PDA

View Full Version : I need to make a slider

Di Sandland
19-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Okay, guys, help!

I'm spending the weekend making 'quick' stuff because I am woefully short of stock for the end of October (this forum has a lot to answer for). But why is quick never quick?

I have made a gorgeous necklace that is supported by greek leather thonging 2mm in diameter. I have doubled the thonging a) because they are heavy stones and b) because it looks better. Now I want to make a slider so that the necklace is variable in length BUT I have no beads that have what effectively needs to be an 8mm diameter hole!

I could make one (polymer clay) but I don't really want to. I have minimal silver sheet left in stock (for that read a smidgeon). I do have metal clay and I do have silver wire in various diameters. But I can't work out how to do it with wire. If I use metal clay that turns 'quick' makes into rather lengthier ones.

I know George will have the answer and I'm hoping that others will have some suggestions too.

Please

MuranoSilver
19-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Why not make it a fixed length and add a bit of extension chain?
The only other option (I can think of) would be a sliding knot :)

nic x

Di Sandland
19-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Why not make it a fixed length and add a bit of extension chain?
The only other option (I can think of) would be a sliding knot :)

nic x

#-o never thought of a sliding knot. I did think about the extension chain but it don't look right with the leather on this particular one.

lesley
19-09-2009, 12:34 PM
I was going to say sliding knot too. :)

Di Sandland
19-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I was going to say sliding knot too. :)

I never, ever look for the simple solutions - I complicate everything :(|

mizgeorge
19-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Surely it's only 4mm diameter?

You could thread all four through a big hole lampwork (or better still silver dipped ceramic) bead and then knot off the ends. Or you could wire wrap each pair and then overwrap them with the other two captured in between.

Or a bit of macrame to make a sliding knot (though this might be a bit bulky).

Of course the easiest option of the lot is to make a short (three or four turns) coil of a reasonable gauge wire (1.2 or thereabouts) that's very slightly tight (3.75/4mm knitting needle should do it) and thread the lot through before knotting off the ends. If you don't want to have 'dangly' ends, you can do the same thing with a crossover (effectively making a sliding knot without the knot).

I hope some of that ramble makes sense :)

Di Sandland
19-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks George, it makes perfect sense.

Petal
19-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Oh thanks so much for asking this question Di, as I was going to ask the very same question and you've gone and beat me to it!

Thanks to George for posting a piccie of how to do it!

:ta: guys ... a big [[]] from me for sorting out my problem before I even asked you to !

LOtsaluv
Jules x

Di Sandland
19-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Oh thanks so much for asking this question Di, as I was going to ask the very same question and you've gone and beat me to it!

Thanks to George for posting a piccie of how to do it!

:ta: guys ... a big [[]] from me for sorting out my problem before I even asked you to !

LOtsaluv
Jules x

Great minds, Jules ;)

Petal
19-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi Di/George,
A quick question is I may.... George recommended a good site for rubber thong, as I'd like to get some, but I forgot to make a note of who they were. I've had a quick Google and have come up with all sorts of other thong! that I don't want. (I'm an M&S girl myself ;) ).

Could you let me know, or PM me, with the name of the supplier please, as I too want to get organised for my next fair and need to get ordering! My 'wires' were ordered a week ago and only turned up yesterday, so I know it will be touch and go as to whether I've got enough time to make it or not beforehand.

thanks very much

Lotsaluv
Jules

mizgeorge
19-09-2009, 05:19 PM
PM'd you Jules.

Di Sandland
19-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Goodness, that was quick

Petal
19-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks girls, now THAT was quick. :Y:What size do you most commonly use?

1mm or 2mm ???

Love Jx

Di Sandland
19-09-2009, 05:27 PM
| prefer 2mm - more substantial

Petal
19-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks for that. I'll get ordering!

Love Jules x

Petal
19-09-2009, 05:43 PM
| prefer 2mm - more substantial

I'm really sorry Di/George.. I forgot to ask.... the even more obvious question of :-

What is your most popular colours? There are loads of diff. ones and as I've never used it before and we are coming into the autumn/winter colours, I'm not sure which ones to get??

Jx

Di Sandland
19-09-2009, 05:50 PM
I tend to go for earth tones - brown, olive green. I have black but rarely use it. And (gulp) I have some shocking pink.

The earthy ones seem to go better for me

mizgeorge
19-09-2009, 06:14 PM
2mm. All the browns (except the horrid bronzey metallic one), natural, olive, navy. I end up using quite a lot of black on plain silver pieces. Pastel suedes (turquoise, lime, pink and lilac).

Oh, and rubber - I like the black, jade and clear.

Petal
19-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks very much guys... off to not burn the dinner!

see you soon
Love Jx