PDA

View Full Version : Advice on foredom

JewelleryByMandy
22-02-2018, 07:48 PM
Sorry, ive tried to search this but the search box doesnt work!
I really want...
some control over the speed as my draper goes like the clappers and scratches abit as its too aggressive.
And also a quick release. Im sick to death of not having a chuck key and using a scrap bit and the constant changes with different collets (i think theyre called).
Ive seen both these features in some kits but still some kits are different and still have both. Of course im looking for the cheapest and dont want anyone doing my research for me but tips and opinions would be good. Or a good read and debate on here which i cant find! 👍🏻

misspond
22-02-2018, 08:55 PM
If you just want something to play with for a while then look for a nail manicure motor on eBay. For £15/20 you'll get something with an on/off foot-pedal, an adjustable speed and that will take 2.35mm shanks for drilling, burring and polishing. I used mine to flush set a stone (on the right) and to polish this piece not that long ago.10960

If you like it, and then it falls apart/stops working, then invest in a dental micromotor for about three times the price and more longevity.

Dennis
22-02-2018, 10:02 PM
This recent discussion might be of help, as Sheena was in a similar position.
http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9135 Dennis

enigma
22-02-2018, 11:20 PM
I have two Foredoms now as I like to have a separate one with the hammer handpiece on for setting but this is the one I have for everything else ( it also runs the hammer handpiece if needed).
https://www.bettsmetalsales.com/p-Foredom-Sr-Pendant-Motor/2803
It does everything you could want and is easy and comfortable to use with the handpiece that comes with it, the only addition I have is the hammer handpiece.
Alternatively I notice Cooksons have a new pendant drill now with foot speed control and an easy change handpiece:
http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Jewellers-Pendant-Drill-Quick------Release-Handpiece-prcode-999-87EE

I haven't looked into it though so I don't know if you can get a hammer handpiece for it ( should you want one at some point)

Ive had my Foredom in daily use for about 3 years now and its only needed a couple of maintenance kits and a new collet ( about £15 a time from Betts)

misspond
23-02-2018, 12:36 AM
To be fair, anyone who is starting to play with equipment might be more inclined to spend about £25 in research and development (r&d) by chipping out £15 for a nail motor machine and a £10 engraving tool (that can be used as as a hammer head) to try those things out should be encouraged to do so? What's £25? A bag of scrap? A few broken cabs?

The way I see it, if you can afford to be playing around with metal and heat and stones and creativity you can afford to spend a bit on things that might not have a big price tag. If you move on to bigger things like selling then you'll need to factor that in, but £25 over a couple of months is equal to a takeaway meal, or a bit too much spent on a night out.

£250 for a more expensive machine is a huge outlay. And I mean no disrespect to anyone suggesting someone new look at one.

enigma
23-02-2018, 12:59 AM
The post was actually inquiring about a Foredom?
I didn't get the impression that Mandy just wanted to play, she already has some sort of pendant motor and wanted to upgrade from what I read?
In any case its up to Mandy to decide what she wants but given that the post was entitled "advice on Foredom" I assumed that was what she wanted.
Personally I regret buying the two Dremels I bought before I shelled out for a Foredom as that was just total wasted money that could have gone towards the Foredom but it does of course depend what you want to do and for how long.
I will say though that some of the cheaper machines like the Dremel are utterly useless for stone setting and burring.

misspond
23-02-2018, 01:17 AM
Yes, and I didn't mean any disrespect to anyone who is using tried and tested motors. To my eye the OP was asking about cheap machines that could do a bit of work.
If she'd asked about professional machines that might be affordable I'd have stayed out of the way. But she did ask for a good discussion. I'm sorry if I came across as unthinking Enigma, I have total respect for your work and for everyone else with much more experience than I have.

enigma
23-02-2018, 01:24 AM
No problem, we are just coming in from different angles is all.
Its good that Mandy has a variety of information and options so she can decide what best suits her needs and budget at this stage. :)

misspond
23-02-2018, 01:34 AM
No problem, we are just coming in from different angles is all.
Its good that Mandy has a variety of information and options so she can decide what best suits her needs and budget at this stage. :)

Let's hope the discussion is appreciated :-)

JewelleryByMandy
23-02-2018, 05:38 PM
Its good to get all opinions. This is something i love doing. Ive always done beaded work wirework etc... not precious metals but since i started playing i love it. The more i play the more im getting peeved with the drapers stupidly high speed and pain in the arse burr changes. Ive just got a new torch so would like everything really but my wage doesnt allow.
Anyway, it was more the different makes or versions of foredom i wanted info on. I havent got to setting stones yet but no doubt will, but wouldnt have a clue which one to get if i did. Or the hammering piece either. Is this just a separate handpiece in addition? I think i will need to just bit the bullet if buying but want to be sure i have it all covered. They all look and sound the same but different prices with different model numbers. Insuppose its comfort of handpiece?
Thanks for input so far x

enigma
23-02-2018, 07:12 PM
Im far from an expert on Foredoms, the only ones I know of are the SR and LX, the LX is slower speeds/higher torque so is the best for the hammer handpiece but it works on either, you just have to be mindful not to run it too fast on the SR.
The hammer handpiece is extremely useful for setting stones in gold but you don't really need it for silver if you use fine silver for your bezels.
Its also useful for texturing so it is something you may want to add at some point but hardly an essential piece of kit unless setting in gold IMO.
Its a separate handpiece that you could buy later if you wanted/budget allowed.
As far as the standard handpieces go the 20 and 18 are the ones I have and I far prefer the 20 as its more comfortable to hold but its probably a personal preference thing.
There is a bit of info here although if you could get to a store they would most likely let you have a free demo and explain further:
https://www.bettsmetalsales.com/c-Pendant-Drill-Handpieces
I have only ever used Dremel, Foredom and Milbro, of the 3 I can't stand Dremels as they run too fast with too little torque and don't last under heavy use,I prefer Foredoms over Milbro but there are certainly others.

JewelleryByMandy
25-02-2018, 12:02 PM
Im far from an expert on Foredoms, the only ones I know of are the SR and LX, the LX is slower speeds/higher torque so is the best for the hammer handpiece but it works on either, you just have to be mindful not to run it too fast on the SR.
The hammer handpiece is extremely useful for setting stones in gold but you don't really need it for silver if you use fine silver for your bezels.
Its also useful for texturing so it is something you may want to add at some point but hardly an essential piece of kit unless setting in gold IMO.
Its a separate handpiece that you could buy later if you wanted/budget allowed.
As far as the standard handpieces go the 20 and 18 are the ones I have and I far prefer the 20 as its more comfortable to hold but its probably a personal preference thing.
There is a bit of info here although if you could get to a store they would most likely let you have a free demo and explain further:
https://www.bettsmetalsales.com/c-Pendant-Drill-Handpieces
I have only ever used Dremel, Foredom and Milbro, of the 3 I can't stand Dremels as they run too fast with too little torque and don't last under heavy use,I prefer Foredoms over Milbro but there are certainly others.

Ah thanks enigma. Its peoples experiences that im after such as this. The handpiece info is good too. I wouldnt know which to look at. And the differences between st and lx etc... thanks x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enigma
25-02-2018, 12:09 PM
You're welcome :)
Actually the 18 isn't working properly and Im not sure whats wrong with it yet but it hasn't been used much so I prefer the 20 even more now lol