PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Polishers and Pendant Motors

TDA20
02-04-2018, 08:13 AM
Happy Easter Monday :)

I’m new to jewellery making but having read the forums it seems that it is best to invest in the best quality equipment you can so my first big purchase is going to be a Foredom SR pendant motor that I plan to order later this week. The general advice seems to be to skip the Dremmel step if possible...

My question is, should I get the Cookson Gold Pro barrel polisher while it is on offer or wait and see if I actually need one later? (I don’t think as a beginner I can justify a Lortone 3A...). Can I achieve the same finish as a barrel polisher on intricate surfaces with the Foredom? As a hobbyist I am not pressured by deadlines or high volumes.

In terms of what I am planning to make, I am doing rings and pendants so far, some with elements sweat soldered on +/- texturing. I am planning to try a simple bracelets next (to practice my jump rings)and have read they might be tricky to finish with a pendant motor if you are a beginner? Mainly working with copper and sterling silver.

Any advice welcome,

Tess

TDA20
02-04-2018, 08:22 AM
Just had a thought, should I have put this in the question time section?

Dennis
02-04-2018, 09:10 AM
It doesn't really matter where you post the question, as long as it doesn't hijack someone else's thread. Just going out, so will answer later. Dennis.

enigma
02-04-2018, 10:57 AM
I would wait and see if you need one, I bought mine 3 years ago and haven't used it yet...... but others use them all the time.

Dennis
02-04-2018, 11:25 AM
Ah sorry about the interruption. Barrel polishers have mixed benefits, so leaving out the use with abrasive media, which I haven't used and concentrating on mixed shot:

They are brilliant at flat textured surfaces and for the insides of hollows too awkward for rotary tools. For hollows where the shot fits well, such as collets and tubes, you might end up with a lot of stuck shot to poke out.

Plain flat surfaces (but not round wires) tend to show the impact of needles in the form of multiple pin pricks. Raised surfaces end up with an unpolished margin, like a dull halo, where the shot could not get in.

So you will see that not all work will benefit. It is a much perpetuated myth that you can harden things in a tumbler.

The one you mention from Cookson, is very similar to the Lortone, brand leader, but cheaper. Dennis.

TDA20
02-04-2018, 11:56 AM
Thank you Sarah and Dennis. Think I’ll wait and see then. Will have plenty to get on with learning how to use the pendant motor!

misspond
02-04-2018, 12:10 PM
I picked up a National Geographic kids tumbler (it's like a big round ball shaped thing on a base and the tumbling barrel is inside). If you're canny you can pick them up on eBay for £15 (maybe a friend has one they'd be happy to pass on?) To be honest it won't take large round bangles but I have fitted an oval bangle in there. It's perfect for rings, pendants and earrings.

I use mixed round shot, 3mm along with 250g of 2mm (that also includes 1mm). So your biggest investment trying it this way is your shot that could be used in whatever tumbler you settle on. I do find even 10-15 minutes in the tumbler polishes things up beautifully.

TDA20
02-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out on eBay :)