PDA

View Full Version : LAO hallmarking costs

theresa
14-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Just received my hallmarking back and noticed that the LAO charged an extra £2.75 per item for making my laser marks 1.5mm instead of the standard 1mm, which I always think is much too small anyway. You could have knocked me down with a feather:mad: Can't see why the size of the mark should cost extra when lasered, or am I being too simplistic?

ps_bond
14-02-2018, 04:19 PM
Not that it makes it any better, but in the price list it says:

"Application of display/feature marks (spaced, staggered,
spot or marks above maximum normal size¹)
Plus £2.75 Per article"

"¹Maximum Normal Sizes
Silver: 1mm for jewellery articles, 2mm for silverware.
Gold, palladium or platinum: 1mm for Jewellery, 1.5mm for other articles"

So essentially, you've just been smacked for display hallmarks rather than standard. Just the assay offices doing what they can to make hallmarking uneconomical for small studios. Reading that, if you had a 1.5mm punch they'd bung that charge on too...

theresa
14-02-2018, 04:24 PM
I have just printed off their latest price list, unfortunately the one I had before didn't specify what the max normal size was (at least I didn't notice it). My fault entirely for not noticing but still a pain because it cost an extra £44+vat that I hadn't budgeted for in my costings for just 16 articles!:'(

ps_bond
14-02-2018, 04:27 PM
For bracelets, bangles and larger jewellery I don't really feel that 1.5mm is unreasonable (I've had some done @ 4mm which I'd regard as well outside the norm).