PDA

View Full Version : Can I tube set small cabouchons 5mm as well as facetted gemstones ?

Lindafkatz
24-02-2018, 04:04 AM
I have been unable to find the answer to this question in my research.
I am starting with sterling tubes, which I will cut to size.
I do have the burr attachment to create the seat.
However, I seem to have read that small round cabs are hard to set.
True or false? I would appreciate your opinion.
Thanks
Linda

Lindafreedmankatz.com

china
24-02-2018, 04:19 AM
The answer is yes you can, the size makes them a bit fiddly but this is true for any shape, round, oval, faceted, just take your time make sure what ever you are setting ring etc. is firmly secured by some means
Depending on how good your eyes are a Optivisor or similar may help

J Allison
24-02-2018, 08:08 AM
As China said yes , It can be fiddly but works well I do it with some of my small opals 10967

Dennis
24-02-2018, 10:13 AM
The trouble with setting small cabochons, particularly in tubes, is that being slippery, they tend to turn turtle under pressure.

This will happen if you use setting burrs, intended for stones with a culet.

Walsh have these burrs, which give a good flat seat to mitigate this: https://www.hswalsh.com/product/fraizer-fig-412-wheel-head-burr-please-select-size
Dennis.

enigma
24-02-2018, 01:35 PM
Dennis , do you use that on a pillar drill?
I ask because I did mine by hand and found it very difficult not to end up with it cutting too big a hole.
definitely better to have a flat seat for a cabochon though I agree.

Dennis
24-02-2018, 02:32 PM
No Sarah, I think that would make it worse. Not being bevelled, they won't centre properly.

Instead start with a round burr, or a setting burr, or both, but not full depth and then flatten the seat.

If you are worried about enlarging the space with the cylinder burr, you could always insert it and turn it in a pin vice. Dennis

enigma
24-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Thanks Dennis, I should probably have used a smaller one actually.