PDA

View Full Version : photographing work

NickD
05-04-2018, 06:31 AM
When someone at work asked me about my jewellery the other day, I looked on the shelf where I've been throwing it for years and decided I really should put it online. I started taking shots with my ipod and if the light's good the images are ok. However, as I'm sure the more technically inclined will know, it's not the best way to present items.In fact, now I've started I really need to do it all again.
Can anyone recommend an economical way to do this. I look on Etsy and to my eyes, the shots all look professional but I'm sure that isn't necessarily so.
I can use a camera but am looking for the most basic "dummy proof" method.
Thanks

NickD
05-04-2018, 08:28 AM
Whoops!
I meant to put this in New Posts
Could sone help?
Sorry about that.
Nick

ps_bond
05-04-2018, 08:52 AM
Moved to Ask the Experts...

Dennis
05-04-2018, 11:14 AM
The best way to have consistent lighting at modest expense is to get a light cube on line. You should find one for less than£20 and a 40cm one is about right.

Then you will need three cheap table lamps with adjustable necks. One on each side and one above.

Lastly three domestic LED daylight bulbs (3500k or higher) 18w each. If you shop around, you should spend less than £100 in total. The caps (screw or Bayonet) should be compatible with the lamps.

Alternatively you can buy light studios complete, for mobile phones, but they tend to be rather small for things like a necklace on a stand. Dennis

NickD
05-04-2018, 01:11 PM
The best way to have consistent lighting at modest expense is to get a light cube on line. You should find one for less than£20 and a 40cm one is about right.

Then you will need three cheap table lamps with adjustable necks. One on each side and one above.

Lastly three domestic LED daylight bulbs (3500k or higher) 18w each. If you shop around, you should spend less than £100 in total. The caps (screw or Bayonet) should be compatible with the lamps.

Alternatively you can buy light studios complete, for mobile phones, but they tend to be rather small for things like a necklace on a stand. Dennis

Wow, that's a revelation Dennis.
Thanks. There are a multitude on Etsy and some with integral LED.
Would you still recommend one needing one's own individual lights? This one for example?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Photo-Studio-Lighting-Cube-Tent-Kit-40CM-Soft-Light-Box-4-Backgrounds/152770881621?hash=item2391daa855:g:~aMAAOSwi8xZ-0Wh

Dennis
05-04-2018, 06:53 PM
Yes, that one would do, but the accessories are not included of course. Ultimately what you buy will be to suit your budget and the prospect of buying a camera and tripod eventually. Dennis.

NickD
05-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Much appreciated Dennis as always.
Don't you ever go home?

Dennis
05-04-2018, 09:17 PM
Well I am at home actually, which is why I can never let it be. Dennis.

Sheen
06-04-2018, 07:09 AM
Well I am at home actually, which is why I can never let it be. Dennis.

I have the same problem:)

china
06-04-2018, 09:16 AM
They are not difficult to construct, a wire or timber frame with screen print fabric as a cover.

NickD
06-04-2018, 10:38 AM
They are not difficult to construct, a wire or timber frame with screen print fabric as a cover.

Well... between you and me China...