PDA

View Full Version : How do you organise your stock?

agent_44
17-09-2009, 06:09 PM
I've tried neumerous ways to organise my finished pieces, and am getting frustrated with not finding a way that keeps me happy!

Ideally I woud like to keep mine in it's presentation box, but this takes up more space and I can't easily see the piece inside. This might possibly change as I get more organised and have code numbers for everything that I can put on the outside of the box sleeve.

At the moment I have each piece in a grip seal bag and each of these placed in one big box, far too disorganised for me to cope with.

I'd be interested how you guys organise stock if you are willing to share? Amy ideas you can give me woudl be gratefully received, as I have definitely hit a brick wall with this one! :)

Boo
17-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I've battled with this for a very long time and am finally happy.

It's a little haphazard in that I just know where certain pieces are - I don't have an indexing system as such. But when I do fairs and have personal callers occasionally, I need to balance safe storage and ease of viewing and speed for putting out on display. So I use a combination of things.

My husband just yelled that dinner is out and I have black fingers from sanding, so I'll come back to this later, sorry.

mizgeorge
17-09-2009, 06:25 PM
hmmm.

I've got a big bag. Inside that are lots of other ziploc bags. Inside those are more ziploc bags (are you detecting a theme yet?) :)

I reckon I can find any given piece in a matter of seconds though!

I think a box sounds quite an advanced system.

Petal
17-09-2009, 07:20 PM
My finished pieces are on necks on my display. I seem to have had a spate of customers calling by to look at the display and buy, so I suppose its ok. But really they should be in ziplock bags to stop tarnishing!

Jules x

bustagasket
17-09-2009, 07:39 PM
i dont exactly have much in the way of stock lol so my are in the griplock bags recycled from cookson goodies lol

Boo
17-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Right, I'm back, sorry about that.

I have various systems that combine storage (i.e. preventing tarnishing and keeping things safe) and ease of getting them set up for display at fairs etc. - so the two considerations go very much hand in hand. I abandoned ziploc bags some time ago as being incredibly tedious and impractical when setting up stalls. Some bags can seemingly discolour items where they touch too.

I decided some time ago that small items like earrings sell better when individually displayed, so I abandoned my large boards in favour of individual methods. People like to pick them up and look at them, or gather short listed items together to make a selection. So many of my earrings are already in gift boxes on an angled card and these I just pop the lid on and these all live in one air tight box. I also use little freestanding card busts that each house a pair and these are stacked in another airtight box. With another box of larger busts with collections of similars on.

The remainder of my stock, all necklaces and bracelets etc. are in some stacking flat tray style tool boxes made by Stanley. They each have 24 compartments and some of the dividers had little notches in which were ideal for hanging matching earrings on, so recently I set to more of the dividers with my rotary tool to cut more notches. I can upend them and nothing comes out of its cell. Sometimes I stack more than one item in a cell with some cleaning cloth between them, I cut some squares the right size.

Each item gets a dumbbell sticker on with the price and item no. - which in most cases is the frame number of the main photo I use, so anyone can look through my boxes and see what something will cost - they're not in any particular order, but I have boxes on general themes.

When I display at fairs I usually tack a little pre-printed card with the price onto the display with a tiny blob of blutak, so these cards, just get stuck on the inside of the lid near the item, ready to re-use. I put anti-tarnish strips inside each of the boxes too.

It's a bit haphazard, but it works for me and I haven't lost or had anything damaged this way yet and they seem to keep clean enough too.

Petal
17-09-2009, 11:03 PM
That sounds incredibly organised, but I can't picture it... but then again, its a bit late for me.. would you be willing to post a piccie up for us?

Its intersting that you say earrings sell better when individually displayed, as I hang some of mine on my boards and others are on a smallish plastic display board, but they are incredibly fiddly to put on and take off and I think it puts customers off. I sometimes leave them as they are and give customers their earrings in a ziplock bag instead. Where do you get these anti-tarnish strips from, they sound very good.

ummmm, lots to think about there, but its time for bed for me, so will spk tomorrow..

night night I-)

Jules x

Emerald
17-09-2009, 11:29 PM
i have a big box and i chuck everything of no importance in it then i have a smaller box that is important ie silver and i put this in the big box x

bustagasket
18-09-2009, 06:11 AM
i love boxes for everything, all my crafting stuff is seperated into loads and loads of boxes of various shapes and sizes, and as soon as i get into my room, and have moved that all in, then the jewellery side will start to get the same treatment, i just find it helps to organise my head if everything is boxed. Atm because i have to pack everything into the tool boxes, i have my stuff as i said in the sealable bags, but all solders are togeter, all silks, all wires, all beads are in boxes already, seed beads are in tubes in a bag atm, and all tools are bagged atm to help protect them a little while they are all in a box. I just like to know that if i want some wire e.g, they will all be together - each in its own bag so i know what size it is, but then all in a bigger bag to keep them together. Its a tiny thing, but it helps me feel in order.

Solunar Silver Studio
18-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Where do you get these anti-tarnish strips from, they sound very good.

Jules x

I use these anti tarnish tabs too.... I shouldn't really have to since I use fine silver and argentium - neither of which are prone to tarnish - so whether they work or not is open to debate as far as I am concerned. (I am conditioned by past experience to expect all silver to tarnish when I even just look at it!!!). However, I do include one tab with every purchase...as well as a small square of polishing cloth...so people can make use of them with their other jewellery too...and people do like to get a 'freebie'!!

I can't find any on the Cooksons site.... Mine are made by 'intercept technology' and you can get info on them by googling 'anti tarnish strips' (or tabs). I have to admit to getting them from 'P..... M.....'

Di Sandland
18-09-2009, 07:13 AM
We need a 'P word' cookie!

mizgeorge
18-09-2009, 07:41 AM
I don't like the ones from the p word.

try here:

Anti Tarnish Tabs : EJR Beads, Lampwork, Polymer and Ceramic Art Beads (http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77&products_id=2620)

MuranoSilver
18-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Oh my the "P word" :-D
I store everything at the shop in zip lock bags, seems to work :)
nic x

lesley
18-09-2009, 08:21 AM
I do bags within bags with anti tarnish tabs.
Now I've got more stuff I store some things in their presentation box with tab.......inside a bag........inside a large Addis airtight box.

I've been using the P word tabs for the past few months and I'm not convinced. I also use larger strips which I cut up. Got those from www.thebeadshed.co.uk.

Petal
18-09-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't like the ones from the p word.

try here:

Anti Tarnish Tabs : EJR Beads, Lampwork, Polymer and Ceramic Art Beads (http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77&products_id=2620)

OOh, now they're useful! Thanks for the tip George, I'll get some of those.

Jules

Petal
18-09-2009, 08:25 AM
I use these anti tarnish tabs too.... I shouldn't really have to since I use fine silver and argentium - neither of which are prone to tarnish - so whether they work or not is open to debate as far as I am concerned. (I am conditioned by past experience to expect all silver to tarnish when I even just look at it!!!). However, I do include one tab with every purchase...as well as a small square of polishing cloth...so people can make use of them with their other jewellery too...and people do like to get a 'freebie'!!

I can't find any on the Cooksons site.... Mine are made by 'intercept technology' and you can get info on them by googling 'anti tarnish strips' (or tabs). I have to admit to getting them from 'P..... M.....'

What a lovely idea, Bee, giving someone an antitarnish tab and piece of polishing cloth as a freebie! Now that's another good idea I shall use.

Thanks hun
Jules x

Solunar Silver Studio
18-09-2009, 08:53 AM
What a lovely idea, Bee, giving someone an antitarnish tab and piece of polishing cloth as a freebie! Now that's another good idea I shall use.

Thanks hun
Jules x

That sounds terrible put that way....:-D

No expense spared when it comes to personal presents for my beloved customers!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!:rofl: ....What!! All of 5p I would guess!!.... and I throw in a zip lock bag as well!!! Generous to a fault!!:Y:

agent_44
18-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys, it's got me thinking! Still not sure what I am quite going to do yet. Everything else I have is so meticulously organised, it drive me mad not being able to find a way I like for my stock, too.

Oh and re the anti tarnish tabs, I have been meaning to get some of those since forever, and I keep forgetting, so thanks for the reminder!

kymbi
18-09-2009, 08:59 AM
oooh, thanks for reminding me that I bought some of these tabs ages ago from the supplier George recommended.....now stashed in that "safe place" but where the hell are they?????

Boo
18-09-2009, 09:40 AM
I too give my customers an anti-tarnish tab from Emma with a ziploc bag and if they buy earrings, a selection of earnuts too. I put them in an envelope printed with 'complimentary accessory pack' - which is a bit grand really and must be a bit of a let down for them when they see what's in it. I want to find a cleaning cloth I can cut into small squares too as I've run out of those.

For my own storage I use the longer strips made by 3M - I got mine from Lakeland - can't find them on their site as their search is lousy. You can cut them up to use smaller tabs with individual pieces, but I use a full strip on a storage box. I'm assuming between the good seal on the box and the tabs something works, as I'm not experiencing a tarnish problem, which I did occasionally with bags.

I'll take some photos of my storage boxes later when I need to do some photos.

agent_44
18-09-2009, 09:44 AM
I too give my customers an anti-tarnish tab from Emma with a ziploc bag and if they buy earrings, a selection of earnuts too. I put them in an envelope printed with 'complimentary accessory pack' - which is a bit grand really and must be a bit of a let down for them when they see what's in it. I want to find a cleaning cloth I can cut into small squares too as I've run out of those.

For my own storage I use the longer strips made by 3M - I got mine from Lakeland - can't find them on their site as their search is lousy. You can cut them up to use smaller tabs with individual pieces, but I use a full strip on a storage box. I'm assuming between the good seal on the box and the tabs something works, as I'm not experiencing a tarnish problem, which I did occasionally with bags.

I'll take some photos of my storage boxes later when I need to do some photos.

That would be great if you could Boo, thank you. I was looking for a toolbox/organiser like you described and couldn't find anything like it!

Boo
18-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I have a new box not used yet and I know it has the original label still inside the lid, so I'll get the name of it for you, I know they're made by Stanley and I think I paid £3.99 each for them in Wilkies.

They stack together, so it makes it easy for storage and carrying to craft fairs etc. They work really well for me - and the way I work. But these things are pretty personal and what works for one person won't necessarily suit someone else.

agent_44
18-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Ah, I was looking for full on big tool boxes! They sound quite ideal, actually. Ang there's a Wilkinson's just up the road, hmmm :)

Boo
18-09-2009, 01:51 PM
These are some very rough photos of my storage boxes - one has the label still in so I've taken a photo of that too. I lied - they have 23 compartments (I said 24), one at the front is a double width but also shallower, so on the outside of the box is a hollow space to grip it by - which I find really helpful, you can easily grab one out of a stack and slip it out.

They're translucent and you put the dividers in yourself - so potentially you could leave some out for bigger items. Some of the dividers had notches in them already and I found this really good for hanging earrings on, so cut some more in plain dividers myself. The top is translucent enough that you can see the contents too. I put dark paper underneath so you could see the shape better in some photos.

I'll need to do two posts as I can seemingly only include 4 photos.

Inside the box with my cut slots for earrings:
http://photos.imageevent.com/boophotos/mandie/storage9008f.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/boophotos/mandie/storage9012f.jpg

The box from the outside, translucent enough to see inside:
http://photos.imageevent.com/boophotos/mandie/storage9015f.jpg

The hollow section at the front to pick them up by:
http://photos.imageevent.com/boophotos/mandie/storage9014f.jpg

Boo
18-09-2009, 01:54 PM
The label for the box - I think they were £3.99 each at Wilkinsons, I just buy one periodically when I'm in and have some dosh, hence having a spare.

http://photos.imageevent.com/boophotos/mandie/storage9016f.jpg

I've been using them for a while now and they've been in and out of the car to craft fairs etc. and I'm in them all day, so they've withstood constant use really well.

agent_44
18-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks Boo, now I see them they look even better! I think I have to see if I can get my hands on some.

Thanks again for taking the time to show me everything!

Petal
18-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks so much for sharing your photos with us Boo. []That is one fantstic piece of kit you have there. I love the fact that they have notches in, so you can hang the earrings from and that they are quite deep - really useful. I can see they'll be a sudden rush of us shopping at Wilkinsons to get some of their kit!

So, do you use those boxes as part of your display, so people can choose which pieces of jewellery they want, or they a 'behind the scenes' type of affair?

Ah Bee, all those little extras, whether they are 5p or a bit more give the impression that we are providing something for our customers and we are of course, but its just something that goes that one step further and I like that - its the icing on the cake. :Y: I think customers feel that if they get something complimentary it always feels like a nice bonus - I know it does when I buy something (even if I'm actually paying for it)!.. its still a brillo tip.

Jules x

Sorry Boo, I've just re-read your earlier post and realised you've already said that you put your jewellery out in boxes for your display.

Boo
18-09-2009, 03:15 PM
No, as you've reaslised, I don't use those boxes for display, just my own storage, although they look neat enough that if I have a personal caller, I can open them up on the table and let them look at things in them and it's not important if they pop things back in the wrong pigeon hole etc. as everything is priced. Many of my earrings are either in boxes or on mini freestanding cards - as shown in the photos below - those I just leave assembled and store in an airtight box.

The boxes come with some notches cut in the partitions, but I added many more myself - a highly dangerous session with a rotary tool!

I have some blogs with my stall set up showing:
Boo's Jewellery: Why didn't I think of it sooner!? (http://boojewels.blogspot.com/2008/11/why-didnt-i-think-of-it-sooner.html)
Boo's Jewellery: My jewellery bust templates in use (http://boojewels.blogspot.com/2009/01/my-jewellery-bust-templates-in-use.html)

With a template to download for the busts I make:
Boo's Jewellery: Free necklace display bust template (http://boojewels.blogspot.com/2008/11/free-necklace-display-bust-template.html)

I do things a little differently now and should really update the photos - all my display materials are now either black or cream.

Di Sandland
18-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Boo, thankyou for this. You're so generous with your ideas and solutions and it is much appreciated. []

Emerald
18-09-2009, 04:06 PM
I use the really useful boxes you can stack two trays in one box i like them because they are not to deep, i am that daft hadent even thought of keeping my made up jewellery in them just off to find out wether the bracelets will fit, not as reasonalbe as the ones you have hough Boo i think the box is 3.99 and the trays 1.99 each.

Kalorlo
18-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Boo: those are lovely displays. And your banner - wow! Very resourceful :Y:

NTS: read more of Boo's blog :D

Di Sandland
18-09-2009, 04:13 PM
I use the really useful boxes you can stack two trays in one box i like them because they are not to deep,

These are the ones I use. On the whole I think I prefer Boo's variation.

Emerald
18-09-2009, 04:19 PM
These are the ones I use. On the whole I think I prefer Boo's variation.

Boo's dont look to deep either and they are a far better price so i think i am of the same feeling

Trudy
18-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I use the really useful boxes you can stack two trays in one box i like them because they are not to deep, i am that daft hadent even thought of keeping my made up jewellery in them just off to find out wether the bracelets will fit, not as reasonalbe as the ones you have hough Boo i think the box is 3.99 and the trays 1.99 each.

Emerald, where did you find the inserts for these? I have loads of my bits in these trays but have had to make trays or put everything in to little bags.

agent_44
18-09-2009, 04:25 PM
I forgot about the inserts for the Really useful boxes! I have hundreds of those for various things...

Trudy, I have seen the inserts in Hobbycraft, if that is any help?

Boo
18-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the various kind comments. I think my display looks a tad like a jumble sale sometimes - but it's always a compromise between style, practicality (speed of putting it up, weight for carrying, space for storing etc. etc.), customer ease of use and budget. The current set up addresses most issues pretty well now (after a lot of trial and error and modification) - although it's under constant review. And it doesn't matter how much you put on display, someone will always say "is this all you have?"

If I did fairs/markets on a regular basis, I'd no doubt do things differently.

I was pretty pleased with my banner considering it only cost about a quid.

Emerald
18-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Emerald, where did you find the inserts for these? I have loads of my bits in these trays but have had to make trays or put everything in to little bags.

Hi Trudy i bought mine from Osbounes its a stationers but i dont know if they are nationwide but yes as agent 44 said you can buy them from hobbycraft or online,

Emerald
18-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the various kind comments. I think my display looks a tad like a jumble sale sometimes - but it's always a compromise between style, practicality (speed of putting it up, weight for carrying, space for storing etc. etc.), customer ease of use and budget. The current set up addresses most issues pretty well now (after a lot of trial and error and modification) - although it's under constant review. And it doesn't matter how much you put on display, someone will always say "is this all you have?"

Lol i think that about mine to, last night i thought it looked pretty good but when i looked at the photos today i wasent at all happy with the presentation, i have a stepped shelving unit that was made years ago by and ex and a perspex tower that has seen better days so i think its time to rethink.

Di Sandland
18-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Hi Trudy i bought mine from Osbounes its a stationers but i dont know if they are nationwide but yes as agent 44 said you can buy them from hobbycraft or online,

I got my inserts from Staples.

Trudy
18-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Sorry just all the replies about inserts, thank you :)
I bought the boxes from Hobbycraft but have never seen the dividers there though I will have another look, its always a bit jumbled in there so they could be hiding away somewhere.

Otherwise will try Staples, cheers :)

Ominicci
19-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Wow Boo! Thanks for letting us see the templates they are excellent!! I may even try one or 2 on a full size A4 as I have a couple of longer length neckchains. Like you I have mountains of card too (from my cardmaking days).

agent_44
19-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Sorry just all the replies about inserts, thank you :)
I bought the boxes from Hobbycraft but have never seen the dividers there though I will have another look, its always a bit jumbled in there so they could be hiding away somewhere.

Otherwise will try Staples, cheers :)

If you have no luck, you can order online direct from the manufacturers:

Go Shopping - Really Useful Boxes - Full Range (http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/fullrange_rub.php)

Boo
19-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Wow Boo! Thanks for letting us see the templates they are excellent!! I may even try one or 2 on a full size A4 as I have a couple of longer length neckchains. Like you I have mountains of card too (from my cardmaking days).
I hope you find them useful. If you scale them up to A4 make sure they stay exactly the same shape - if you change the proportions, they don't then fit together. I have a lob-sided cone to add for bracelets at some time too - but that needs some work yet.

After talking about how my storage boxes are good for people to look at items in, I had some friends call in last night, to collect a piece I'd made as a commission. She asked about a particular colour of beads she wanted something making in, so I opened a few boxes to show them pieces and by the time we'd had a brew and a natter and I'd shown her various beads, they'd both been looking through the items and talking about them and they bought a bracelet each. So I secured 2 additional sales just because the items were open in front of them and they felt comfortable enough it picking things up and looking at them.

Green Beetle
20-09-2009, 07:34 PM

I've also used the clear\ really tiny Really Useful boxes - can't quite remember the volume (0.07l, I think) but they are 6.5 x 8 x 3.5 cm and cost about 59p each. I put tissue or foam in the bottom to show up the jewellery. They are small enough for ear rings or pendants.

bustagasket
20-09-2009, 09:11 PM
i use masses of these boxes for various things and i think i have a set of nine of those 0.07l boxes in a kinda "tidy" in which i have things like my rob johnson beads etc.

Most of my crafting stuffing is kept in this range of boxes

Trudy
20-09-2009, 09:16 PM
If you have no luck, you can order online direct from the manufacturers:

Go Shopping - Really Useful Boxes - Full Range (http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/fullrange_rub.php)

Wow I had no idea there were so many different ones available! Thanks for posting this, Im going to place a big order for the inserts and get myself properly organised for once :Y: