PDA

View Full Version : Making a ring out of D wire

bob flemming
19-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Hello,

I have made a few rings out of D wire and I need to make some more. Whilst I can make them look OK, I can never get that professional join.

Does anyone have any tips for getting that perfect join in D wire, please?

Thanks!

Bob

Emerald
19-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi Bob

hold the ring with the two joins togther and then run you sawblade through it this should give you the perfect join, or if they are already soldered run your sawblade through them and resolder.:D

Matp85
19-09-2009, 11:07 PM
make sure the joins are flush the sides are in perfectly aligned and solder. Then filing is the important bit, this is because the the ring your filling should be the same thickeness at every angle and the sides are level! Make sure your only taking the solder away.

Remember dont use ten tonnes of solder less is best so you dont take more away then you should while filing!!!

MuranoSilver
20-09-2009, 06:38 AM
If it's "one of those days" then it ca help to mke wire into a D shape for soldering two straight edges are sometimes easier to line up. The join would be on the straight part.
Then round it on a manderel after pickling
Nic x

agent_44
20-09-2009, 09:15 AM
If it's "one of those days" then it ca help to mke wire into a D shape for soldering two straight edges are sometimes easier to line up. The join would be on the straight part.
Then round it on a manderel after pickling
Nic x

That's what I would generally do if I was having a problem getting a perfect join on a ring, works a treat.