PDA

View Full Version : Copper the correct material for this bracelet?

Arif102
08-05-2018, 01:32 PM
Hi all,

I've been experimenting/practicing making a one piece brace out of copper wire similar to the pic. I've used 12 gauge and 10 gauge wire for this as well as work hardened some bracelets by creating dimples or like effects. The problem seems to be that the bracelet doesn't hold it's shape when being put on or taken off. Is copper just too soft a material for this type of bracelet, am I better off using sterling silver that may be able to spring back to form? Or is there a way to have copper hold its shape better? Thanks

enigma
08-05-2018, 02:31 PM
I can't say whether your problem is the copper as I haven't made anything similar in copper but I do make a similar one in sterling silver which works and thats using 6mm wide by 2mm thick silver:
http://sarahfoxfineart.co.uk/a1-gallery3.asp?roomID=7495&pictureID=79085

Arif102
08-05-2018, 05:49 PM
Wow Sarah, your jewelry is stunning. Thanks for replying and sharing. Is your bracelet made from 1 piece of sterling or did you have to solder the "C" shape...hope you don't mind me asking.

Dennis
08-05-2018, 07:27 PM
Obviously the thicker your material, the stiffer it can become. Fist of all it is best to complete all soldering before bending it to shape.
Then you can open and close the shape repeatedly until hard enough. Dennis.

enigma
08-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Thanks Arif

The horseshoe shape is soldered on, you could potentially cut it out of one piece but it would be expensive in sterling.
The loop that hooks over is the same piece as the band, just folded over and soldered.

Arif102
09-05-2018, 04:39 PM
Obviously the thicker your material, the stiffer it can become. Fist of all it is best to complete all soldering before bending it to shape.
Then you can open and close the shape repeatedly until hard enough. Dennis.

Thanks for your time Dennis. Agree with the material thickness. I did a Google search for copper bracelets and noticed that almost all that were for sale were of the cuff variety. I'm thinking that copper just may not be the best material for my design. I'll experiment/practice a little longer before moving on the sterling.