PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to tease you.....

geti-titanium
17-09-2009, 08:34 PM
.... with this. It isn't my work, we've only engraved it and I don't know if I will be able to show it to you yet, but if I do get the opportunity to put it on the forum it may be of interest to you.

One of my customers in the jewellery quarter has made an 18 carat red and green gold pair of rings for a client and to be set with a natural blue diamond.

The design is a red gold base with a green gold star and leaves design outer sleeve with the addition of an 18k red gold butterfly.

My description doesn't do it justice really - it just has to be seen to appreciate it.

Watch this space with open boweled anticipation! [-o<

Emerald
17-09-2009, 11:10 PM
************:wwopics:************

bustagasket
18-09-2009, 06:02 AM
:yeah::yeah::yeah:

Charlotte
18-09-2009, 08:58 AM
That sounds friggin awesome... PHOTOS!:-()

lorraineflee
18-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Piccies, Piccies. Piccies!!! Please!
Lorraine

agent_44
18-09-2009, 09:01 AM
And what if you can't show us? You know we'll all come over and sort you out, right? ;)

Seriously though, sounds amazing, and I really wouldn't mind taking a peek!

geti-titanium
18-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Now, now - calm down everybody - deep breaths - tranquil waters and all that. Piccies will be coming, customer said it was ok to put on and it should be finished early next week. :Y:

caroleallen
18-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Ooh, you are a tease!

lesley
18-09-2009, 06:15 PM
I like being teased. ;)

Di Sandland
18-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Lesley, was that you I saw in this month's Making Jewellery?

Ominicci
19-09-2009, 05:15 PM
.... an 18 carat red and green gold pair of rings for a client and to be set with a natural blue diamond.

The design is a red gold base with a green gold star and leaves design outer sleeve with the addition of an 18k red gold butterfly.

[-o<

Nope, can't PICTURE it myself......

mizgeorge
19-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Lesley, was that you I saw in this month's Making Jewellery?

She's obviously not going to tell you ;)

YES it was!

Di Sandland
19-09-2009, 05:28 PM
I was going to push it George. In fact, I thought I'd dropped an 'oopsie'

Ominicci
19-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Can't get Making Jewellery around here - only Make Jewellery. Don't want to take out a sub as I have enough mags subs :-"

Di Sandland
19-09-2009, 05:53 PM
sadly, I think the American mags are better anyway - Art Jewellery and Jewellery ARtist are my faves. Pity about the ads being American tho, always make me feel very dissatisfied with my lot.

We're not well served at all for jewellery mags here I don't think. There are the bead ones and there's Making Jewellery, which has a stab at something more than beads. It still has quite a way to go in my opinion but its a start.

mizgeorge
19-09-2009, 06:18 PM
I did notice Making Jewellery's got a hobby drill (same as the Cookson one) as the sub gift at the moment though...

I contribute to Making Jewellery and Beads and Beyond (though I've had a gap since June as I was away getting married and then had this stupid wrist to deal with), and I genuinely think they're upping their game.

Of the American ones, I also like Art Jewelry and Jewelry Artist, also Step by Step Wire, and the occasional issue of Belle Armoire. There are a couple of really excellent Australian ones as well.

Our market here is just too tiny to support anything much more than hobbyist level, I suspect.

lesley
20-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I was going to push it George. In fact, I thought I'd dropped an 'oopsie'

So sorry, Di, I've been very rude.
I'm just not very happy with it to be honest and generally feeling a bit of a grumpy so and so.
Excuse me while I go off for a sulk and a moan.:)

Di Sandland
20-09-2009, 06:54 PM
So sorry, Di, I've been very rude.
I'm just not very happy with it to be honest and generally feeling a bit of a grumpy so and so.
Excuse me while I go off for a sulk and a moan.:)

Oh, don't Lesley! I was shining in your reflected glory!! I also think you should be very proud because it was a good piece.

Petal
20-09-2009, 10:28 PM
I did notice Making Jewellery's got a hobby drill (same as the Cookson one) as the sub gift at the moment though...

I contribute to Making Jewellery and Beads and Beyond (though I've had a gap since June as I was away getting married and then had this stupid wrist to deal with), and I genuinely think they're upping their game.

Of the American ones, I also like Art Jewelry and Jewelry Artist, also Step by Step Wire, and the occasional issue of Belle Armoire. There are a couple of really excellent Australian ones as well.

Our market here is just too tiny to support anything much more than hobbyist level, I suspect.

Hi George, :~:

OOh your'e a published lady! and Lesley too! What's it like having your articles published then, I bet you must be chuffed to bits!

I've been thinking for some time of subscribing to some beading/jewellery making mags - do you have any you would recommend?

Sorry, the thoughts are a bit random tonite, as I'm plum tuckered.....

nearly bedtime

I-)

Jules x

geti-titanium
21-09-2009, 05:07 PM
The subject of this thread is coming ever nearer to completion, photgraphicalising and displaying on this forum, in the meantime here's a little newbie we created today made from Titanium and inlaid with genuine stingray skin.

Please note that no Stingrays were harmed in the making of this ring and all of them were willing participants in the creation of the design and gave their skin freely!

For those of you who haven't quite mastered the art of telling when I am serious or not, this is a solid Titanium ring with a simulated laser engraved stingray design :~:

bustagasket
21-09-2009, 05:11 PM
lmao alan and there was me imagining you sitting on a boat with a queue of rays behind you all applying for the job of giving a bit of skin for one of your rings for bragging rights!!!

lesley
21-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Oh, you disapoint me! I think you and stingrays should suffer for your art. :)

It's very swish - actually looks a bit like a tyre tread.

Emerald
21-09-2009, 06:54 PM
You should call that piece the Steve Irwin Geti! :rofl:

now thats just cruel Jay:rofl:

Sheltie
21-09-2009, 09:52 PM
now thats just cruel Jay:rofl:

Funny but cruel:rofl:

MuranoSilver
22-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Oooh really like the texture of the stingray engraving :Y:

agent_44
22-09-2009, 10:17 AM
You should call that piece the Steve Irwin Geti! :rofl:

Ha ha! Have to say that bloke annoyed me, he did seem to exist in order to torment animals that were otherwise minding their business!

geti-titanium
24-09-2009, 02:35 PM
I've taken a snap of the green and red gold ring and I'm just about to nip the film up to the photo shop to be developed - they say I can pick them up again a week on Friday, so, stay tuned :)

bustagasket
24-09-2009, 03:47 PM
*bites nails in anticipation* hope you didnt need an ice looly to get the film to the developers :o

EmmaRose
24-09-2009, 07:19 PM
can't wait, sounds amazing!
like the sting ray too...you should start doing brass texture plates for us metal clayers!!
Em

geti-titanium
24-09-2009, 08:41 PM
The photo shop have just sent the finished polaroids round by carrier pigeon for me to show you - so with out further ado, I present to you the aforementioned green and red gold ring (drum roll)

geti-titanium
24-09-2009, 08:42 PM
oops sorreeee - clicked on the wrong file. I'll just go and make a cup of tea and put the correct image on for you - it's really nice as well! :-O

EmmaRose
24-09-2009, 08:56 PM
noooooo that is just sooooooooo mean. I have to go to bed now!!!no fair!!!!
[-X

geti-titanium
24-09-2009, 09:00 PM
no wait the kettle's just boiled - I'm nearly there!

lesley
24-09-2009, 09:12 PM
I knew he was taking the pee earlier!

geti-titanium
24-09-2009, 09:13 PM
OK here we go - it's not Photoshopped yet and a little grey in the background but here it is..............
a roight work of art !

Emerald
24-09-2009, 09:17 PM
mmmm its beautiful workmanship but sorry, not my cup of tea at all:'(

Lisa Quinn
24-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Crikey, the workmanship that must have gone into making that ! They are beautiful.

bustagasket
24-09-2009, 09:29 PM
omg thats amazing!!!!! *smacks* Alan for all the waiting around he made us do

MuranoSilver
24-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Very pretty :Y:

Jayne
24-09-2009, 10:12 PM
OMG(osh)
that ring is awesome :-O
what is the inscription on the inside?
pure beauty

J x

caroleallen
24-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Wow! How beautiful are they?

geti-titanium
24-09-2009, 10:31 PM
The inscription sounds a bit mushy (I love you my Twinkle) but I think it has some meaning connected to the star on the top - we'll have to ask forum lurker Judge Dredd of Touchstone Jewellery in the quarter about that because he and his business partner made the rings and know more about them than I do.

Note the really subtle green tinge in the gold - I think the star is going to be Rhodium plated to make it white but they are undecided at the moment.

geti-titanium
24-09-2009, 10:34 PM
They won't be to everybodies taste but you have to admire the work behind them.

geti-titanium
24-09-2009, 10:46 PM
And then at the opposite end of the jewellery market - a couple of days ago a chap walked in to my showroom at about 6.30pm with a ring he had bought from a high street McJeweller to be engraved for his anniversary on Friday.

I had to tell him that I couldn't risk doing it because it was paper thin and there was a good chance that I would burn straight through it.

I've often heard tales of imported rings but I haven't really had my hands on many to have a good look at.

This was terrible - as light as a feather with practically no metal to it whatsoever - he was surprised when I told him that it was Rhodium plated to make it whiter, he'd never heard of Rhodium plating. I can't understand how these shops get away with selling the quality that they do.

On the plus side the wooden box was very nice!

Jayne
24-09-2009, 10:59 PM
The inscription sounds a bit mushy (I love you my Twinkle)

oh......beauty.......
love it
(although I have had a couple of brandy & cokes lol)

J x

Ominicci
25-09-2009, 11:10 AM
No, they are not to my taste either but workmanship admirable yes.

agent_44
25-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Not something I woudl wear either but still, they are jaw droppingly stunning! I love the different gold alloys together.

EmmaRose
25-09-2009, 09:42 PM
oh, well sure, if the box is alright! Sometimes I think the biggest hurdle is educating Joe Public (or Jo Public) about the value of artisan/ craftsmanship and not mass produced tatt....
nice rings, not my cup of tea either, but beautifully made. Love the colouring.

snow_imp
26-09-2009, 07:21 AM
ooh, I really love those rings - just the kind of thing I like!

And the workmanship is to die for. <3<3