PDA

View Full Version : Durston Metal Bending Set

Susie
24-03-2018, 06:01 PM

Does anyone have one these tools that can advise if it bends 5mm round silver wire?
I'm having a nightmare trying to bend this with the ring bending pliers, so need something more substantial.
I know this machine has been discussed on here before, but i can not find it, so I would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

Sue

Susie
24-03-2018, 06:01 PM
Oh, and I want to bend it into a ring for the finger.

Thanks

enigma
24-03-2018, 07:34 PM
5mm round wire is extremely thick for a ring, are you sure you want to use wire that thick?
Its going to feel rather uncomfortable to wear.

Susie
24-03-2018, 08:09 PM
Hi Enigma. That's exactly what I said to the lady, but she assured me that this is to replace a 5mm ring that she lost, so I'm assuming she's right...

Dennis
24-03-2018, 10:47 PM
Making a finger ring, which might be 17-20 mm in internal diameter, becomes progressively more difficult as you increase the thickness of the material. What you propose is close to the limit of what is possible by bending.

So first I would make a shank in 5.0mm copper wire for her to try, because she has more than likely got it wrong and you will suffer for it. Annealed copper is very soft, so you won't have so much of a problem, even though you might have to anneal it several times.

Next although the Durston might do the job, again with lots of annealing, it is an expensive option and over the top for most rings.

If the size is confirmed as correct, you could consider making it in wax and having it cast. Dennis.

enigma
24-03-2018, 11:18 PM
Are you sure she means 5mm round?
5mm D shape would be more usual , I wonder if she's confused?

Susie
24-03-2018, 11:22 PM
Are you sure she means 5mm round?
5mm D shape would be more usual , I wonder if she's confused?

Hi both. I知 definitely going to make a copper one first. I have some in that thickness, so I値l send that to her to try on.
I once had someone who tried to convince me to make a 6mm round ring and it turned out to be 6x2 d shape wire.
Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

enigma
24-03-2018, 11:31 PM
You're welcome, customers can be strange creatures at times lol

ShinyLauren
26-03-2018, 06:23 PM
I have one of the Durston ring benders (although it has a different base to your picture). The thickest round wire I've bent on it is 3.5mm - I think 5mm would be a real struggle. As everyone has said, 5mm would also be really uncomfortable to wear! I would carve one out of wax and send it to your customer to try.

Susie
27-03-2018, 08:22 PM
I have one of the Durston ring benders (although it has a different base to your picture). The thickest round wire I've bent on it is 3.5mm - I think 5mm would be a real struggle. As everyone has said, 5mm would also be really uncomfortable to wear! I would carve one out of wax and send it to your customer to try.

Thanks for the reply Lauren. I just think I知 not going to go thicker than 4mm. Do you think the Durston tool has been worth the money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

china
28-03-2018, 02:42 AM
If you have a set of dapping/doming punches you can bend heavy stock around them by clamping in a vice and bending with a hammer

ShinyLauren
28-03-2018, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the reply Lauren. I just think I知 not going to go thicker than 4mm. Do you think the Durston tool has been worth the money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, yes absolutely! I can do rings so much quicker and with much thicker wire than I could bend them by hand.

Dennis
28-03-2018, 09:05 AM
It's a deluxe item and most of us would like one, but if you don't sell your work or you are on a budget, then one of these with a strip of leather will do it for less.

Shop around and there are bargains to be had from India, for instance from Tools n Tools.

enigma
28-03-2018, 01:27 PM
I find the Durston ring stretcher/reducer more useful, it does have a ring bending aspect to it but tbh I don't bother with that as its pretty quick to do on the mandrel for up to 3mm thick and I wouldn't want to make a ring thicker than that.
I do use the stretcher a lot though as it makes sizing much easier and also is great for bending the ring to round after its been soldered.
Don't forget that you don't want the ring round for soldering anyway so what you actually need is something to help male it round after soldering.

Dennis
28-03-2018, 01:43 PM
I agree really Sarah, so I am surprised at how much importance Andrew Berry attaches to having the ring round at the start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaU5acww9gc

I have never had a ring shank open in use and some of my rings are more than twenty years old and of course stretched to size.

Hope the weather in Portugal is more seasonal. It's foul here and snow predicted again. Dennis.

enigma
28-03-2018, 03:03 PM
Thats interesting thanks Dennis.
I haven't had it either and use pretty thick bands but interesting to see the video.

Weather here is lovely, we had the first sunbathing by the pool day yesterday and the same today but we did have an unusually stormy March!

Susie
28-03-2018, 08:32 PM
Funnily enough Dennis, that was the exact video that made me think i was putting too much undue strain on the ring, by rounding it after it had been soldered. Well i have my answer then, I値l keep using the ring bending pliers and for thicker wire, I値l round it up afterwards.
I am going to buy a ring stretcher/reducer though. I知 guessing it痴 got to be a Durston then?

Susie
28-03-2018, 08:37 PM
I致e just seen one on Cookies that is a third of the price of the Durston one, so think I値l go with that one and will post my results. Thanks all for the information. As always, this forum puts me right [emoji16]

Dennis
28-03-2018, 09:12 PM
If you shop around, there are some bargains to be had Susie and you will be able to stretch to size instead of bothering with a formula.

Here are some general precautions:
1. Stretch slowly, because it can happen quite suddenly that you have overstepped your mark.
2. Keep turning the ring round and round and also flip it over to avoid a faceted or conical shape.
3. Check with your ring stick, because the marks on the stretcher are often different.
4. Re-anneal after two sizes to avoid stressing your solder joint.

Hope you enjoy using it. Dennis.

Susie
28-03-2018, 09:16 PM
Thanks Dennis. Will keep all of that in mind.

enigma
28-03-2018, 09:45 PM
I tend to make mine round on the mandrel then flatten the top out so the top edges cross over to make the cut.
Having seen the video though I think I will try doing it like that as it looks easier.

Susie
14-04-2018, 05:10 PM
Just an update to this initial question. I bought the Cookson Gold Ring stretcher reducer pro and it痴 fantastic. Cheaper than the Durston one and it has certainly made my life a lot easier when making lots of rings, so thanks for all the advice. [emoji846]

enigma
14-04-2018, 06:14 PM
Great piece of kit, glad you find it helpful .

CJ57
14-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Anything is less expensive than a Durston and I can say from experience that it will be less likely to have something wrong than any Durston product:/

Dennis
14-04-2018, 09:34 PM
The reducer aspect has valuable properties too:
Not only will it reduce the size of plain rings very quickly, but if you remove the heavy disk and pivot and replace then with a steel block, you have a handy mini arbour press for use with dies, or for flattening things. Dennis.

Susie
14-04-2018, 10:06 PM
Hi Dennis. YES! I realised that this afternoon, so will give that a go too.
I'm so happy with my new bit of kit!!!

Sheen
15-04-2018, 07:43 AM
Susie you,re making me want to buy one :dance:

Susie
15-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Susie you,re making me want to buy one :dance:

DO IT!