PDA

View Full Version : Today was supposed to be a day off grrrr

Petal
20-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Morning all, :~:

I don't know about you guys, but we planned a day off from chores and its turned into a nightmare :'(

We had planned a 'relaxing day' of maybe a visit to a garden and a bit of pottering in our flower garden, rather than attacking our enormous list of tasks, but things have not gone quite to plan.

Woke up this morning... electricity not on upstairs ! (that should have been a warning to us, if the day starts with something going wrong before you have even got out of bed, then you just know its not going to get better!).

Then I do an order for some goodies, using paypal for the first time and put in my 'work' email address..... I await my confirmation email and nothing happens... I send a test email and it says 'failed' - address doesn't exist! There's another problem, because that is the same email I have recently put onto all my business cards - that makes me even more :(|... Then the water pressure is non existent, so the bath we have run is now boiling hot with no way of putting the cold in, as it has turned into a dribble

grrrrrrrrrrr

I think its time for another cup of tea and a go on the exercise bike to get rid of my frustration and back to sort out the email problem!

Why are some days like this, is it a lunar thing??? Actually, I'm sure the moon's cycles do affect the way people drive and behave generally - don't you?

thats it, rant over.

love
Jules x

agent_44
20-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Jules, how awfull! Sorry you are having a crappy day, hope you get it all sorted out!

I suggest you go back to bed and stay there to avoid any more problems and have a nice relaxing day! :D ;)

Di Sandland
20-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Why are some days like this, is it a lunar thing??? Actually, I'm sure the moon's cycles do affect the way people drive and behave generally - don't you?

At the risk of sounding completely batty - we are just coming out of a new moon (that is the moon has been 'dark' for 3 days). This new moon has been particularly 'energetic.' So, yes, it can affect things.

However, until 29th September, Mercury is retrograde. This means that it appears to move backwards in the sky. Mercury retrograde is always associated with communication problems (Mercury is said to rule communications). Your email problem is very typical of this.

The hot water I would just put down to life being a pig sometimes ;)

Solunar Silver Studio
20-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Sounds like Di is well up on all things moon!! I am a bit of a sceptic about all such things...but I was trained with a scientific background so tend to look at all things very analytically and logically. It was through reading about ancient chemical experiments that I was inspired to go for the name Solunar as it was the alchemists who referred to gold as 'sol' and silver as 'luna' in their experiments and used a sun and moon symbol to represent these in their writings. When I was checking up that my 'name' was unused and therefore available for me to trade under I came across all sorts of mentions of solunar silver being the best quality of colloidal silver (used in medicines and other applications)....and this was made at a very specific time in the cycle of the moon!! Also hunters, fishermen and farmers refer to solunar calendars for the best times to hunt, fish, plant and sow. I am still very sceptical...but I have found that a lot of 'good' and creative stuff seems to happen to me around the full moon...so you never know!!! Perhaps the fact I have a bookmark to an online lunar calendar is very telling!!!:D

Hoooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwl !!

Di Sandland
20-09-2009, 10:30 AM
PMSL - its gonna tell me not enough characters now

Petal
20-09-2009, 10:57 AM
UUm, yes, I'd heard of farmers sewing seed to do with lunar cycles, called biodynamic farming and harvesting and it seems pretty good to me. Having said that, we live within the boundary of a farm and I'm glad our local farmer doesn't use those, its bad enough when he does his harvesting at midnight with his lights on ... if he was to start sewing seed & harvesting at 3am, I think I'd be even more tired than I already am!

How about a Di's stars for the day then???

no maybe not, you already have enough to do, don't you - and for that matter, so do we all!

Jules x

Emerald
20-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Ive been ranting all morning thank goodness i can blame it on the moon lol well at least you can get on the forum Jules and have a good moan hope your day gets better, dont know about where you are but it is a beautiful day here x

Petal
20-09-2009, 11:38 AM
:)Its a beautiful, sunny warm day... I've just got my washing on the line, the birds are singing, the chickens next door are a clucking and its lovely! ahhhhh

Jx

Boo
20-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Ah, so the moon's to blame.

I've had a similar morning. Started with the lighting fuse blowing, so my husband suggests I put my computers off before he starts tinkering with fuses. The lights are back on and I reboot the computer, but it absolutely will not see the network or router. Can't get on-line or see other computers on the network.

Three hours of tinkering later (tried different leads, changed all the sockets round, rebooted the router and PC many times etc. etc.), I put the computer off and unplugged it to see if a cold re-start fixes anything and leave it for a while (while I fix the washing machine) - it starts up as though nothing whatsoever was wrong - I didn't even need to try connecting to the network or on-line, it was all just working, as it should have been in the first place. Grrrrr!

Meanwhile, the washing machine ended its cycle, full of water. Luckily I saw it before I opened the door this time. It's taken me an hour to get that to empty and spin dry enough to get the washing out. The sun won't be on the line for long, so it probably won't dry now. And I'm still in my damn nightie - so much for the huge 'to do' list I had today.

Lisa Quinn
20-09-2009, 08:03 PM
How bizarre !! I have had a bit of a rubbish week (everything I have touched has gone wrong) and have been offline all day due to network connectivity problems.

But now I'm online, my 5yr old is asleep in bed, the 15 yr old is hidden in his room xboxing, OH has taken the stepdaughters home after their weekend stay and the dog is asleep in the basket and it is wonderfully peaceful.

Lisa x

The Dragon
20-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Ok this is a little strange.

My OH has been trying to set up a network all day so we can put a laptop in the living room for him to use but it's tempramental at best. I've had a really crap day at work, all the customers seem to argumentative today and I've had to smooth over a lot of problems. On top of that I don't have my usual amounts of energy.

I do lean towards the scientific a lot of the time but there is a big part of me that beleives that some things just can't be explained (not yet anyway) and are just 'fate'.

It's nice to know that 'fate' is not too selective and has a go at someone other than me. lol <3<3

Emerald
21-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Jules do you mind if i have a moan on your thread, after trying to deal with a particularly disgusting chicken yesterday (she forgot to wipe her bum urggh), my son who is 11 today woke us up at 3.00 this morning to excited and wanted his prezzies wouldent go back to sleep aaarghh we couldent let him have them till his brother and sister where awake so there we where sipping cups of tea in the early hours until at 6.00 we finally let him wake the other two, all well and off they went to school.

Went shopping for two hours in the Big T in the dark cos all the lights had gone off, came home only to find a starling had found his way into the house and was throwing himself at the window trying to get out, luckily found a very nice man down the road cutting lawns to come and remove him even luckier he hadent pooped everwhere, thats the starling not the very nice man!!!

Diii when is this moon going to shift ? xx

Petal
21-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Hi Jo,
Of course I don't mind - we all have to have a moan, don't we!

Was that chicken alive or dead? I had to laugh when you mentionoed the starling pooping all over the place, rather than the man! :-D

I must admit I'm a dab hand at catching frightened birds and mice from contained spaces like living rooms or kitchens, as our (sadly now dead) 1st cat was very skilled at bringing things in the cat flap and then letting go of them! I don't mind catching birds (there's a knack) when they are trying to get away, but with mice, I used to use the 2 pint mug method with a mug in each persons hand and you slowly drive the mouse into the other mug! works a treat, I promise! The only time the cat ever bought a rat ... yes a HUGE rat into the house was, gladly a dead one! We are not sure whether it was dead when it came in or died after arrival, but were very glad that it was dead when we found it on the bathroom floor in the morning - ugh!

We were very pleased when cat no 2 came along and didn't want to kill anything... bliss and he was a real lap cat and used to pop onto the bed in the morning and give you a tap on the chin, when it was feeding time. He's no longer with us tho... :'(

Our current 3 (inherited) cats are all ferral ... 1 is very un-ferral and is very friendly and even sits on our sofa some evenings, the others are slowly getting more friendly as the months go by !

oh dear - I have gone off topic completely. Smack smack

better stop now.
Jules x

Di Sandland
21-09-2009, 01:17 PM
WEdnesday things should start to get better, gradually improving as the week progresses.

The moon is now waxing, this is a good time for beginning new projects and planting seeds. As the moon waxes, i.e. grows bigger, so your project/seeds grow bigger too.

The waxing moon lasts for the two weeks between the new moon and the full moon. The next full moon is on October 4th and is known as the blood moon. The full moon is the time for making plans for new projects or dedicating yourself to specific courses of action. Traditionally it is a time of fertility.

It was an accepted fact when I was working that on the nights surrounding the full moon - and the full moon night itself - labour ward would be positively heaving with far more women going into labour than at other times of the month. Lots of waters breaking as well. Research was undertaken to prove/disprove this anecdotal evidence. It supported what midwives knew to be true - if possible, have your days off around the time of the full moon!

AFter the full moon comes the waning moon - the moon appears to diminish in size again until, two weeks later it reaches the new moon stage. For three nights the moon is not visible - a time known as the dark moon. This is a time for thinking about things you want to banish from your life.

And, just for interest, a blue moon occurs when there are two full moons in a month. The blue moon is the second full moon and is where the phrase once in a blue moon comes from. The next blue moon is on December 31st this year.

On average, there will be 41 months that have two Full Moons in every century, so once in a Blue Moon actually means once every two-and-a-half years.
ry two-and-a-half years.

Emerald
21-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Hi Jo,
Was that chicken alive or dead? I had to laugh when you mentionoed the starling pooping all over the place, rather than the man! :-D

Jules x

no it was deffinatley dead but when i went to wash it the backend was full of .........well you dont really want to know:-O

Boo
21-09-2009, 01:25 PM
I was a bit confused about the chicken scenario (I actually thought you were referring to a youngster) - but the only one I hadn't contemplated was that it was Sunday lunch!!! Silly Boo. :dance:

Emerald
21-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Oh wow thanks for that Di i will look forward to wednesday then, perhaps i just need to sit down with a nice mug of tea and perhaps have a nibble at the chocolate chocolate chocolate cake i made for my son until then lol

Emerald
21-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I was a bit confused about the chicken scenario (I actually thought you were referring to a youngster) - but the only one I hadn't contemplated was that it was Sunday lunch!!! Silly Boo. :dance:

yes well the yougsters somtimes have that problem too but i dont eat them lol

Petal
21-09-2009, 01:35 PM
oooh, now THAT looks really tasty! might just have a cup of tea and a small piece of chocolate!

Jx

Petal
22-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Wow this moon thing is causing havoc.... went into mum-in-law's room, pulled the curtains and the curtain rail fell down!!!! :N:

Then, after recovering with a cup of tea I'm doing an online order with 15 items in my basket and the bloody order disappears! :'(

Now that's a pretty powerful gremlin!!!

How's your day today Di???

Jx

Di Sandland
22-09-2009, 10:10 AM
To early to tell Jules! Doctors appt at 10 so I just sat and vegged in front of Jeremy Kyle until then. Just got home from town - I have a commission for 'haematite and hearts.' Now, I don't tend to do hearts in my stuff, so I went to the local bead shop to see what they have. Not much :(

Now off for coffee and to start work. I have my fingers crossed for a better day.

xxx

Petal
22-09-2009, 10:14 AM
I'll be crossing my fingers for you - I'm sure you'll be fine :X

keep your pecker up

love
Jules x

agent_44
22-09-2009, 10:15 AM
lol at all the bird related disaters! :rofl:

I rememeber when I was about 15 being at my Grandparents and a pidgeon getting in and attacking my Gran's head! No idea why, me and my Grandad were there too. Grandad, was just having hysterics so I ended up grabbing the washing up bowl of all things and literally scooping the pidgeon back out of the window. I have to admit I was giggling too though, and my Gran was Ok, althougha bit shocked, she had a bit of a delicate disposition!

Of my 4 cats one likes to drag things through the cat flap too, though never a bird, though I got lots of baby rabbits were I used to live!

I'm sure it's not moon related but I am holed up in my place with suspected swine flu at the moment, although it's probably not, but I guess you can't take the risk. What's annoying is I reckon I caught it last Fri, the first time I'd been out in 2 weeks, as I have been a bit of a hermit for fear of stuffing up this darn diet if I go out and run in to temptation (I don't think I have such strong will power as Su)! Friday went a bit wrong when the biyfirnd fainted on me! Turns out the twit hadn't eaten all day, and we'd been to see a band and had been jumpring aournd like fools at the front. This resulted in me taking him to get food and watching him eat it, grr that was painful!

Anyway thought the flu wasn't too bad, but got my Tamiflu anyway, which causes me to projectile vomit it seems so that's not much use. By the end of yesterday had full on fever, today I am better, but don't seem to be able to stand up at the moment!

Hoping I am better by sun, as I am booked on Nic's PMC course, and I don't want to miss it :'(

Solunar Silver Studio
22-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I've been in floods of tears reading this thread this morning... The service engineer is here doing the central heating boiler...which is now in bits on the kitchen floor....but you know how it is....how silly you feel when you laugh out loud at a computer screen in public. I was sipping my tea and reading quietly until I came to Jo's bit and then the dam began to break. The more I tried to hold it in and the more I read, the more I was wobbling up and down silently in my seat... and then I got to Boo's contribution and the tears started!! I keep picturing it all in my head and I feel it welling up inside me again!! I have only let out a couple of whimpers so far and I don't think he has noticed....but now I need a tissue!!!!:'(
I may be all red eyed, snivelling and weeping but it has done me a world of good!! :ta:

Di Sandland
22-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Oh, poor 44! I had the swine flu back along and, to be honest, didn't bother with the TAmiflu - its still in the cupboard! Its only Tuesday, so you should be better in time for Nic's class.

My cat, Floozie, seems to be very partial to shrews, which he brings in through the bedroom window while we're sleeping. It can be a bit disconcerting. He makes such a habit of it that, after finding a three legged shrew by the chest of drawers, I wrote a poem about it.

The thought of you bashing your gran over the head with the washing up bowl had me laughing out loud. Your family sounds very similar to my own...

agent_44
22-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Hehe yeah, the pidgeon thing was very surreal!

My hunter cat has been partial to shrews in the past too, I remember one night opening the front door and stepping in to my hall with the light off and standing on something and skidding about a metre forward, like I was skating. Turned the light on and found a very, very flat shrew!

Thanks Di, yeah I am hoping to be better by Sunday, I am much better today than yesterday evening, so fingers crossed!

Emerald
22-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Hope you feel better soon Agent 44 that flat shrew had me laughing you all remind me why i dont have pets, my friend was complaing of a bad smell in here house and her house is immaculate i mean immaculate and i was very suprised when she had a cat, it keeps bringing in rats and the smell was one decomposing behind the curtains yuck.

Barbara you had me worried i thought you where crying cos we had made you sad not because you where laughing lol

Anyway to add to all the woes i have just had to pick my little girl up from school cos she is feeling sick dont think i can blame that on the moon

Solunar Silver Studio
22-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Poor Lucinda...if it is anything like what I had a couple of weeks ago (never confirmed as anything because I don't 'do' doctors!!) ...it left me feeling very delicate...and I am still not quite right in the head!! I had a couple of days where I could barely move because I was just so weak...and I had a dreadful headache and a cough. Then I slept for the best part of 2 days! Had what felt like a hang over for 3 or 4 days which has pretty much gone now although I still get dizzy if bend over or move too quickly. Fortunately none of my family seem to have got it...though I have no idea what the incubation period might be!!

Solunar Silver Studio
22-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Better keep this thread going girls... The man has just condemned my boiler!! News I recieved with a silly grin on my face and moist eyes. He is contacting the landlord now to see whether he can fit a new boiler...but until negotiations are ended I have the prospect of no hot water for the forseeable future!!! Just as well it is not the depths of winter or I would be freezing too!!

Flat shrews have renewed my flagging spirits though!! :Y: Keep it up!!

mizgeorge
22-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Oh dear. What a week everyone's having.

Lucinda, I feel for you. I've just got a stinker of a cold, and that's bad enough. I hope they let me into the hospital for fracture clinic this afternoon.

B - your poor old boiler (I said YOUR). Hope they can get a new one in quickly. No hot water is miserable. At least it's not freezing cold yet. I lived in Moscow for a couple of years, where all heating and hot water is centrally controlled and provided. Every year, every property gets the whole lot turned off for a month, supposedly for maintenance, but in reality as a money-saving exercise. Our month was May, when it was still snowing heavily, and nobody had warned us. It got so bad, I ended up flying to London for a hot shower and a weekend in a warm bed :) The next year we had an electric water heater fitted.

I'm so glad my old cat's turned into a cushion and wouldn't know a shrew if it got up and waved at her.

mizgeorge
22-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I've just realised - isn't today the Autumn Equinox?

I guess it's all downhill now then!

Emerald
22-09-2009, 11:32 AM
sure is George my computer just crashed trying to read your reply lol

agent_44
22-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Barbara - yes delicate is a good word, not too bad propped up in bed with my laptop, but the second I try and get up I feel awful and have to sit down again!

George - hope they let you into the clinic, that would be a pain if not - are you still in plaster? I can't remember if you said it came off or not.

I'm quite lucky considering I have 4 cats, was only really when I lived by the edge of a farm/countryside that the one cat the does catch stuff brought anythign in, before that I had seen him with dead things out side, and not a lot since. Be interesting to see if there's much about for him to terrorise when I move!

Boo
22-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Get well soon hugs to those down with assorted lurgies (or is it lergies?).

I've managed to avoid bugs thus far, thankfully.

bustagasket
22-09-2009, 12:10 PM
That bloody mooon has played havoc with me too - every doctors/hospital appointment running really late, making a rush for me to get to the next thing on the agenda over yesterday and today, i have been dropping everything, breaking stuff, and generally felt totally screwed up lol so the new moon can become old as quick as it bloody likes!

Di Sandland
22-09-2009, 12:25 PM
George said:

Every year, every property gets the whole lot turned off for a month, supposedly for maintenance, but in reality as a money-saving exercise. Our month was May, when it was still snowing heavily, and nobody had warned us.

Sounds a bit like the NHS where the same thing happens. Heating off in March and on in October - no matter what the temperature.

And, yes, its equinox - Mabon. George, I'm sure you'll be delighted to learn that the gemstone associated with Mabon is lapis...

Solunar Silver Studio
22-09-2009, 01:29 PM
(or is it lergies?).

Is that a scouse accent there Boo?? I've had it all morning from my boiler man!! ...could only catch one word in three!! You'd think, after a quarter of a century up here I'd have learned to decypher it wouldn't you!!:-D

On the plus side (I think...) negotiations ended with an 'acceptable fix' on the part of the engineer - and a landlord that kept his hand firmly on his wallet!! It means I have hot water...but I'm stuck with the old boiler!! It's all less hassle for me - I just hope it doen't kill us in the night!!!=:-O

Boo
22-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Nah, I would have ended it 'la' if it had been Scouse. I'm a Lancashire lass myself but my son is at the University of Liverpool and does drift into Scouse occasionally after over 3 years there.

Glad you got a decent compromise on the boiler. Might have to put mine on shortly, I can't seem to get warm today. Lunch might help.

bustagasket
22-09-2009, 02:18 PM
When i was 15 (yeah i know donkeys years ago) i went on a school trip to Spain and the hotel we were in had a nother school trip staying there from Liverpool. (we were quite pleased at first seeing as we were an all girl school and they were an all boy school) and all we got for 2 weeks was "Eh wach" drove us round the bend in the end, but we were saying it to each other for months afterwards lol

mizgeorge
22-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Di, you'd be proud of me. I used some lapis today! Still wish I could get past the ethical issues though.

agent_44
22-09-2009, 03:05 PM
A scouse man who was visiting bristol tried (I think) to chat me up a couple of years back, really awkward, I had no idea what he was saying!

Lisa Quinn
22-09-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm married to a scouser and at family get togethers I just smile a lot and nod, hopefully in the right place , because half the time I haven't got a clue what they are all saying.

#-o

agent_44
22-09-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm married to a scouser and at family get togethers I just smile a lot and nod, hopefully in the right place , because half the time I haven't got a clue what they are all saying.

#-o

That makes me feel a bit better, I can never understand people with strong accents, I feel so ignorant sometimes!

And my ex had family in Ipswich, sounds like a few times when I visited down there!

Di Sandland
22-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Di, you'd be proud of me. I used some lapis today! Still wish I could get past the ethical issues though.

Bet it was for a commission! I do really like the look of it but after the King's Ransom necklace I never want to see another piece again - ethics or no ethics.