PDA

View Full Version : mixing pitch(es?)

NickD
24-03-2018, 02:42 PM
Just wondering about mixing my Cookson's chasers' pitch with the red stuff from Germany.
That should be okay, shouldn't it? *-:)
Has anyone ever tried?

Dennis
24-03-2018, 04:33 PM
I presume this is because you are trying to fill a box or bowl for chasing. My suggestion would be to make a base layer with one and cover it with the other, rather than try to mix them. Dennis.

-Sally-
24-03-2018, 09:17 PM
I have mixed pitches - but it was so long ago I can't remember what they were other than to say that I started with a really stinky, hard black pitch, wanted something a bit softer and now have a layer of softer, red, nicer to use and less stinky pitch on top!
Sally

ps_bond
25-03-2018, 10:30 AM
If they're both the same basic components - e.g. pine resin based - it should be OK.
If one is bitumen and the other pine, then no, that's not going to work. I'd not even layer them in that case.

NickD
25-03-2018, 10:59 AM
If they're both the same basic components - e.g. pine resin based - it should be OK.
If one is bitumen and the other pine, then no, that's not going to work. I'd not even layer them in that case.
Thanks v much for the replies.
I have Cookson's chasers' pitch and was thinking about adding the red pine pitch.
The problem is I've been attempting to chase a cup which meant filling it with what's in the bowl.
To work from the inside I needed to take this out but at the moment need to reuse it . I just don't have enough.
Maybe I'll just have to wait until Cookson's get a supply.
If I ever buy again I won't use this.