PDA

View Full Version : traditional drills

eekoh
28-03-2018, 03:21 PM
Hi Folks,
Just wondering if anybody here still uses the old fashioned archimedes or bow drills, or if its all gone electric these days. Are electric gadgets much better / faster / more precise or is there still value in using one of these lovely looking vintage tools (beyond the obvious nostalgia).
Thanks.

Dennis
28-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Archimedes drills are fine. They are always ready to use and don't waste fossil fuel.

Of course, because they rotate back and forth, they are meant to be used with arrow shaped drills, which are sharpened to cut both ways.

Twist drills have a different configuration and get blunt more quickly if reversed (as do files, by the way).

All in all once you have an electric motor to hand, it is easier to reach for twist drills and consign the Flintstone machine to your antiques collection.

That said, small twist drills become fatigued in use and eventually snap off.
Looking around the college workshop I attend part time, they are used equally, but no one has heard of the arrow shaped drills. Dennis.

handmadeblanks
30-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Hi Folks,
Just wondering if anybody here still uses the old fashioned archimedes or bow drills, or if its all gone electric these days. Are electric gadgets much better / faster / more precise or is there still value in using one of these lovely looking vintage tools (beyond the obvious nostalgia).
Thanks.

I'll send you my handwritten answer on a postcard. What's your address?

Sheen
30-03-2018, 02:48 PM
Hi Folks,
Thanks.

I use an archimedes drill for super tiny holes as the drill bit would snap on an electric motor.

china
30-03-2018, 03:08 PM
I have a Archimedes drill but to be honest I never use it my drill press or Fordom pendant is what I use I have used drills down to .3 mm in the Fordom

CJ57
30-03-2018, 03:36 PM
I used an Archimedes for many years but the small metal not the wood and string original, they were good for very fine drills but I got myself a wee proxxon bench drill and it's fantastic. I would still use my Archimedes for very fine ones drill so it's not a throw away but not energy(mine)cost or time efficient if you're doing a lot of drilling. If you have nothing else to compare it to in the workshop then it will do the job, when you upgrade to power you wonder how you ever managed

CJ57
30-03-2018, 03:39 PM
I use an archimedes drill for super tiny holes as the drill bit would snap on an electric motor.

You'll probably find if it's a rigid bench drill with care they won't snap, when there movement with a pendant drill I think it's more likely. Won't be throwing mine away as it'll have its use.

misspond
30-03-2018, 04:04 PM
I've got powered tools but for the occasional bit of initial drilling and then ball burring (for flush setting) I love using my old school hand drill.

china
30-03-2018, 04:35 PM
misspond, I have one of that type it belonged to my grandfather (Cabinet maker) it is well over 100 years old

CJ57
30-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Me too it belonged to my Dad, I have one of my grandfathers but it is similar to this

11079 Not much good for jewellery but I love having them

ps_bond
30-03-2018, 06:05 PM
I use my micromotor with 3/32 shank drill bits (down to 0.5mm - rarely snap them and no need to go any finer as yet) most of the time, but I still use my bow drill too. Not with twist drills, but with handmade drill bits from old needles. If I get the time I'll bung up a sketch of them, but essentially they're a D bit reamer with 2 facets ground on the rounded side to bring them to a point. Cuts through non-ferrous quite effectively.

Equally, I make small carbide twist drills from knackered carbide burrs...

china
31-03-2018, 03:41 AM
Caroline, Brace & bit yep I have one of those too, I often still use with some timber projects

china
31-03-2018, 03:51 AM
Peter, back in my days as a Cabinet Maker, on many occasions use to install cabinets on site and in a pinch would make a drill as you describe from the relevant size nail.
They used to make a similar item to fit the Yankee screw drivers for starting screws ( before the days of cordless drills)

Paul Kay
31-03-2018, 01:47 PM
... handmade drill bits from old needles. ... essentially they're a D bit reamer with 2 facets ground on the rounded side to bring them to a point. Cuts through non-ferrous quite effectively.

That sounds exactly how my father (a Silversmith) taught me to make my own drill bits when I kept snapping his! I still make them, on occasion, when needed, 50+ years later. Great for softer metals/alloys of all sorts, and I often just use them in a hand/pin vice.

eekoh
04-04-2018, 01:19 PM
I see I'm not the only one here that likes old tools :)

Since we've got a dremel at home already I'll see how I get on with that for now, though it probably needs a pillar stand. I've ordered a couple of shank drill bits so hopefully I won't snap them straight away!

Dennis
04-04-2018, 06:30 PM
Hazel, unless you have speed reduction, your Dremel will be much too fast for twist drills, so they will blunten or break. Buying a stand for it will just throw good money after bad.
Save up for something better. Dennis.