PDA

View Full Version : Rolled Gold Jump Rings - heavy gauge

impressions
15-05-2018, 06:13 AM
Hi All.
I'm RUBBISH at making jump rings but need:

1.5mm (ish) 14/16Gauge gold filled 8mm jump rings! Can anybody point me in the direction of a supplier?

I am currently making my own jump rings, but whilst I am slowly getting there, I am dreadful at getting them good enough to solder closed, perfectly round & regular sizes! Am still practicing, but buying ready made would be MUCH easier!!

Really grateful for your help - even if somebody can make me some?!!

mizgeorge
15-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Look for gold filled rather than rolled gold (which is rarely used as a description now). BUT, and it's a big but, you won't be able to solder them as the gold layer will simply burn away, leaving you with a nicely soldered brass ring.

impressions
15-05-2018, 09:41 AM
Thank you - I actually meant gold filled :D Is gold filled not possible to solder at all? I 'thought' I had managed it with some I have managed to make, they still looked the same colour as the gold filled wire ..... However, if the gold was burnt away, I'll just close and not solder!

Dennis
15-05-2018, 10:26 AM
When newly polished, gold and brass are very close in colour, you will know the truth of it by rapid tarnishing, within a few days. Do the experiment and find out.
The mystery to me is where does the gold go? I doubt that it vaporises. More likely it burrows into the core to form a new alloy. Dennis.

enigma
15-05-2018, 11:02 AM
I find these great for making jump rings
http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Multi-Sized-Looping-Pliers-prcode-999-CB12

Snorkmaiden
15-05-2018, 11:08 AM
The Curious Gem does 8mm gold-filled jump rings in 16 gauge.