out looking really cute and would only involve printing 1 piece of A4 - I must ring her!!
Thanks for reminding me
J x

pauljoels
23-09-2009, 05:50 PM
I cannot answer that fully - please don't expect me to fully understand my wife! I'm guessing it's a mixture of those things?!? Although she knows that she probably only has to say I like that...and either my wallet comes out or I take some info and a business card!

I'm glad the book idea is being understood - Di - you have the absolutely perfect idea for one there - if you find the right photobook company you can get exactly what you want. In my last company (sorry I know I have said that a lot here), we made one that was used as a presenter to the company. Worked a treat.

If there's two things I've learnt in business they are perception and story telling. The book done right, can do both for an individual piece, or as a collection of your works - particularly for things like commissions. And they always look neater than postcards etc on your stall.

Di Sandland
23-09-2009, 05:55 PM
perception and story tellingThis (http://www.mooncottagejewellery.co.uk/necklaces.html) is exactly what I am trying to do. (scroll down to A Tiny Patch of Blue and Silver Lining)

pauljoels
23-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Looks like you are doing it, but could you develop microsites for each piece? Even a one page microsite for each would be brilliant - that way your customer does not get distracted?

Also, I'm not suggesting this is a fantastic idea, but I do like your stories with these pieces and I think you might be able to make your offering to your customers that bit more special - by giving them the story (please tell me to stop if you are already doing this in some way!), I wonder if you can create a very small booklet (cheap in cost, but quality, and taking into account your time) to go with the necklace - obviously this would push up the cost of the item, but the customer would be getting more about it. When men buy a nice watch - half of what they buy into is a story, the packaging, a nice booklet with a history of the company or the watch. Men definitely go in for this stuff, but I do not know about women. I just think if I were to buy one of those pieces from you for my OH, I would want to take the story home with me to share with her.

Di Sandland
23-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks for that - I'm not doing it but have been thinking about managing it somehow and you've given me food for thought.

:ta: