PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: Pins for honeycomb boards

TDA20
31-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Hi, I am new to the forum and completely new to jewellery making. Was totally hooked after a one day ring making workshop in February and am now doing an evening class.

Had inadvertently posted this question in the wrong section of the forum so have reposted it here in the hope someone might be able to help.

Like many beginners, I have been trying to practice making copper rings at home. Still struggling to get the join just right and not over / under do the amount of solder. After re-sawing the join and much fiddling with pliers the join appears ok but seems to open up or distort when heated. I then file it too much and end up with a thin section on the ring :(

I thought I could try a honeycomb board with pins to help stop things moving. Other than size, is there any difference between the ceramic and metal pins and if so would one be better suited for this task?

Any other advice for a total newbie also very welcome!

Thanks, Tess

Dennis
31-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Hi, well to start I'm not great fan of honeycomb boards, firstly because they quickly break up when heated asnd then because small pallions of solder when they fall off, get lost down the holes.
If you want to use pins you are better off using a soft board, such as vermiculite and ordinary stationery pins, forced in with pliers.

However none of that is relevant to rings. The seams of rings to solder successfully need to stay closed when heated. this is helped by annealing after bending so that it does not spring open, and then heating for soldering at some point remote from the join, only approaching the join when the ring is quite hot.

An added precaution is to keedp it from opening using binding wire, but for most rings that isn't really needed.

Your worry about excess solder is exacerbated, if you dont use matching solder, but on the whole a little excess is preferable and can be filed off when all soldering has been completed. Filing and heating again will cause a crevice to appear.

Lastly you might like to look at Andrew Berry on rings:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaU5acww9gc Dennis.

CJ57
31-03-2018, 04:40 PM
I would agree with all Dennis said. The honeycomb boards are in bits all over my hearth and there comes a time when there isn't a bit left that's big enough to use. I use little panel pins which are good and sturdy.
I was about to suggest Andrew Berry's video as I've recently followed his suggestion to sit the ring on top of the solder and I find that works much better. I'm still a lover of binding wire to keep things from springing but that's a matter of choice and not always necessary for a ring. It depends how thick your metal is too I find.

Welcome to the forum Tess

TDA20
31-03-2018, 05:52 PM
Dennis and Caroline,

Thank you so much for your tips and the warm welcome. Andrew Berry’s videos are amazing! Very useful to know it is better to use a little too much than too little solder. Will keep practicing over the weekend and let you know how I get on.

T

JewelleryByMandy
01-04-2018, 02:08 AM
Hi Tess. Im practicing still and went through 4 pieces of silver yesterday trying to make a spinner ring as it kept melting! I got there but this happens alot to me. I was heating the ring up too much where as i shoulda just gone to either side of the join gently. I also find Soham Harrison quite good to watch on YouTube. My opinion though. Hes nice to listen to and doesnt waffle. Keep at it x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheen
01-04-2018, 06:59 AM
Hi Tess. Im practicing still and went through 4 pieces of silver yesterday trying to make a spinner ring as it kept melting! I got there but this happens alot to me. I was heating the ring up too much where as i shoulda just gone to either side of the join gently. I also find Soham Harrison quite good to watch on YouTube. My opinion though. Hes nice to listen to and doesnt waffle. Keep at it x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the the soham harrison videos too, no waffle, and he'll often be making the item from start to finish rather than just demonstrating a technique which helps a beginner with the little tricks of the trade.

china
01-04-2018, 07:30 AM
Soham has some interesting video just does not like criticism I made that mistake,
now he will not even answer my emails. (This my opinion only and not the opinion of this forum)

Sheen
01-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Soham has some interesting video just does not like criticism I made that mistake,
now he will not even answer my emails. (This my opinion only and not the opinion of this forum)

That's a shame. I find constructive critique always useful

enigma
01-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Some of Sohams work is a bit rough tbh, Andrew Berrys videos are far better ( IMO)

china
01-04-2018, 01:26 PM
enigma, I agree 100%

Dennis
01-04-2018, 09:29 PM

Sorry you are just working to fund your scrap dealers lifestyle, Mandy. Three things will improve your lot:

1. Work in a darkened area so that you can spot early that you are overheating your piece.
2. Keep the flame in constant motion until the solder melts. Then withdraw quickly.
3. Increase the distance between torch and workpiece. Dennis.

TDA20
02-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Thanks everyone for some really useful tips, think the ring soldering is getting better! Plenty more practice needed.

With regard to videos, have also been enjoying Nancy Hamilton’s rather unique style.