PDA

View Full Version : Setting Question

LeighnaKing
24-03-2018, 06:48 PM
Hi everyone

So I've been making jewellery for over a year now (a lot of lost wax casting) and i've been playing with stone setting for a few months - I've mastered standard bezels, gypsy/flush settings and prong ...

I spotted the attached image on Pinterest and I can't get it out of my mind. I absolutely LOVE how the stones are set but i can't for the life of me work out how it's done. I assume it's a sort of bezel/gypsy .. with the edge of the setting hammered down to tension set the stone? Am I talking rubbish here? Anyone able to shed some light on this wizardry? I want to create myself a new engagement ring (I lost the stone in the one my hubby proposed with ;() and whilst I don't plan on copying the style below (not about to rip this artist off - also, anyone know who said artist is??) I would love to try a similar way of setting my stone.

Thanks all!

Leighna

enigma
24-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Its just a normal bezel setting with a wider than normal bezel pushed over roughly in a different coloured metal from what I can see ?

LeighnaKing
24-03-2018, 08:36 PM
Thinking I may need to invest in a Foredom hammer handpiece in that case .. not sure I’d have the skill to set such a heavy heel with punch and hammer by hand ��

enigma
24-03-2018, 11:24 PM
If you do the bezel in 0.4mm fine silver you would be fine, it doesn't look particularly thick, just left higher than normal before being pushed over, you wouldn't need a hammer just a bezel pusher.
Be careful when you do push it over to do it gently and evenly as a bezel that starts out high will push over too easily and catch you out.
BTW you can put the ridges in with a file afterwards, just make sure you don't go too deep for the metal you use.
This is a bezel I made with ridges , it only takes a few minutes to do:

LeighnaKing
25-03-2018, 05:16 PM
That’s great! Thank you for your help �� and that ring looks beautiful! Will definitely give this a go x